All in green?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by fuquen, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

RSS 2011 home free

Might be 2 months ago, shifted to RSS 2011 home free from RVS 2010 home free.
    Had a little problem. So, turned back to RVS 2010.

Shifted to RSS 2011 again this morning.
    The icons on desktop toolbar and tray are alwars in green.
    How does one tell if virtualization is on or off?
    Or how does one make them show difference?

Thanks

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hover you mouse over the tray icon or desktop toolbar and you will see the status of the Virtualization and Virus Guard.

preferences > Administration tab > "Notify user about protected status if" section. Here you can configure the software to show red when your priority choice is selected (Virtual Mode OR Virus Guard).

Mike

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Just a suggestion: It'd be good if Returnil tray icon has 4 color schemes...

E.g.

Virus Guard OFF, Virtual Mode OFF - RED
    Virus Guard ON, Virtual Mode OFF - DARK YELLOW
    Virus Guard OFF, Virtual Mode ON - LIGHT YELLOW
    Virus Guard ON, Virtual Mode ON - GREEN

That way, users can easily identify which 'mode' they're working in by just looking at the icon color...

What do you think?

4. philby

philby Registered Member

I was initially thrown by this too - with RSS my tray icon is green when I have VG disabled and VM enabled.

With RVS, the tray icon was only green when VM was disabled, so with RSS I keep thinking I'm out of VM.

But then again, a quick hover and all is clear...

I still wish we could have the option to install the VG component separately though, and just have red for VM on and green for VM off (even though I do understand why Returnil has gone in the 'incorporate an AV component' direction).

philby

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. philby

philby Registered Member

Mike: I have selected VM there (to kill the 'System requires Attention' warning discussed elsewhere).

However, even though the GUI and mouse-hover report that VM is currently enabled, my tray icon is green!
    Capture.PNG

philby

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. Coldmoon

Hi Philby,
    Apologies for the confusion there. The choice will determine which (VM or VG) shows red inside the applicable section within the GUI and not with the tray icon/toolbar. There was a poll, but it did not generate any real results as the sample size was too small - I suggest opening a general discussion related to the icon/toolbar and give everyone a chance to be heard on this subject so a final decision is what the users want to see...

Mike

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Coldmoon

Hi

How about letting users choose and select which colours they prefer themselves, from an option in the GUI ? That way everybodys happy, including you as no more questions etc about it = :)

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

The tray icon color scheme of 2011 is inverse of version 2010.

In version 2010, Green tray icon means you are not in virtual mode

In version 2011, Green tray icon means you are protected by virtual mode.

In version 2010, Red tray icon means you are in virtual mode

In version 2011, Red tray icon means you are not in virtual mode.

9. philby

philby Registered Member

Exactly! A minor chore to get used to that, I know.

(My screenshot posting was in response to Mike's instruction - which I had misunderstood - I thought he was referring to the tray icon, not a section of the GUI)

philby

10. Coldmoon

Ok, but the next questions would be:

1. How many colors?
    2. What colors?
    3. How would those color choices affect those with color related issues (ref: color blind) - do you include different pallet choices? If yes, how many?
    4. Does this add too much complexity? Remember, we are working to simplify the GUI and configurations going forward...

This is a good discussion to have however, so my original suggestion to start a discussion and get real participation in the topic to hash this out in a timely way is still valid.

Mike

11. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Color does not matter as long as it tells a difference.
    In my case, both desktop toolbar and the icon in the tray stay in green all the time whther the system safe mode is on or off.

My suggestion is that these icons show different colors
    to signify the on or off state of the system safe mode.

12. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I think we don't have to complicate things much....all we need is a quick easy way to identify the level of protection we're having - that is whether we've got both VG and VM ON, or both OFF, or only one of which is ON. May I suggest that you guys re-consider my example above? I think the reasoning behind the color choices I gave for example is pretty easy to understand (VM is given more 'priority' over VG) but it's up to the users here to decide which excat colors may suit better if they don't like the ones I've suggested.

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, good questions. I must admit i hadn't considered colour blindness, which may indeed be an issue with a few people.

So here's a few fresh ideas.

1 - No RGB colours, unless selected in options by users, instead for eg, Black/White/Grey.

VGY = Virus Guard ON

VGN = Virus Guard OFF

VMY = Virtual Mode ON

VMN = Virtual Mode OFF

2.gif

2 - Mouse over tray icon instantly launches either the GUI, or a smaller display showing status with words.

1a.gif

Either or both of these suggestions should prove very easy for everyone to immediately comprehend ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.