All folders and files in the CD are shown with Internet Explorer icons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PSK, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSK

PSK Registered Member

I have recently moved over to an old Dell Laptop given by a nephew, and I am runnung into a peculiar problem. All files and folders on a CD in the CD drive are shown with Internet Explorer icons and there is no indication as to the nature of the file, like .txt, .wd, .exe, jpeg, or whatever. I can choose to to see toons to get an idea of the folder or the files (still over the IE icon), but each time I move to anotherf older or file I have to click the 'toons' choice and it's a big nuisance.

The icons are normal when any content of the CD is copied on the Hard Disk. The problem occurs only if I access the CD on the CD rom drive.

I am using WinXP professional bundled with the machine and keeping my Norton Security 2005 (bundled with Dell) updated and the full scan is done everyday. No malware reported.

What can I do to get the problem solved? I am a novice, so would appreciate a method within my capability. I registry keys, etc., are to be altered, or I have to work in DOS instead of Windows, I may have to get my usual tech guy to came over and carry out the solution. He has not encountered the problem so far.

PLEASE HELP.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Welcome at the fora :)

I would reccomend to download Tweak UI Powertoy and to perform a Repair/Rebuild Icons.

Do you have IE7 installed?
    I had this problem and an uninstall/reinstall fixed it.

Panagiotis

3. PSK

PSK Registered Member

Shall download and try the 'Tweak UI Powertoy' and then report.

Do you mean unistall/reinstall IE7? Shall do after saving 'Favorites'.

Thank you for the guidance, pandlouk.

4. PSK

PSK Registered Member

Further to my post above, I have downloaded IE7, but I do not know how to uninstall the existing IE7. I do not see the IE7 listed in the Setting>Add or Remove Programs. So how to uninstall it?

I downloaded and tried to install "Tweak UI Powertoy', but I am told it can't be installed on my computer because I haven't installed MS .NET. I installed it a few days back, but uninstalled it and used System Restore to go back to the old set-up. because after installing it, I could not boot my computer with WinXP straightaway, but have to click my user account first, though I am the only user. I should prefer to switch on, and then attend to something else until the entire process of starting up is completed. Perhaps you could suggest how I can get rid of the 'log in' screen which appears if the MS .NET is installed. Then I can install the 'Powertoy' program and try to see if the icon problem can be solved.

Sorry, as a novice, an old man 70+ who has taught himself how to use the computer for routine purposes (e-mail, MS Word, some mind games (not online) and some browsing as infotainment) I need help like a Kindergarten kid !

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

o_O "Tweak UI Powertoy" does not need net framework to work. Are you sure you downloaded the right version?

(mods I'm posting a direct link only for helping our new member)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

IE7 should appear in the uninstall menu unless your nephew or DELL had it integrated in the installation CD.

For getting rid of the welcome screen go at the accounts administrative panel and eliminate the .NET account that is created.

ps. If the tweak powertoy does not work and you cannot uninstall/reinstall Internet Explorer 7, you will have to create a new administrator account and delete your current one (after saving/transferring all your important data at your new account).

Panagiotis

6. RetroDrake

RetroDrake Registered Member

I had this exact same problem. It is caused by a conflict with Shell Icon size. The conflict arises if you are using large icons in your shell and install IE7.

Right-click a blank area of your desktop and select Properties. The Display Properties window will appear. Select the Appearance tab - click the Effects button - uncheck Use Large Icons. Look at a CD in Windows Explorer to see if the problem has gone away. If that fixed the problem but you still want to use large icons you will need to change some registry entries.

CAUTION - EDIT THE REGISTRY AT YOUR OWN RISK - BACKUP BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES

A Microsoft Tech suggested I use REGEDIT to change the value of the following registry keys to 47.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon BPP

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon Size

This fixed the problem for me and I was able to continue using large icons. I hope this helps :)

7. PSK

PSK Registered Member

Thanks, RetroDrake. I unchecked large icons, and now my problem is no longer present. I think I can live with the small icons, but if I need large icons, I shall get my tech guy to carry our those registry changes.

Earlier I downloaqded and installed Powertoys, and though it did not solve this particular problem, with its help, I was able to get rid of the autoplay nuisance. And when activating my HP Print-copy-scan in this setup, I would have to install .Net framework, and after that I hope with the option given in Powertoys I can get rid of the Welcome Screen.

I shall probably start a new thread in a day or two on another problem because all of you are so helpful.

Thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.