Ancestry.com and SpywareBlaster - maybe

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Manny Carvalho, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manny Carvalho

    Manny Carvalho Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Posts:
    270
    I need a little direction in a problem involving ancestry.com on my wife's computer and maybe spywareblaster. This isn't highly reproducible so I can't say SB is totally involved but here goes.

    System:
    Vista Ultimate with IE8, SB 4.3 all up to date. Quad core system with plenty of resources. All machines involved here are clean with no infections.

    Problem:
    Once in a while ancestry.com refuses to load in IE8 or, if it loads, many things such as search don't work. No other sites she goes to have this problem. It only happens in Ancestry.com.

    Workaround:
    By trial and error, the problem resolves itself if I toggle all protection off. I can then toggle it back on and everything seems to work at ancestry.com until the next SpywareBlaster update.

    The kicker with this problem is that on my machine, similarly equipped, except with Win 7 none of this happens. So it seems machine specific but why would toggling protection in SB resolve the issue?

    I think the problem may involve 3rd party cookies, perhaps doubleclick, since it seems that if I toggle just the cookie protection in SB this resolve the issue. And I say doubleclick might be involved because I see errors for that site.

    I've scrubbed IE's temp files, removed all cookies, deleted index.dat and all kinds of things. Ancestry.com tech support answer is to use a different browser.

    The whole thing is murky and just darn hard to reproduce but a SB update seems to be involved here. Frankly, it makes no sense to me particularly since I see no issues on my machine. I've been working on this thing for months without a whole lot of success. I'm sure there are details I've left out here since it's been going on for such a long time.

    The problem arose again yesterday after I did a SB update. I rebooted the machine and ancestry.com worked but when she got to using it today it didn't and I fixed it -I don't know for how long - by toggling cookie protection in SB. So I need help.

    I'm hoping somebody might provide a little direction on getting a more permanent fix.

    Thanks.
     
  2. Manny Carvalho

    Manny Carvalho Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Posts:
    270
    I appreciate all those who have looked through this. I know it's a bit odd but I posted it just in case somebody else had any similar experiences.

    Thus far there have been no issues since I first started the thread.
     
  3. Cudni

    Cudni Global Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Posts:
    6,956
    Location:
    Somethingshire
    It might well be as you said that it is your config specific. And your workaround/fix stands
     
  4. Manny Carvalho

    Manny Carvalho Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Posts:
    270
    I made a little progress into this I think and it looks like it had nothing to do with SpywareBlaster. Whatever happened was coincidental I think.

    Apparently there was a partially corrupted flash install. It worked for most things but not for others. Removing it with their uninstall tool and reinstalling flash seems to have fixed the issue. At least for now.

    I'm still not 100% convinced this is solved as several prior "solutions" eluded me. But at least this one dealing with flash is somewhat understandable.

    My apologies for implicating SB with this problem but the clues were kind of sparse and results irreproducible.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.