Am I overlapping too much? Advice please! Spend my life scanning....

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by pogologo, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pogologo

pogologo Registered Member

Hi all,

I have installed quite a few apps as I am quite paranoid. Not that I visit anywhere particularly dodgy, just want to be secure.

I currently have the following running at startup/permanent protection/real time: -

Comodo F/W w/D+

Avast on High

Threatfire

Comodo BO

Comodo MF

WinPatrol

SandboxIE

Spyware Blaster

Windows Defender

On Demand: -

SuperAntiSpyware

Malware Bytes Anti Malware

A-Squared

CCleaner

Ad-Aware

Spybot S&D

So I currently spend most of my life running OD full scans....

Is my real time protection lacking anyhwere?

Arent any of my OD options overlapping each other?

What can I get rid of?

Anything else better that is free? (I am cheap).

Your knowledgable advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

WOW, that's a lot of security apps.

For now I can tell you to ditch (just my opinion, others may vary):
    Spybot
    Ad-aware
    Windows Defender
    Comodo BOClean
    WinPatrol

IMHO, Comodo Firewall with D+, ThreatFire, and Avast are more than enough. Sometimes a scan with MBAM or SAS and you are ready to go

3. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

I think these progs are enough:

Avast

Threatfire

WinPatrol

SandboxIE

Windows Defender

On Demand: -

CCleaner

4. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

Avast on High is probably too much, I would move that to medium and leave everything else just like you have it. ;)

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

You are suffering the "Wilders" paranoia also, huh? I would say you ditch the following:

• Comodo BOClean
    • Windows Defender
    • Comodo Memory Firewall (you can use DEP to cover this)
    • Ad Aware
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • Winpatrol
    You definitely have quite an overlap there. It's only a matter of time before you experience conflicts and BSOD's.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

If you're really paranoid: Threatfire, a antivirus, a firewall, limited account with Software restriction policy would be sufficient imo.
    If you´re only mildly paranoid you could skip Threatfire from my suggested setup.

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@pogologo

In order to build an efficient security setup, instead of just adding layers, take the time to learn about security.

-First: learn how malware works.
    Usefull links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2892

-Second: learn how malware can infect YOU
    This I call "determining infection vectors". Do you P2P? Are you a safe surfer? Do others use you PC? Do you plug USB sticks from others to your PC, or do you plug your own USB stick in computers from others? Do you get a los of attachments in your email?
    Remember, malware are almost only executables. You must ask yourself how this executables can come into your computer, and what do you do after they are there (malware is harmless untill you actually execute it).

-Third:
    Learn how different security works. Once you have done this, choose security apps based on your needs.
    Useful link:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=212329 (post #1, newbie explanation; post #10, tecnicall explanation)

On this point you can develop a STRATEGY: do things with a purpose in mind, with a goal. Before adding another app, ask yourself if that app halps you to get to that goal.

Now that we covered how to stay clean, lets see what to do when an infection pass through your defences (if you took the time to do things properly, this might even never happen)

-Fourth:
    Have a few on demand scanners and perform scan every 2 weeks or every month. Personally I use mainly 3: SAS, MBAM and CureIt. Other good options are AVZ and AVP tools.

-Fifth:
    This is the most important step: RECOVERY.
    Have a way to restore your system if all fails. Sometimes it can be not even malware related. If you BackUp your system, you have a way to put thinks back how they where in a short time. Some people here don't even scan their systems, they just restore to a clean image when they feel suspicious.
    A least backup your data, and you will be safe.

Good luck and welcome to Wilders!

8. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Nothing to add.
    I think that you are killing yorur PC more than you are protecting it. :D

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

O my god my head is spinning.o_OThat is a whole lot of Real time protection.If you need layers Of protection they should not be redundent.IMO I would look to slim down your realtime first,and in turn free up some resources and put some performance back to your machine,Here is my thoughts.
    1.Sanboxie
    2.Avast
    3.Comodo with D+ PS paranoid Is a Mind Set No need to be paranoid just cautious and wise.

On Demand Scanners.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. pogologo

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I guessed I was over cautious, however, was worried about removing something in case I was infected by something and kicked myself for removing it.

Does SAS and MAM make Adaware, S&D etc redundant (be it because they are using the same DB or any other reason) or is it worth keeping them as OD?

Also, does Spyware Blaster work or is it worth losing that?

Thanks again!

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

AdAware and Spybot are not good anymore, IMHO. They are not able to handle many of the blended threats nowadays. Thus, I would ditch them right away.

Also, while Spywareblaster is not resident, I'd say ditch it too. You have several resident applications that will take care of what it does.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hey, how u can run ur PC. Ditch all. Just one AV and AS plus windows FW.
    Add a sandbox to it. Nothing more.

13. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

If you dont visit anywhere particularly dodgy, like you said. Id keep the AV, Firewall, and one of your 1st three listed on demand scanners. your avast has decent antispyware detection and eventhough i dont use sandboxie you may want it for those dodgy maybe times. your computer will breath alot better without all those other programs installed at the same time.

14. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Just use

Comodo F/W w/D+

Avast on High

Threatfire

and

SuperAntiSpyware

for on demand scans. Also Sandboxie for suspicious apps.

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've nothing valuable to add to the above, (all reasonable advice,) except to say that most of the malware logs I've seen commonly include
    (1) Out of date software, particularly Java,
    (2) 1 or more toolbars installed, and
    (3) 1 or more IM programs active.

The first you can take care of yourself, by keeping everything up to date, or use a program like the Secunia PSI to watch this.
    (It's a Beta-actually a RC, but works in a trouble free way.)

The other two you can take care of easily if you choose. IM programs don't have to be dangerous, they just seem to be a common attack vector for the careless or naive.

Another excellent program for taking care of Java updates, which also removes the old versions (The Java installer doesn't do this,) is JavaRa

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I really can't add more to what has been said either. But after much experimentation, I have settled on:
    OnlineArmor FW
    Eset NOD32 AV
    SuperAntispyware (real time)
    Malwarebytes free (on demand
    Sandboxie
    Returnil

That is plenty of protection for anybody. I would uninstall half what you have and enjoy the added response you'll probably regain from your PC. :)

17. pogologo

Thanks for all of your advice - it is appreciated. My PC is going on a diet tonight...

However, it can't resist adding Returnil to the arsenal...just couldn't help itself.

I am sure she'll recover though!

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.