alternatives for NOD32???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by radicalb21, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddel

Buddel Guest

It's true. There are also people who have never had any problems with McAfee. If you are one of them, you should use it. It's a very good AV.

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

the mcafee scanner is a very good one, i have had no problems with the scanner.. it's the darned spyware security center!

easy on resources?.. i have found it to be as intensive as kav, usable on optimals settings

3. Buddel

Buddel Guest

The security center is one reason why some people don't like McAfee. I also think that this AV is quite "resource-hungry". Nevertheless, it can be regarded as one of the best AV's on the market.

4. driftalong

driftalong Registered Member

A lot of ppl complain on the length of time NAV takes to do a full system scan, takes about 1 hour on my 20gig machine that's about 60% full. NOD takes about 10 minutes. What I have noticed at the end though, is that NAV scans about 130,000 files compared to NOD's 30,000. I have all the scanning options checked in NOD.
    So, I suppose this would be another consideration regarding choice of AV. I am now not certain that NOD is doing as full a scan as NAV does when you see the difference in the amount of files scanned. o_O

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Driftalong

Have you considered the default extensions on NAV? Do you have NOD32 check ALL (incl. extensionless) files?

I don't have NAV, just hoping to help you account for the difference in "files scanned" you described.

Regards
    Optigrab

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

They should just replace their consumer product with VS 7.10 Enterprise, it's so much faster (no security center either). Seems incredibly light, loads quickly.

7. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I absolutley agree with you Vikingstorm, I have just loaded an evaluation copy of McAfee V7.1.0 Enterprise on my machine, and it has found umpteen bugs. I was using Nod32, and Dr.Web before. It even scans the Restore files of XP. I have never seen so many files opened and scanned before. It is very fast, and does not slow surfing down either. Thanks for the advice. How come this app. does not get more exposure?

8. controler

controler Guest

Hog wash

Most good Av's scan the restore files now days.

Your System is now in your own hands with Mc afee :(

con

9. swisscoms

That was RUDE! I am fairly new to this, and don't appreciate having a reply like that Controller.

Total files scanned Nod32: 23,432 files
    Dr.Web 24,580 files
    KVP 4.5 63,645 files
    McAfee 7.1.0 186,432 files

Total infected files found: 6 VBS/Psyme Petcha, 3 Exploit-ByteVerify, and 1 Eicar Test file in the Restore, ALL missed/unable to delete with the others, and not disinfected either. McAfee Enterprise found these, and removed the offending files. Surely this is what an Anitivrus Programme should do.

10. VikingStorm

My only gripe with Mcafee is the weekly dat updates (minus updates for big outbreaks). It's strictly weekly, 3 or even 2 updates a week would be much better.

11. swisscoms

I saw that on their wesite too VikingStorm, it is a concern. Have you had any experience with their daily updates at http://vil.nai.com/vil/virus-4d.asp
    as I notice Trend Micro have the same idea on their site?

12. controler

controler Guest

well um who started the thread alternatives to NOD?

I won't say Mcaffee can't find nasties, I WILL say it messes with your system and always has. I have never
    installed oe seen a Mc affee product and not had it screw up my system. That is my only warning.
    Sorry you missunderstood.
    My remark was not arrowed at you but rather Mc Afee

con

13. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

alongside that the biggest problem of mcafee av's is their weak signatures.. the scanning engine is probably the best and most advanced at the moment(unpackers etc.).. but come on, text based signatures, even case sensitive ones, icons& other reshackable things..(i've done some hex editing..)

NOTE: i do not have any knowledge on the virus detection of mcafee products( i don't hex viruses, or make them undetectable, only trojans) all written above is about trojan detection.. i've used mcafee corporate at work for 5 years now, only viral infection so far has been nimda..but there's other reasons to that than just the performance of mcafee.. like the fact that our mail server drops all attachments that don't have zip,doc,xlr,pps,txt,rtf,jpg,pdf extensions..(we have learned something LOL)
    i must state that mcafee is one of the better scanners in trojan detection too(big database), it's just that it's so easy to fool it with changing A to a

14. VikingStorm

I use to use them every couple days, it's a bit of a hassle after a while. I don't see why they can't just have an advanced feature to enable daily updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.