AMD no longer able to follow Moore's Law?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Eagle Creek, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Full article: http://www.dvhardware.net/article26229.html

2. Eagle Creek

For years it has been "Intel, AMD, Intel, AMD, Intel, AMD" who was taking the lead. Then Intel almost smashed AMD at the server market and now they are also getting behind with the desktop business.

Very interesting developments.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. My next computer will have an Intel processor following Darwin's Law : the survival of the fittest. :)

4. Eagle Creek

:D:D

I've always been a fan of Intel, I don't know why. These days it also provides a lot of power to your machine, so my new PC has been shipped with an Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor. Can't wait to see it working!

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I feel bad, a healthy competition between the two was in favour of customers.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Or the survival of the virtual monopoly ;)
    Very true.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Monopoly !??! Institutions with greater power will break it,remember the recent MS disaster in the EU.;)

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I should have said unfair practices using its dominant market position.

9. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

"But the 'fittest' which survives in the struggle for existence, may be, and often is, the ethically worst." - Thomas Huxley

10. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Does this mean, inversely, that AMD will no longer be able to follow Gates' Law either: "the speed of commercial software generally slows by fifty percent every 18 months." :D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont you mean whatever Intel brings in microsoft takes away?
    intel brings in Quad core processer,microsoft takes the power away by shipping vista and office 2007 LOL.
    my last pc was AMD based due to it being better at the time. plus i like suppporting the little guy. but this time round intel are kicking as so had to get an intel Quad.

12. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

yeah, this would mean we might no longer see competitive pricing between Intel and AMD.
    IMO, it doesn't matter whether AMD is lagging behind with Intel with regards to processor technology. I don't think there currently exist operating systems and software applications that are able to tap the full potential of multi-core processing anyway.
    Why MS vista or office 2007 is slow is not because of the machine itself but poor programming, I believe. Some Linux window managers have 3D capabilities with snappy speed on reasonably spec-ed machines.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think AMD is set to make a comeback this year (or at most the next year). Though it doesn't change things in the grand picture, the new Phenom 9750 and 9850's launch apparently had many critics saying that AMD is at least "back in the game". Whether it be through aggressive pricing or good performance (this time its more the former than latter), AMD still delivers good price-to-performance ratios. I think some interesting things are coming from both AMD and ATI this year, best to stay tuned. ;)

14. Eagle Creek

Never seen this quote before, sounds interesting.

Still: I do wonder what the future will bring for AMD. If they would go bankrupt (I don't think so but some people on the net say they will), Intel would be the absolute #1. No competition left.

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would really hate to see AMD cease to exist. After many years of computer use I definatly prefer AMD processors. I could survive with Intel since they do make a good product but I have had much better performance with AMD over the years.

bigc

16. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

AMD user as well. I have not seen the talk on AMD going out of business. I have however seen articles on them reducing man power. Unlike most companies though, AMD seems to be trimming from the top down. Have also read some articles of a possible buy out. 2 names listed were Nvidia, not a good thing for the prices in the graphics card market. Also saw IBM mentioned.

Side note but maybe related. Read where IBM wants to get back into the general consumer market again. With AMDs reduced value per share, proven server based products, and good performance in the desktop market.....might make a good fit. :doubt:

Whatever happens, I do not see them going quietly.

17. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

I must be the only one who thinks Moore's Law is just self fulfilling prophecy and not really based on any real scientific basis. It's just perpetuated itself this way. I mean after all, if they so wished companies could double or triple their factories, research and so forth and reduce development times. Or they could cut back and take much longer than two years.

Anyway, sad to see AMD having continued problems. A monopoly is good for nobody except the one holding the monopoly - which will be Intel at this rate. AMD used to be a good source of cheaper alternative CPUs to Intel but they've been unable to maintain that it appears. I hope they can turn things around somehow and don't fade away, if only so there is some competition to try and keep prices down. And I'm an Intel user...

18. krypton_harsh

krypton_harsh Registered Member

I Hope AMD has something up their sleeves...
    they have been my favourite for years now...
    i wondering the benchmarking results of quad core processors of intel and amd.
    i think amd is starting up wiht some 8mb cache processor for quad core
    lets see the future of the processors

19. Eagle Creek

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Long time dual AMD user switched to core2duo and was very impressed as it performed better than my dual core AMD. Now I have two machines, one with Phenom quad core and one Intel quad core, both perform admirably at anything I can throw at them.

21. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I don't think AMD will just die. Too much at stake to just have one chip maker, other entities may step in the event anything dire happens.

22. L815

L815 Guest

I used to be an AMD guy but ever since I got my recent laptop with duo core intel, I am impressed :)

I like both, but Intel is my preferred choice now.

I agree AMD won't just fall off the map. I see about 50/50 in laptops which concludes they are still popular. But Intel seems to be making huge progress, and now that they've opened up to Linux developers, it's a whole new world :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.