Ambiguous Drive Letter

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:( I just reinstalled XP Pro after having several Blue Screens after installing the Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Sound Card :mad: (using Vista at the time) But I didnt check and Windows Marked My Second HD (Used for Data Storeage Only)as C: and my Primary Drive as F: :mad: But Disk Management says I cant rename a System Drive :( Has anyone found a way to do this, so I can rename my Primary Drive back to C: Without me having to do a complete reinstall o_O

2. axial

axial Registered Member

Yes, it is possible to get the system drive letter back to C:, but it takes a bit of digging.

I had to do this for a friend some time ago. I have some notes here, it might take me a little while to find them, sorry, but I'll give it a try. Don't do a complete reinstall yet, because reinstall doesn't always fix the problem.

3. axial

axial Registered Member

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If you have a win98 floppy, you can do the fdisk /mbr command. that might get the "mounted devices" drive letter back to c: . Also you can manually edit the registry to get the "mounted devices" drive letter changed, but you need to do this from a bootcd (aka bartpe) It can not be done from within windows. If you get it change and the computer won't boot than you will need to check the "partition ID" drive letter.

Make sure that the "partition ID" drive letter matches the "mounted devices" drive letter. both should be c: . A "boot corrector" is the only utility that can change the "partition ID" drive letter. But you need to use an updated "boot corrector" usually included as an addon on "paragon partition manager 9.0" and also "paragon drive backup 9.0" both have the 2008 build of the "boot corrector" .

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.