Am I SECURE Enough ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by squash, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Guest

Paranoid2000,

The privoxy thing is only for Linux, i checked the sites and and there are only RPMS... and last web filter I used was WebWasher classic ... but made forums render incorrectly in firefox until i turned it off...

I might consider using an online anomymising website thing, but it might slow down my web browsing, some sites might not work correctly and the anonmising website thing itself might contains ads...

As for ISPs recording websites a person goes to, isn't that invading a persons' privacy. I think that the ISPs shouldn't record what people visit and stuff... As for the sites a person goes to, if a ISP can record what websites a person goes to, who knows they might even record what a person sends and receives... :-| credit cards numbers, personal info, chat convos... the works!!!

2. squash

squash Guest

I checked out JAP, and it wasn't good... I tried the-cloak and it seemed pretty good, but it's limited...

So are there any other anonymous surfing things out there that are reputable, ad-free and FREE ?

3. squash

squash Guest

And just how SAFE is it to use anonymous browsing websites, will it be possible for them for record what a person sends and receives like passwords etc. ?

4. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Well if you already know what you are doing, perhaps you don't need to come here :)

Hmm Hackers don't need to know you are online to attack you, not at the start anyway. And I don't buy into the stealth myth anyway. There are other easier ways to know if you are online.

As Paranoid mentions while in theory a properly configured firewall (difficult to do sometimes) is sufficient to block most windows based exploits, I still feel it's more secure to avoid as many weaknesses as possible instead of relying on a firewall. This is espically so if you use only a software firewal..........

and all the other security vulnerabilities I would need to care about is mainly in the browser... but I use Mozilla Firefox, so I don't need to really care THAT much... except I wish that mozilla firefox had a security patches section instead of making people upgrade each time...[/QUOTE]

5. squash

squash Guest

I'm just not gonna be bothered to use some 'proxy' i don't it to slow my web browsing speed... and to load some page each time and type into a small box for an address... and when i click a link nstead of typing in THEIR box... the proxy address thing is gone... :-|

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You don't do this with Proxomitron... You browse like normal ;)

Cheers :D

7. squash

squash Guest

But I can't hide my IP Address with proxmomitron or others like Web Washer, proxies are the only way...

8. 1234

1234 Guest

9. 1234

1234 Guest

Forgot to add that Smartfix is free, and really only works with IE.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Privoxy is available for Windows, AmigaOS, OS/2, Mac OSX and Solaris/BSD as well as Linux. All the versions are available on their download page (Windows executables are at the bottom).
    Of course these may happen - the question is do you value your privacy enough to consider these tolerable?
    Welcome to the New World (TM). ISPs can see every data packet your PC sends or receives so you should consider anything that isn't encrypted as open to public view. As for recording data, this depends on the legal situation in your country - many have however imposed requirements on ISPs to log and retain this information (in the UK this is covered by Part 11 of the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001).
    This is where JAP scores - you just configure your browser to use it (proxy address 127.0.0.1 port 4001) and browse as normal. Speed can be slow but there are multiple mixes available so if you take the time to learn the interface, you should find it perfectly tolerable (I've had speeds of up to 30KB/s - but this tends to apply to larger webpages only).
    Does this just route traffic through a public proxy server? If so, then it will hide your IP address from websites you visit, but will do nothing to prevent an ISP from recording your activities.

11. squash

squash Guest

Update I've replaced spywareblaster with spywareguard to my setup see post number 24 of this thread...

12. Blackspear

You need both:

Spyware Guard is a real-time scanner for your browser homepage.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

1. Fast Real-Time Scanning engine - catch and block spyware before it is executed (EXE and CAB files supported) with signature-based scanning for known spyware and heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new/mutated spyware

2. Download Protection - prevent spyware from being downloaded in Internet Explorer

3. Browser Hijacking Protection - stop browser hijacking activity in real-time

Spyware Blaster places keys in the registry which prevent spyware from loading:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

1. Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, diallers, and other potentially unwanted pests.

2. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.

3. Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

You seem to be wavering in regards to security and what to have and what not to, here is a link to what I have installed on my system, and they all play together nicely :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45284&page=1&pp=25

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  13. squash

squash Guest

Your setup is definitely an OVERKILL!!
    I wouldn't think you would need that much...

Remember, I'm trying to aim for the less amount of programs with the most protection, not something that I will hardly use, ever need or does basically not that much...

How would I need SpywareBlaster also, If i have both SpywareGuard AND Ad-aware... and I use Mozilla Firefox which DOES NOT have ActiveX technology...

14. squash

squash Guest

Update:

Mozilla Firefox

Resident Programs:
    AVG AntiVirus
    Kerio Personal Firewall
    SpywareGuard
    Abtrusion Protector

Non Resident:
    Ad-aware

15. 1234

1234 Guest

Squash, i liken your security setup to that of a house with a steel door and steel bars over the windows, so no crook can enter, but then forgetting to put locks on the doors. Blackspears security setup is a very good one and is definitely not overkill. You say you know so much about what you're doing, but it does not appear that way to a casual observer.

Paranoid, I think you are probably right about the proxy in Smartfix. I seriously doubt it encrypts the data from your isp.

16. Blackspear

My systems are set up very tight, I have a few others in the household who are a bit "Click Happy" and try to put the security through its paces, so it needs to be secure. I try not to have programs overlap in their functions...

Did you go to the Javacool links that I provided and read about what each products function is, Javacool does not put out 2 different programs for nothing if one could have done the job...

I would use Spybot Search and Destroy, before I would use AdAware, as it has a registry monitor called Tea Timer...

Hope this helps...

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Casual observer drops in, reads thread, retains information (It does seem squash you could really benefit from the experienced advise of participants in this thread. These people have written {members} very informative threads covering many important issues, many which I have read to inform myself. You could try to investigate some of their options, which will involve a little effort on your part. They offer their time and assistance...),
    exits...

GF

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  18. squash

squash Guest

I think I know that I am secure enough... but I wanted to see if it IS really secure enough and see what people have to say...

Just because I am a so-called 'guest' poster does not mean I am a newbie and lack any security information...

Anyway, I now have both SpywareBlaster AND SpywareGuard

That Smartfix thing does not seem to hides a person IP Address, i read the info on majorgeeks and doubt a 1.4 mb program or something can do that... I think the only way is by proxy - which itself that can be security risk especially those ip number ones with no hostname.

19. 1234

1234 Guest

Actually Squash, Smartfix does use a proxy to hide your ip address, the program just provides a quick route to it. But, i couldn't get it to work with Firefox, not to say it wouldn't work with FF, i just don't have the time to figure it out. It is still a good program and worth checking out IMO. And the price is definitely not bad either (free). If you do decide to try the program you can test the proxy here http://www.electronicprivacy.com or here http://www.whatismyipaddress.net and you will see it does indeed hide your true ip address. Don't forget to try these sites without the proxy on too. :)

20. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

I have just installed smartfix and it does work. The only thing that I don't like is that you have to type in the address of the page you want to visit in the address bar. If you just click on a link, it doesn't work.All in all. smartfix does what it says.

21. Blackspear

Have you tried the exploit tests here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11975

Let us know how you go ;)

Good to see…

The size of the program has no relevance to its function…

22. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

While I have the impression some guests posting here are hacker level, I must agree with others that you give me the impression you don't quite know what you are doing. You obviously know s more than the typical newbie who doesn't care for security of course, but you do seem to be below the level of the more advanced wilders members.

23. squash

squash Guest

If it was possible, and I could afford:

A so-called 'advanced' person would

1. Buy a router
    2. Buy a firewall like Kerio or ZoneAlarm Pro, Use Kaspersky or Nod32 as their AV, TDS-3 as their AT... and ad-aware and spybot plus almost the whole number of softwares offered by javacool

in addition to applying all security patches and service packes... are careful in what they are doing, use opera or a gecko-based browser or other browser. use regprot, backup up their computer regularly...

plus a whole heap of security programs...

But am I... only choosing the software that is free, that works for me, i use or need and that is actually a necessity for me - not a necessity for others or what others may think... I'm not interested in overkilling

and how can you say, I don't know what an advanced person does, I do... but I CHOOSE not to follow that advanced way.

I'm trying to get a smalla mount of security apps to do the most amount that it possibly can...

Update:

Mozilla Firefox with adblock, deny 3rd party cookies and deny refferers
    Kerio Personal Firewall
    AVG AntiVirus
    Abtrusion Protector
    Lavasoft Ad-aware

and DiamondCS
    plus my very very carefulness...

I don't think a realtime spywareguard or such is really necessary because i hardly ever use IE or any programs which use the IE engine and mozilla firefox is virtually immune to all spyware IF, a person does NOT download and execute it themselves... it does not autodownload spyware without asking...

24. squash

squash Guest

And plus how many of you people with lots of security applications use the apps on a regular basis... I think that some of you just keep the apps on your computer to say you have a high amount of protection that is not necessary...

25. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

The comments some of us are making as nothing to do with what you are using, but more with how you are answering. Eg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.