Altiris Software Virtualization Solution 2.1 free for personal use

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by farmerlee, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Altiris SVS can't be used to test security software and other applications which install themselves deep into the OS :)

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I saw that in the manual after I downloaded the antivirus.

I've posted on altiris forum about my problem, which after digging into the manual a bit seem to be several.

I deliberately deleted Firefox from my computer and downloaded it again and went through the svs installation exactly according to the manual. This is the latest version of free svs. First thing I noticed when I opened the firefox exe was no little lightning bolt thing. The circle with the v in it just spins away.

I figured maybe they did away with the lightning bolt in this version. So, I downloaded a small game. Went through all the steps and it ran fine until I closed the game. It wouldn't re-open, saying the same thing as I got earlier in the day, virtual drivers not installed. On reboot, the layer is still there but it flat won't open.

I know I'm missing something but I, for a change, actually did follow the steps in help word for word.

3. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Neither can sandboxie etc.

I think Altris SVS does have a place it's not quite the same as sandboxie. I don't think Altris SVS is meant for security. It's more for application management.

And yes, beyond the basics, it gets quite complex to handle....

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Couldn't agree more. Want to have Office 2003, Office 2007 and Open Office 2.3 installed in the same box? Go for Altiris SVS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.