And the best distro of 2010 is ...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katio

katio Guest

I say no. Of course its source is "open" and it does use the GNU userland but there's nothing "Free" and "rms approved" about it:
    This thing doesn't run on current AMD CPUs and there is no technical reason for it. As an owner of AMD based computers I'd like to say a few things about Intel here but wilders doesn't let me ;)

Since AMD recently joined the project there is hope that this will change. However I'm not too sure. They might only push their latest and greatest CPUs that they want to sell which will support SSSE3.
    The other hope is "the community" which could recompile the whole thing sans artificial restrictions.

/rant and sorry for straying off-topic

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

... Is there such a thing as an AMD netbook yet?

3. katio

katio Guest

Sure, Athlon Neo
    Acer Aspire One 721, 1551
    ASUS Eee PC 1015T, 1201T
    Dell Inspiron M101z
    Samsung X125
    and others...

I'd like to play with it in a VM, which is a perfectly valid use considering this is still more or less in development.

4. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I have not used linux on my main pc for a few years now but this thread has re-awakened my interest.

After trying Mint and a few of the other recommendations i have ended up reinstalling PCLinuxOS.
    Why?
    Because it is the only Distro that boots and works out of the box, i have spent numerous hours on them but there always seems to be something that will not work, be it a mouse, keyboard, soundcard etc, hours of configurations and forum questions never provide a solution.

For me it just works, though for some i guess it wont.

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I'm not by any means debating that this happened to you, but fortunately it has not happened to me. Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS and Mint have not required any tinkering for hardware to work.
    Maybe I've been lucky?

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Mint has never been my cup of tea (or coffee in my case...:)). Their theme color of choice never appealed to me...it actually turned me off. Besides, there's nothing in Mint that comes pre-installed that I can't get from synaptic and install myself. As far as Mint-Menu goes I prefer gnome-main-menu (it's easily tweaked...change Computer to whatever you wish as well as the icon). Also, gnome-main-menu uses very little resources (4.2 mbs on my system). Compare that to Mint-Menu. Mint also messed with synaptic which I don't like. Notice that "Select all updates" is missing which basically forces you to use their updater which again uses a lot of resources.

These are but a few reasons why I'll likely never use Mint.

Just my opinion...and

Later...

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Hm, I think it was several years ago when I had problems with updates under Ubuntu (and AFAIR that was related to a new graphics driver that somehow mixed up xorg.conf). Besides, kernel updates are usually security-related. It's problematic to abstain from them.

8. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Correct, it is open.
    They're not alone in this naming issue.
    Besides it still being very new (half a year old and only one major version), yeah, Intel is a major reason this distro exists. I doubt AMD would rush to support the Atoms if the shoe were on the other foot. This thing isn't even officially supported on a lot of Intel-powered netbooks yet.

I hope it does change.
    The community exists. It's real. I see this little MeeGo thing doing pretty well before very long and yes, forks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Fedora 14, because it has SELinux installed as default.

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

fedora 14 is awesome as fedora 13 but the

rocking distro would be redhat 6 :D and cant wait to get my hands on stable scientific Linux 6 with long term support what pain about fedora on laptops is no long term support ;)

and not only SELinux installed as default. but full disk encryption as well in a easy way :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.