Alternative to Windows?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by scrapbookjunkie, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All

Is there a good/safe alternative to the Window$ operating system(s) that you know of? I've heard of Linux is this a good Window$ replacement? Will the Firefox browser work with other OS's like Linux? Thanks for any help.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Every OS is just as safe as the manager of the system keeps it. Using Linux helps because there are far less exploits for the vulnerabilities. So that much for security (I would say there are inherent security benefits of running Linux, due to a clearer architecture, less integration of tools and programs and the open source development model, but, who am I to start this discussion).

I'd say: go for it. These days it's perfectly feasable to run a linux OS without even installing, by just running a Live distribution. But most distro's will help you managing your disk partitions, so you can run Linux from the same box as your Windows system. Check http://www.distrowatch.com for lots of solutions.

Running Firefox is one great joy on Windows and Linux. I will not surf without it.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox reminds me of the first Netscape program I tried, Version one. This was before Microsoft even had a browser.
    Firefox is just plain fun.

Linux

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Arklinux 1, alpha 12 is just released :cool:
    http://www.arklinux.org

If only every final release of a software prodict were as stable as this alpha...

5. Bobcat1289

Bobcat1289 Registered Member

its not that windows isnt good its that it is so easy for so many people to use that the majority uses it making it a target for hackers the same thing happens in IE. www.opera.com the webbrowser on that site is free and basically spyware free because it is so low profile.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you have never used linux before don't expect it to be anywhere near as easy to use as windows. I have used at least ten different distros (linux) and none of them are what can be described as really user friendly. There is a very good reason that linux is no more popular than it is, it is not easy to use. I like some versions of linux but I don't like having to almost be a programer to get half of the applications to work. :(

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The only other operating system that ever caught my eye was the "Be" operating system. It never caught on.

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Hmmm, I don't know when you last checked them out, but most current distro's are smooth installers that give you a desktop environment out of the box, no need to dive into the os.
    Try the latest knoppix to get the feeling without installing on bit. Arklinux (that I'm using right now) installs even easier than windows. The only problem that I have after installing is the lack of dead key support, that does require some kind of tweaking, but that's all.

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

BeOS just celebrated it's 10th birthday :cool:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Besides linux, there is macintosh too. I've tried macintosh before on my school's computer, i say macintosh is not user-friendly. Macintosh is also damn difficult to use. I still prefer windows XP than any other OS.
    I'd always choose the most popular OS available.
    A good alternative for Internet Explorer is firefox.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Macs running OS X are okay as far as I am concerned. Because their systems are more or less proprietary, they cost too much though.

That is why pc's are more popular. More power, less cost.

Macs are great computers.

12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Yes... Btw, I've noticed that Macs seem to perform a little better than computers made for use with Windows that have the same sort of hardware - processors with the same speed, same amount of RAM, etc. Does this have something to do with the fact that Mac OS is less kluged than Windows, or is it because Macs use CPUs with a different design?

Also, am I hearing this right, that you can run Linux on a Windows box without uninstalling Windows? How much HD space would that take up, e.g. by filling up the HD with programs that run unders Linux because the Windows equivalents don't?

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I have to agree with this.

I normally use w2k for everyday stuff, but recently purchased SuSE 9.1 and it installs as easy as Windows. Found all my hardware, has an equivalent for "windows update", Office, IE, Outlook...the list goes on--built in. And it only costs 90 bucks.

This version of SuSE even found my soundcard correctly, and will also install itself alongside your Windows install so you can try it out. In addition, the 9.1 pro version comes with a bootable cd-based version of the OS so you don't have to install to try it out. Cool.

Linux is MUCH more user friendly than it used to be. Worth checking out, IMO.

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I suggest Knoppix as a start as well. First try the live CD and, when you feel comfortable, go with a hard drive install. A hard drive install requires about 2.5 GB, so 4-5 GB will be plenty. The Knoppix forum is here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/.

Nick

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Speaking about SuSE Linux: Yes. The installation tool, YaST, will even suggest the partition sizes, etc., and pretty much all you have to do is push "Yes", and it'll do it's thing. Having said that--BACKUP before you do anything. :D
    My SuSE Pro install is about 1.9 gigs, which includes pretty much everything I need to do equivalent everyday Windows tasks.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks interesting. Review May give that one a go.

17. meneer

meneer Registered Member

There's a tempting alternative to installing linux next to Windows (on a linux partition)... you can install linux to run from within windows, it's called cooperative linux. I have seen it being started form a Windows batch file: it opens a windows, up comes linux booting in that window and later on, behold, your linux desktop within your Windows desktop. Close the linux windows and it's all gone (linux that is).
    I haven't got a clue why anyone would use it, but is certainly looks funny :)

18. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

"Oink *grunt* oink *snort**grunt*"

-Those pigs at Enigma Software :D

Funny signature there. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.