An excellent driver updater - ma-config.com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jaspion, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Here i am the exception, but after many years trying to update everything, i came to this conclusion:

The only driver that possibly could need updating is the video card one, specially if you are gamer.

In other cases, new drivers can bring actually lower performance or instability, because they are optimized for newer hardware. Today i actually downgraded my Realtek ethernet drivers, because the ones suggested in my motherboard's manufacturer's site are make browsing considerably faster than the "latest" from Realtek site and it's not my imagination, i tried it many times with clean images.

My suggestion is: If you have a BSOD-free PC and you don't need to upgrade drivers, don't. Probably only the video drivers could need upgrading, since they can bring more features of bug fixes or better performance on new games.

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

off-course bro what were you thinking? it's a driver

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

On all my computers and on any computers I fix I install the latest drivers, and doing so hasn't given me any problems. The times I've had problems are when incompatible drivers have been installed.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Some updated drivers are actually really needed.

An example: some time ago, researchers discovered a critical vulnerability affecting drivers for Atheros wireless adapters. Updated and fixed drivers were released by Atheros, but if you go to the official support site of the manufacturers of some old notebooks, you won't find the fixed (and not vulnerable) versions of Atheros drivers - you will find old affected versions of the drivers, instead.

In this particular case, Microsoft came to the rescue - it offered the update for those affected, via Microsoft/Windows Update.

Anyways, my point here is that, sometimes, "general" manufacturers neglect needed updates released by manufacturers of smaller components.

So you need to be careful with them too.

5. indie

indie Registered Member

That web-site, my-config.com, acquires a lot of information about my computer. What happens to that info?
    Also, in order to get updates, you are transferred to a new site, http://www.touslesdrivers.com/, but I don't speak French.

6. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

You can configure the amount of information gathered. You can also delete whatever information they got. Check the settings.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im always weary of these sort of programs and updating drivers in general.

My one and only BSOD came from using slim drivers.

Once bitten,twice shy.:)

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Updating drivers can cause huge problems when an incorrect driver update is found. However if you are careful about what updates you install you can greatly minimise the chance of problems. If the driver update software you are using gives information on both the current driver and update found, make sure that the manufacturer of both drivers is the same. For example it is reasonably common for driver update software to try and replace certain generic bluetooth drives with one from Toshiba or Motorola, and these drivers are often incompatible, meaning that bluetooth will no longer work until the original driver is restored.

9. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Been there - done that with driver updating! Fully agree with you man!
    If it ain't broke.......!

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks a lot!:thumb:

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you roger for your response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.