AI Roboform 7.1.0 - Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AvinashR, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Why don't you ask them? The email address is in the message box.

If you don't trust them then uninstall it, but I don't think paranoia is called for here. They are a well-known company and if I understand correctly they do have quite a few corporate customers. Building in backdoors or stealing logins from users would be much more catastrophic for their business than their backpedaling on the lifetime licenses.

I switched to LastPass, but not because I was worried about Roboform reading my passwords.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sure, when this 3rd party tools vendor start thinking that putting MY passwords into a www based cloud I get concerned. Some may call that paranoid that is fine with me.

So I decided to tighten up control on RoboForm which as I posted earlier I have used for some years.

I wanted to ensure that RoboForm did NOT have any ability in any of the executables I listed to send data(passwords) back to their WWW site(s).

The way this is done is to add rules to your Firewall software to block ALL outbound connections for those executables.

If you are not yet conversant with Firewalls read and study the stickies at the top of the Other Firewalls here at Wilder's.

Hope that helps.

3. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Registered Member

I bit the bullet as I needed the functionality in FF4. I was able to purchase RF v7 for $19.95, but cannot purchase a second license for RF2GO v7 for any less than $19.95. As far as I can tell, they are treating that as a standalone and not an additional license. Looks like I am going to be out another $19.95 when my work upgrades FF3 to FF4 (which luckily is a ways down the road). I had to get home working again though.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi:

Here are todays block records for RoboForm. Please note they are all from roboform.dll.

Again these blocks do zip to me as a user. All still works.

So I ask RoboForm here why do they hook?

I have NOT asked the vendor on their site because I have a question to them some months old they ignored.

Otherwise I would ask them as you suggest. They need a push.

1:36:33 PM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    12:42:41 PM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    10:37:04 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    9:54:04 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    9:28:19 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    8:42:12 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    7:42:32 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    7:15:18 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    6:49:18 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
    6:30:55 AM Block ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE Window hooking c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll

5. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

May be it has to do with the new feature in 7 which can control password in all applications, not just browsers. Or not but keep that in mind if you find other mysterious hooks :) Kind of the idea with RoboForm, not unnecessary.

Before 7 a program called Goodsync was used for the evil cloud. Now also build in. Have you considered this has effect on what you detect?

6. firebrand

firebrand Registered Member

I'm ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ about the change of terms for previous purchasers. I don't care so much that the change was made without any notice - that may be bad business, but it's not dishonest. I care that this change was made retroactively. I bought multiple licenses based on the written understanding that they were perpetual. Free upgrades means free upgrades, not free until Suber Systems changes its mind.

If they want to change that moving forward, then that's fine - for those who choose to buy under the new terms. But what they've done to pre-existing purchasers seems fraudulent to me.

I actually think $10-15 per year is pretty reasonable for what they're offering (multiple devices via the cloud). However, I don't want to use the cloud. I want to use Windows Live Mesh, which uses P2P and keeps my data on my machines. As well as avoiding the cloud, it also allows me to share a subset of passcards with my wife (banking and bill sites, but not message board logins etc.)

To do this means re-upping for multiple copies of RoboForm Desktop all over again, at a cost if $120 (6 licenses). I suppose that isn't too bad amortized over , say, 9 years, but who knows how many new versions will come out in that time requiring repurchase yet again. The desktop version is way too expensive relative to the online version, and infinitely too much for an upgrade that was promised for free…

But Siber Systems has lost my trust, so I'm off to try out LastPass Premium, at $12 a year. Unfortunately, that too means cloud, but at least they have a Windows Phone 7 client, unlike RoboForm.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  7. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

I have just being doing some testing with RF 7.2.8 PRO

I have always used GoodSync to sync my RF data on my local server.

In RoboForm PRO 7 they have not accommodated for loyal customers who bought GoodSync. The ability to use the sync button in RF PRO is missing, this means that RF PRO has been downgraded.
    This the sync button is only available for Everywhere users, strange if I sync to a location not managed by RF HQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.