AnandTech Site slow

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by techtype, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techtype

techtype Registered Member

This puzzles me: http://www.anandtech.com/

This site is almost always very slow to load with Nod32 version 3, especially upon first visit. It's also slow to go on to the forums from the main page. Both load fine with version 2.7. Now, it's been a known problem with Kaspersky that this particular site is slow to load with version 7.xxxx also. Since I have licenses for both, I switched back to Nod32 (v2.7) to avoid this problem. But now the AnandTech curse has caught up to me in Nod32 version 3. Excluding the site in HTTP options does nothing to speed it up. This is an important tech site for me or I would just stop going there.

Any brilliant ideas out there?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I clicked on the link and that site loads in seconds for me and so does the fourm. have you tried reseting your cookies for that site.

3. techtype

I should have mentioned that I run a small testing lab. I can sit here with two identical machines, except one is running v2.7 and one is running v3. Simultaneously clicking a link to AnandTech on both machines will result in one loading almost instantly and one taking several seconds. (the version 3 machine will be the slow one) This is repeatable and can be reversed by switching the installed versions between machines.

4. Dieselman

Ok I get you but I have NOD32 3.0.621.0 and that site loads in about 2- 3 secs. What firewall are you using? Do you user a DNS server? I use Open DNS which has really improved website loading.

5. reddice

reddice Registered Member

I have the same problem too and it bugs me to the end of time. Most sites load fast except for that one and http://www.cyberpowerpc.com. I always read posts on here saying that those sites load in seconds but for me it takes minutes. It has only happened since I updated to version 3. You would think by now they will fix this. Disabling protection does nothing so it is a problem with the program.

I think it affects mainly Vista users because the people who are having problems loading these sites are using Vista and the ones that load in seconds are using XP.

6. techtype

Yes, it's Vista and Version 3. I confirm everything that you said, including "Disabling protection does nothing". Only an uninstall fixes it. Sorry that you are a fellow sufferer! It does not look good for any solution!

7. Dieselman

Well I am on XP and both those sites load in secs. Another reason I will not upgrade to Vista.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running vista with Mcafee AV plus and the pages in question open immediatly. I don't see where the OS would effect a page opening. It would more than likely just be the software setup on the particular computers having the problem.

9. Dieselman

True.................

10. techtype

OK, Eset support -- here is confirmation that it is your problem. I did find a way to get these pages loading instantly. see the attached snapshot for a fix (not good for security though).

Attached Files:

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello techtype,

Is that on the Vista machine ?
    Also, on that machine, if you use IE does it give you issues with that site ? hopefully I did not over look where you have tried IE on that install

Bubba

12. techtype

Yes, this is Vista 64 Bit and Internet Explorer behaves the same way. It is so interesting to me that excluding the url from scanning or even turning off protection does nothing. But, the red x fixes it. There has got to be a great clue hidden there!

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In Web browsers > Active mode, do you have IE or Firefox checked(active mode) or un-checked(passive mode\higher compatibility) ?

14. techtype

I just leave them at default (unchecked) as I pretty much leave everything at default. However, when I was experimenting, I tried checking them (on the oddball chance that they might counter-intuitively fix the problem).

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm still attempting to determine if reddice's link above(cyberpowerpc) contains it but your site(anandtech.com) is using Pipeboost as noted at the bottom of anandtech's page. While this does not resolve anything, I'm wondering if Nod is choking on Pipeboosts compression :doubt:

How does PipeBoost™ Work?

16. techtype

Nice find there Bubba!! I'll look into workarounds for Pipeboost.

Edit: no I don't think that is it. I can download test pages from Pipeboost.com with no problem.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  17. techtype

Well, this is now a "dead horse" for me as I have gone back to 2.7 permanently. It will be a long time before I experiment with version 3 again.

However, I must give this horse one last whack. I found that a vmware virtual machine with XP and Nod32 version 2.7 installed can load the problem pages instantly. Note: this virtual machine is running on a Vista 64 host with Nod32 version 3 that cannot load the very same pages without a huge delay. Anyway, switching back to Nod32 version 2.7 on the host fixes the problem for it also. So "Goodbye version 3", please don't ring my doorbell again anytime soon.

Edit: Geeez, the whole machine is much snappier now --- and this one is a QX9650 so it should have been able to overpower any slowness in Nod32 version 3. Something ain't right with that baby!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  18. rgbshack

rgbshack Registered Member

I have the same issue with the anandtech website, but im finding the number of websites with this same issue growing.

I have 15 pc's, all with different specifications.

12 of the pc's have the the Vista 32bit Ultimate operating system and have Eset Nod32 Antivirus 3.0.621.0 Business installed , the other 3 have xp professional and Eset Nod32 Antivirus 3.0.621.0 Business installed.

The 3 xp pc's are unaffected with this issue.
    the 12 Vista pc's are all affected with this issue.

the problem effects both Internet Explorer & Firefox

a couple of websites with the same issue :

http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk
    http://www.qualitymagazines.co.uk

the only way i have found to fix the problam so far is to mark the red cross on the internet browsers as previous mentioned.

this is a frustrating problem?, is this issue something Eset is working on ?

19. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

Not to dismiss your problem, but just so you know, I'm running 3.0.621 here on Vista 32-bit (Ultimate) and all these website load fine for me in IE7. So it IS possible. :)

20. techtype

Not to dismiss your response, but "fine" is a relative word. What I discussed was a controlled experiment making a speed comparison between Version 2 and version 3 under identical conditions (with no other firewalls, antivirus programs, malware programs, etc running)

Version 2 = Instantaneous loading
    Version 3 = several seconds (may seem fine to some)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.