"All Emails" on virus radar site

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mover, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

3. Mover

Mover Registered Member

It would be nice if we had something like virus radar on this side of the planet.
    I was watching the stats on Bagle and noticed that they were classified differently by other companies.

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

They can only do it if there is a large email gateway on this side of the pond using NOD at the gateway.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How do the other Av companies get there info? Trend for instance has a world map that displays clear differences by continent and country.o_O

6. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Now that you mention it, McAfee has a world virus map as well

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Trend, Panda and Mcafee get their statistics from their online scanners. That leads to misleading numbers, I saw Panda's site early in the latest mytob, it indicated that the USA had a 35% infection rate, but what that means is that 35% of the visitors from the US that used Activescan were infected. Well the inaccurate numbers help sell copies of their AV at least, but it doesn't give an accurate picture of infection rate. IMHO the way Eset does it gets more reliable numbers, but only of a small part of the world. Mcafee also gets statistics from AOL, as AOL uses Mcafee to scan it's email systems as well as providing it free to those users that wish to use it, so Mcafee also shows more accurate numbers but only of AOL users. I don't think Mcafee's other corporate products submit statistics automatically.

8. Mover

Mover Registered Member

What it comes down to is sample size. The greater, the more accurate your numbers are.

I would think that McAfees would be just as accurate as Esets if they're scanning all those email attachments on AOL although Esets site provides a lot more detail.

9. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Virus radar is going to show even more reliable information because of ThreatSense.Net... They will use information collected from NOD32's statistical information.

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I heard in a radio show once that Eset has a couple (propably more) of servers in Slovakie that scans all emails for new outbreaks, known worms etc.

Think it was Andrew Lee who said that. It was in one of Leos' podcasts if I remember correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.