aMSN help Please

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I installed aMSN and it is working.I installed farsight plugin too.I hear the sound, I check the mic they both work.But at the end I get this error which I do not understand.I googled but I do not know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cet,

If you are looking for a better msn client, check out Emesene via the repo, also Kopete does video with MSN, aMSN works fine in gnome but for some reason people run into issues like the one above when its used in KDE like in kubuntu.

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Kopete and aMSN work fine as a simple messenger.What I am really looking for is the VoIp feature.I tried Ekiga but I could not make it work.I want to chat with my daughter (Vista).What is the easiest way of chatting (VoIp) from Kubuntu to Vista?

4. linuxforall

Cet,

VOIP is best with Skype, nothing in Linux world comes close, tell your daughter to setup a Skype account and install Skype in Kubuntu by downloading it from Skype site, this is what I use to video conference and chat daily with my nephew in Germany and my wife in the Philippines.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

Linuxforall,
    Is it better to install Skype now or wait and install after the Kubuntu 10.04 update?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  6. linuxforall

I always do fresh install on updates but if you are upgrading from your current distro to 10.04, then its better to wait although I don't see any issues should crop up anyways.

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

i also do fresh installs. I must say I am a bit apprehensive regarding Lucid given all the trouble with nvidia and plymouth etc. I wonder if 3D will be OK (Compiz) and whether it is humanly possible to sort out all the current problems. Apprehension because I would be replacing my trusty Hardy (main working distro) with Lynx. Might be a good idea to wait a month before installing Lucid. :doubt:

8. linuxforall

I will go for it on 29th itself, for my institutions, I will wait for two weeks before replacing Hardy on them. Nvidia and Plymouth bugs are being weeded out, I don't see any issues there, installing nvidia drivers via the run file remains to be seen, I only install via that method so its quite important for me that it works without any issues, in Fedora, I ran into hell trying to install via the run file, its always been a breeze in Ubuntu and Debian till now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.