All-Seeing Eye

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by edwardk, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwardk

edwardk Registered Member

Has anyone ever used this tool? Any comments?

http://www.fortego.com/en/ase.html

Here is the manufacturer info:

With today's hostile Internet environment, specifically with the large amounts of spyware, viruses and hacker tools, a lot of small utilities are floating around designed to help users monitor certain detailed aspects of their computers. All these tools have mostly completely different designs, completely different GUIs, and some are not even working very good at all. This results in a lot confusion and extra work for users to be able to monitor all necessary aspects of their computers. You have to fill up the computer with a plethora of small utilities that need to be learnt individually, and which can often interfere with each other and consume unnecessary amounts of system resources.

All-Seeing Eye was created as a solution to this. Our goal is to provide a single tool that monitors all different important areas of the computer and operating system. This goal also includes providing a better and more easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI) and better user interaction procedures than other tools, while still also providing better additional features and functionality.

The screenshot here to the right shows the main control screen of the program. As you can see, it is very simple. It will show you which monitoring tools are active (default is all), and you never have to touch or see any settings at all if you don't want to, not even these! The program will adapt and set up itself, all according to your answers to the alerts it displays when something out of the ordinary is detected in the computer (see below for more screenshots of such alerts).

http://www.fortego.com/images/ase_sc.gif

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A) I installed All-Seeing Eye today and encountered a BUG.

1) After all of ASE's components turned green, I began using my computer. Shortly thereafter ASE began a series of pop-ups concerning my HOSTS file. Each pop-up stated the following...

"A hosts file entry with the following details was removed."

The only alternative offered for dealing with each pop-up was "Continue without action"

2) After several dozen such pop-ups it was obvious that ASE was going to give the same pop-up for each and every item in my HOSTS file. My HOSTS file is obtained from MVPS and contains several hundred entries.

3) I did not want to keep dealing with ASE's pop-ups for several hundred such incidents, but I couldn't find a way to cleanly stop ASE. Therefore, I used Task Manager to "kill process" of ASE.

B) To me this is a major problem for at least two main reasons...

1) Many security-conscious people have a large HOSTS file. If ASE initiates MANY HUNDREDS of pop-ups to initially deal with large HOSTS files, it will be a major inconvenience. As for myself, I won't use ASE again until there is indication that this situation has been fixed.

2) Secondly, for each item in the HOSTS file, ASE reported that it "was removed" (as quoted in paragraph A1 above). After ASE had reported this for several dozen HOSTS entries, I checked my HOSTS file. Not one entry had been removed. Therefore, it seems to me that ASE's pop-ups gave inaccurate & confusing information.

I have reported the above information to the proponents of ASE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.