Always get "archive corrupted" msg with v10 trial

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tlh, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlh

tlh Registered Member

I recently installed the True Image Home version 10 software. I have tried several ‘trial versions’ of home back up software and this one seemed the best with a great interface and set of features. HOWEVER, I have not been able to make a full disk backup that did not receive an error message upon validation. The back up completes successfully, but when I run the validate backup archive feature it comes back with “Error: Archive is corrupted” I have done this several times and always get the same result. I uninstalled the application and ran chkdsk to repair any disk problems. Then I did a disk defrag and reinstalled True Image Home version 10 trial software. Same result. I sent this into Acronis support several days ago but haven’t heard back from them.

I did a back up of just a few files and ran validate and it all worked fine. I tried to back up selected folders, but although the boxes were there to check to indicate which folders to back up; I could not check any of the boxes..Is this another bug?

Any help here would be appreciated. I have about 7 days left on my trial. This seems like the best package I have tried thus far based on interface and stated features; but if I can’t get the trial version to do a successful, and verified back up I won’t be buying or recommending.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

See my post #16 in the following thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154230

What device are you saving your image on? Try an internal HD since that is the most likely to work. Once that works, then you can move onto USB external HDs, etc.

I don't use the Files and Folders backup so I can't comment on the inability to select some folders.

FYI, bad RAM was the problem in the above thread.

3. tlh

tlh Registered Member

Forgot to describe my configuration. this is on a pentium III system running XP professional edition SP2. i am doing a full disk back up of my internal hard drive "C" and backing up to another internal hard drive designated "F"

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Please try making a backup of your C: drive, *on* your C drive in order to reduce the number of factors affecting the fault. Does this verify OK or not.

Run memtest overnight to check out your RAM (seek seekforevers post reference for memtest website)

Is your system overclocked?

What level of compression are you using.

F.

5. tlh

tlh Registered Member

OK, i will run the memtest; but i highly doubt i have a problem with my memory. I am running many other apps and have no issues.

I have not enabled anything in the backup config other than just accept the default settings. I have not set any other compression settings. only thing i maually set was designate the archive location onto another internal hard drive and create a folder on that drive for the backup file. the backup gets completed successfully; it's just when i validate that i get error that the archive is corrupted.

system is not overclocked and is a well maintained (ie, defrag regularly, no viruses, etc) system has all current MSFT updates installed. I also disabled things like screen savers, etc during the backup thinking that perhaps they were causing issue.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

From what you have described you have done all the right things especially backing up from one internal drive to another.
    I don't suppose that you have a spare hard drive that you could swap for your existing main drive and try doing a restore disregarding the failed validation. If that completed sucessfully it would show that the validation process was itself the problem.

However I would put my money on a memory module being faulty. Ram can run for years with a whole variety of applications with no problems coming to light and then a validation puts it into a spin. The programs you run probably only lightly load your RAM and anyway one bit out of place will pass by unnoticed, indeed most PCs do not have ECC RAM installed. A validation will only pass if there are no errors at all detected by the checksum process.

Xpilot

7. foghorne

Remember that not many applications will notice a single bit error. Programs which carry out a checksum will. This is why ATI is sensitive to memory problems. I'm sure you are right about your RAM, but the name of the game is to scientifically eliminate it.

What happened when you backup up and image from C:-> C:? Did it validate OK?

F.

8. tlh

tlh Registered Member

I will try to back up C to C tonight and post what happens. will also run mem check tonight

9. tlh

tlh Registered Member

ran memory test....yup; I have some bad memory. will buy new memory DIMM and try again. thanks for the advice here.

10. foghorne

I hope that sorts it.

Interesting that you are the second forum participant in two days to report this problem and find RAM errors.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.