An idea

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Notok, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

With the advent of the new Http scanning, has anyone thought about making an extention for Mozilla/Firefox? It would be really cool if you could add an option to the right click menu to scan an online file, like the context menu in explorer. You could probably also add some efficiency to the normal Http scanning. This would be a great way to reward those using a more secure browser, plus if you left it open source and listed it on Mozdev you could potentially draw some more attention to NOD32 through the Mozilla community.

2. Pete_x

Pete_x Guest

imon http scanner scans all incoming data on port 80 so in other words there is no need for a right click option, you can also add ports to the defaults

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Once you view an item (a picture, web page, .pdf), you have already "downloaded" it in some form into your computer (usually the browser cache on your HD). With the IMON HTTP scanning, it is unecessary to right click on the webpage item because IMON intercepts the downloading items before it gets to the browser. Check out this info.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't scan EVERY download with all your best scanners before executing it. I scan EVERY download with the NOD32 on demand scanner and an AT at least.

There is a nice FireFox extension called Download Statusbar. It makes many improvements over the default download manager. One of the nicest features is it can be configured to launch NOD32 to scan the download automatically.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The idea wouldn't be to scan images and such that are already downloaded, but links to files if you are, say, suspicious of a website. I do also use a download manager configured w/ NOD32. Although in retrospect I can see that I did not make it very clear, the ability to scan files online was secondary to the aspect of the enhanced efficiency that could be had by essentially slipping NOD32 into the browser itself.

You are absolutely right, none of this would be totaly necessary, but there is an opportunity to create some enhanced functionality and some additional "cool stuff" without, I suspect, an abundance of effort on the part of the ESET team. At the very least I imagine it could give even more of the efficient performance that NOD32 is already famous for. It would also give NOD32 some additional exposure while giving those with programming skills a way to get involved and generate ideas. Create something simple and let the fans play with it, you never know what you'll end up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.