Alternatives to SandboxIE?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ChrisP, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have a licence for SandboxIE, but want to know what else there is out there that can provide the same sandbox protection. I have looked at geswall but the pricing is all screwed up - eg, it over charges when I try to purchase in £ - so I wont buy it. Anything else out there?

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

RIP SafeSpace?

Ice

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Defensewall isn't exactly like Sandboxie but offers excellent protection.

Returnil virtualizes your whole C drive.
    Defensewall
    Returnil

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

It depends:

If:

-Your system is almost static (you don't install-unistall or test a lot of apps)
    -You have separate System and Data partitions

then Returnil might be what you're looking for (just keep in mind, if you like to play with malware, that Returnil doesn't protect against RAW disk access malware -known as Robodog-)

Otherwise, DefenseWall offers great protection, is easy to use and Ilya (the developer) is an active Wilders member.

I think SafeSpace has similar functionality as SandboxIE, but I'm not sure.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Will the Returnil beta version protect against this ? I think a simple prog. like
    Drop My Rights** running in Returnil might stop malware writing to
    Raw disc. but not 100% sure.

** or preferably LUA

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have PowerShadow already - which virtualizes the whole PC - just after something like SandboxIE...

7. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think there's also BufferZone and ZoneAlarm ForceField.

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Chris, may I ask why you want to replace SandboxIE?
    Did you find something wrong with it or is it just curiosity to test other apps?

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

@HURST - Nothing wrong with SandboxIE, I know its a good app and well respected, but it has caused a couple of small issues for me. I run SuperAdBlocker, and SandboxIE stops this working if I run IE sandboxed. Also, things like if running IE sandboxed, I cant use messenger to open my hotmail automatically etc - unless I run Messenger in the sandbox - in which case, when I empty the sandbox, it kills Messenger.

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just use two browsers. Your default can be firefox which accesses your mail, with say java turned off you won't have any problems logging into just your mail.

Then use say Opera as your sandboxed browser for all your daily viewing which can be emptied via sandboxie.

11. Saraceno

12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I see, I've had similar issues. The shortcut to windows update doesn't work unless I disable "force run sandboxed" for IE. Not an issue since I almost never update windows.
    I think there might be some workaround for you issue, I'll check it out. I hope you find what you are looking for in the meantime.

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Unfortunately, MSN Messenger doesn't want to play with other browsers.

14. Saraceno

I guess I would just avoid clicking the 'read mail' link in messenger, and instead just type the url in.

But I see the point about certain updates being disallowed. You almost have to browse say, once a week unsandboxed, to ensure any updates pass through.

15. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think the free Virtual Sandbox, v1 by Fortres Grand is dead. I tried version 1 a long time ago and it was a disaster on my computer. Not only could I not get it to work right, I couldn't get it to uninstall. I finally ended up doing a system restore.

I could have had a bad download, or there could be other reasons for how it behaved on my old computer. Once I got rid of it, I wasn't going to try it again to find out.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Never used messenger but could a portable version be of any help with Sandboxie?
    Portable Messenger

17. Saraceno

That's cool Chuck. I guess there aren't too many alternatives. What's that leave, core force, buffer zone? :ninja:

Attached Files:

18. Saraceno

That's a good suggestion, hope it works, I'll give it a try.

An alternative to messenger is aMSN. Works well. Small download, and is a clone of mesenger.

19. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I don't really understand why you need alternative to Sandboxie. It best of the best. Every program works with it and it protection is high quality. Also there isn't many other programs with so good support (tzuk).

20. HURST

HURST Registered Member

The problem in this case is NOT messenger.
    The problem is that if the link to hotmail's inbox is clicked in messenger, it won't work with IE forced to run sandboxed.
    Alternatives to messenger are not the solution in this case. The idea is to avoid open the browser and typing the URL.
    A least that is what I understood.

21. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Messenger and IE in same sentence doesn't sound good :D Of course it doesn't work. Why sandboxed program needs rights to start other program?

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't know anything about core force. I guess I ought to check into it.

I've run Bufferzone on my desktop and liked it a lot. There was a slight slowdown but nothing I couldn't live with. I've only got 512 RAM so don't expect lightning speed. Like every other good software I've run, I got the insane urge to try something else.

The free BZ was supposed to be for my web browser, but I quickly discovered it worked for almost everything with a right click and selection.

23. HURST

HURST Registered Member

But in this case it is messenger (not sandboxed), starting IE (sandboxed)

24. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

WOT is giving the bufferzone web page a red rating on everything. Can someone give me the site if I'm doing something wrongo_O

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Core Force is very powerful & VERY unstable. It is an abandoned beta. Lots of luck trying it. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.