AMD vs Intel...Big difference?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Some programs mention specific processors in their system requirements. For example, the CPU requirement for the game UT2004 is:
    or for Photoshop CS3:
    However in that example, there is no mention of an equivalent AMD processor.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Gotcha, I was thinking along different lines. I was thinking processors specifically. :thumb:

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Usually,a minimum power requirement for the CPU is specified for different programs .
    Some apps.such as graphics,would run better with Intel Duo or Quad Core,but there is absolutely no reason why either make cant be generally used,provided they are powerful enough.
    Games are now being developed to run with Intel Quad Core,but this is a specialized usage.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Basically the same way most graphical intense games say "Nvidia, The Way It's Meant To Be Played" :D.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Interestingly enough :)P), a lot of those NVIDIA games run darn well on ATI cards; and a few actually run better on ATI cards ;)

So it doesn't necessarily mean that because it says Intel, one should use an Intel CPU for that application. Sometimes optimizations made for Intel CPUs benefit AMD processors to an equal extent. :)

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

The specifications of the laptop purchased is bus speed up to 1600mhz but cpu-z is stuck at 200-201mhz so is this normal or problem?

7. Hairy Coo

Usually BIOS has a setting which regulates the amount of CPU power usage depending upon actual demand,so the 210 figure could just be the amount needed to get CPU-Z running,doesnt mean the actual quoted power isnt available.
    I found this setting useless and disabled it,butyou would have to research your BIOS to find out which to change.
    Try a power intensive app., the figure should change-if not there may be a problem.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Firecat, thanks for the feedback. Then it might be my slow videocard or something. I have an ATI Radeon X600, it´s quite old.

Well, it´s strange, but it refuses to run, while FIFA 2006 (the best version ever :thumb: ) and FIFA 2007/2008 run smoothly.

I must say that this started with the newer Flash v9 plugins, so perhaps it´s some bug, or perhaps it has been corrupted.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Perform an uninstall with the Adobe tool and reinstall using the offline installer (IE, Firefox)
    How Hypertransport works :)
    The answer to your question is located on page 2.

10. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Bus speed up to 1600 ? lol
    Is it a skulltrail laptop>?

11. lucas1985

800 MHz Hypertransport. Hypertransport is a DDR type bus, so a 800 MHz bus makes 1600 MT/s of 16 bits in each direction (6.4 GB/s of total bandwidth)

12. Ragzarok

Oh, it is a Turion. LoL sorry. I thought they were making laptops with 1600 FSB speeds already. lol.

N/e ways,
    I started w/ AMD and ended with the Windsor 5600+ for about 3 months before dumping it for a Conroe. In my experience, just about any thing intel will smack AMD or to put it another way, the worst of Intel will spank the best of AMD. I mean heck, I paid $250 for the Windsor, and at best, I was only able to clock it @ 3.1Ghz whereas an E6320 Conroe @ $150 was able to run 3.8Ghz. Just saying :).
    I'm on the Wolfdale now, dragging along @ 4.2.Ghz.

13. lucas1985

Before Core 2, AMD smacked pretty much all Intel's line up.

14. Ragzarok

Hope it happens again soon. Doubtful though. They're about a year behind. Intel's pricing plan is actually really good right now though...

15. lucas1985

Me too. Competition drives innovation and keeps prices under control.
    Sadly, you're right. AMD has become a dud at executing and its finances make me cry :'(
    Yup, I'm going to buy a Q9450 and I won't upgrade a thing until the second revision of Nehalem or whatever AMD will have at that time.

16. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Alot better power effiency on Intel and more bang for your buck as they say. The power effiency will even be better on the Penryn and Nehalem chips this year. I am going to wait for the Intel Nehalem expected end of this year as the Penryn you buy now is a small speed increase whereas the Nehalem is whole new architecture with 8 cores a new type of hyperthreading and lots of other new technologies. Will be great for those who play chess. Though i use ATI(AMD) graphic cards. I think ATI is what is making the most money for AMD. They won't have a chip to compete until 2009 plus they can't win on power saving. so it don't look good for AMD but they have the fastest graphics card on the market for now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  17. lucas1985

But a worthwhile speed increase in the end (from a cheap E2140)
    Lots of new technologies = lots of things which might go wrong. I alwyas wait for the second (or third) revision of everything technology-related, specially hardware and OSes. OTOH, 4 cores is more than enough for me. Very few (if any) applications are able to scale from 4 to 8 cores and multitasking with 8 cores would require massive I/O bandwidth.

18. Hairy Coo

Sounds exiting-will be time for a renew of my E6600

Re the chess-lets hope this chip will allow the human being type of person to occasionally win:mad:

19. markymoo

lucas1985

Intel chips always work when you buy them due to fantastic quality control. I don't think i can wait long enough for the 2nd 3rd revision and it like a tiny minor fault if any. As it can be alot months after and from an overclocking perspective 1st revisions can sometimes overclock higher. Plus the memory controller will be on the chip instead of the motherboard so this will open up new possibilities to overclock. To go from a E2140 chip you will be content for long time :)

Hairy Coo

i only have a 6400 but its running at 3.8gig right now. so we will get a big boost like alot will :) Adobe should support the new cores i would expect and it be great for encoding video and Winrar lol but yes like quad core can be a waste of money for everyday use but at least this Nehalem will have great multi-tasking power 16 threads(alot!) Interestingly the cpu power of now still won't be as powerful as Big Blue for chess that built and won in 1997.

20. Hairy Coo

markymoo,

Great overclock-is it watercooled?
    Mine wont go higher than 3.4 suspect the Northbridge/Southbridge may need more voltage.

21. lucas1985

Intel has had its duds in the past, like everyone else. I don't like to pay the cost of the early adopter.

22. markymoo

Hairy Coo

It would help to get a Northbridge cooler as it gets very hot but it might not make a huge difference depending on your motherboard. yes watercooled - i got to 4gig stable but only after removing the top of the intel chip which is pure copper underneath to make better contact which is something i seriously don't recommend. The highest temperature report by Intel limit for stable running of Conroe is 60C at 100% utilization. Normal temps of most average systems run around 40-50 with watercooling can get it as low as 20C with a good setup. thermochill radiators are the best. I had this watercooled pc running for 4 months constantly 24/7 now. Once you get watercooling you never go back. :)

lucas1985
    i'm surprised you had that with Intel even with OEM

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  23. lucas1985

You don't remember the divider bug in the first Pentium? Or the unstable P3 1.13 GHz? Or the PressHot? Or the early i81x chipsets (the ones which followed the great i440BX)?

24. markymoo

lucas1985
    I remember the Pentium 3 bug we going back alot years. There's been alot cpus released since then. I respect your cautioness but i will chance it like the last seven cpus that have been ok. I'm sure they raised there standard now too but bugs are bugs. What is it now just 700 million transistors? lol

25. Hairy Coo

markymoo

Great result:thumb: :thumb:
    My Ultra Extreme air holds the temp in the low 30's generally-not too bad.

Shows the hidden power of these chips-anyone who doesn't try to overclock is just wasting potential,when you can safely increase power by say minimum of 40%.
    Intel really expects you to,even the Intel motherboard's BIOS is set up to facilitate this.

Re 700 million transistors in the chips-not so long ago-portable radios and the like had maybe 15 transistors-1 transistor replaced one valve-but they worked !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.