AI Roboform 7.1.0 - Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AvinashR, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

All my passcards notes etc. are password protected.
    There are currently 5 password encryption methods available: DES, 3DES, AES, Blowfish and RC6.

I am hoping the cloud is secure...

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Anyone can change your "Security Settings" when you leave your computer unattended, even when your RoboForm is locked!

Best regards,

KOR!

3. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

@King of Rapture
    The only experience I have of Passes,notes and identities password change is when I altered my RF passcards by bulk. It first asked me for the original pass before processing.
    I know that if I am logged in and someone has access to the non expired RF session anyone can alter passes.

4. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

Has anyone experience with LastPass...

Has anyone experience with LastPass...

I would like to know if I can run it from a USB stick like RF Portable as well as on the Desktop.
    Also is there a paid version like the RF model (not yearly) without the adverts?

5. BobW1

BobW1 Registered Member

The point I was trying to make was not about someone having physical access to your machine, access to your passcard files, or even access to the passcards stored out in the cloud. It's probably reasonable to assume that DES, 3DES, AES, Blowfish and RC6 were implemented correctly. Someone's probably tried to do the necessary reverse crypto to open "secured" files, and it would be out by now - I hope. Also, nowhere do they state that they are PCI compliant with regard to wherever they are storing your data in the cloud. They definitely have access to whatever is there.

The issue I raise is much further reaching. What if Siber has an interest in the contents of your passcards. The program has free access to the contents since you tell it how to decrypt them. There's nothing to say that it doesn't cache your password for it's own use. It does cache it for your use. Consequently, it / they can do anything they want with the contents. And, of course, it matters not what your choice of encryption is.

I've never seen where anyone has reviewed the source code, since it's not open source. We trust other programs, like tax programs with our data, but there is nothing else that we feed ALL the details of how to get into some very secure websites. There would be no way to prove they were not uploading your data. For example, 12/22 and 12/23. something on my computer had a discussion with "siber.com". Caught by wallwatcher, but I have no idea what was sent or received. It doesn't talk when you first start it, and you can't predict when it's going to talk, but I know I didn't go near roboform's or siber's web site on those two days.

WallReViewer - as of 12/24/2010 7:02:12 PM Eastern Standard Time (Timestamps are Local Time)
    Date Time Dir Prot Rem IP Addr Remote Name R Port Lcl IP Addr L Port Other/Msgs
    2010/12/22 19:47:44 O tcp 67.208.88.197 siber.com 80 10.33.90.10 4434

WallReViewer - as of 12/24/2010 7:07:14 PM Eastern Standard Time (Timestamps are Local Time)
    Date Time Dir Prot Rem IP Addr Remote Name R Port Lcl IP Addr L Port Other/Msgs
    2010/12/23 18:12:19 O tcp 67.208.88.197 siber.com 80 10.33.90.10 1647

I actually asked then several years ago what was in the funny alphabet soup http requests I caught it sending a long time ago, and they - a guy who called himself "William" - wouldn't give an answer.

6. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

I see what you now mean BobW1

I wondered once if the data stream for pass processing was encrypted or in plain text, I am sure that it could be tapped by hackers if they wanted to target it.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If it were to be done right, many of the software companies would have to be bonded/insured so that if your private info was stolen you would have some recourse.
    But I would be surprised to see it happen.
    Hugger

8. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

When programs are not opensource (for as much as that is a guarantee for good security) you must look at history and experience from users. Which is why Roboform has been recommended a million times over many years. If they have weak security they are no worse than any other online service dealing with your data. Will have to reinstall Roboform but I think you are pretty screwed if master password is lost, there is no way of restoring since only you know it. Possible a matter of settings of which there are many. Quality of master password decides overall encryption level from what I understand. So avoid a nice short one to make it easy to log in over and over. Better to stay logged in with strong password.

Unprofessional way of doing business feed assumptions and thoughts like these and that is ok :)

9. jmorlan

jmorlan Registered Member

As near as I can tell Siber Systems is located in the United States. It is not based in Russia although it has overseas offices there. Its main offices appear to be in Virginia.

Still they admittedly lied about our lifetime licenses. Why should we believe our sensitive data is secure on their servers? They lied once, they will lie again. Why should we continue to trust them with our sensitive logins and passwords?

By the way, they just released a new version. Version 7.1.2

http://www.roboform.com/support/news

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. aladdin

Well said!

They not only lied but cheated us and broken the law. They are so big, that we little consumers have no choice but to let them cheat us and get away with it!

Kind regards,

KOR!

11. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  12. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Program does not suddenly get crappy because some of their marketing moves stinks - I don't see how he ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. Don't forget that Roboform has been praised for many years, some of that has to do with consumer friendly license scheme but program have also been solid and updated. Most could afford program and question of huge password problem was be done with. What not to like? Still lots left, now just not for everyone and more difficult to recommend as if it was almost freeware. Those who have followed Roboforms actions last few months also have to ignore they are stupid and that make things difficult. Roboform is way better than Lastpass if you ask me but I won't use it though.

13. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

I didn't say it's crappy, but writing an article so subjectively with a complete disregard to other people's preferences and problems (highlighting just the yearly subscription and just the smallest of all problems...) is something I usually call ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

14. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Another BIG problem with v7.12. It constantly crashes Chrome. Both the Stable Version and the Canary version. I don't know if it is Google's fault or Roboform.

Sent ticket to Roboform, no answer.

15. jmorlan

jmorlan Registered Member

Many users who upgraded, using the internal updater were not informed that their license had reverted to a 30 day trial. The installation process looked just like any other update with no warning that the license terms had changed. Now that 30 days have passed, these users are now discovering that their trial period has expired and they may feel unduly pressured to buy a new license to restore access to all of their passcards.

For those feeling ripped-off by all of this, you can revert to an earlier version which does not require you to buy a new license.

http://www.roboform.com/support/faq/roboform#faq_prevversions

Doing so will give you extra time to decide if you want to upgrade. And if you decide not to upgrade, you can just keep the old version. At least for now, your old license remains good for that. Reverting also allows more time to evaluate alternatives.

FWIW, version 7.1.3 has been released. Supposedly fixes some Chrome instability.

16. SirDracula

SirDracula Registered Member

Very disappointed that Roboform v7 in effect revokes our lifetime licenses that we purchased. I "upgraded" to v7 as I got a notification a new version is available and now I'm in 30-day free trial mode. No warning during install, no screen to give me the choice to cancel, nothing. Very poor form on Roboform's part. Time to look for alternatives.

17. smee00

smee00 Registered Member

@SirDracula

You can downgrade again by installing the v6 version.

Code:
    http://www.roboform.com/download/v6

18. SirDracula

That's not the point. The point is we were promised lifetime upgrades, that's why I bought the licenses and chose to use and pay for Roboform. They cannot just purge all the "free upgrades" wording from the site and pretend it was never there.

What's worse is that after a few phone calls and support tickets I managed to get a FREE upgrade to v7, only to be revoked again and reverted back to a v6 a few days later claiming they made a mistake.

For all of you who are disappointed by this change of license, call them, file support tickets, send them emails. Do not give up, you may get free licenses that stick or not, but at least we will be heard.

For one, I'm done with this sleazy company and their practices.

19. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Does anyone know if Roboform 6 will work with IE 9?

20. aladdin

Does it work on Firefox 4?

Last I checked it didn't and I was forced to buy RoboForm 7, while still in beta. RoboForm 7 beta then had a add-on which worked with Firefox 4, but RoboForm 6 didn't!

Best regards,

KOR!

21. SirDracula

Good luck with that! Current versions of Chrome or even the upcoming Firefox 4 do not work. If IE8 has an update one day that breaks Roboform v6, good luck getting any fixes. It's pretty clear to me that v6 is frozen and you have to pay more if you want to play.

22. SirDracula

You should not have paid for what should have been a free upgrade, as originally promised. Ask for a refund.

23. aladdin

Very true!

Though, I have build a big library of passcards, identities and safenotes, so I didn't have very much choice. I didn't mind paying them after a long time, but the way they approached this is real bad.

It is the big companies who have invested heavily have a say. These, I presume use the Enterprise Edition. We the small consumers don't have much say. But, it was we the small consumers, who made Sibersystems what it is today.

The story of Mitch Kapor is well known.

Best regards,

KOR!

24. SirDracula

You cannot let companies like this blackmail you because of your library of passwords. I can no longer trust Roboform. If they cannot keep their word and honor free upgrades, how can I trust them with my passwords? When they check for updates or after a software update, they submit a big encoded string to their servers. I don't know what's in that string, for all I know a decrypted version of my passwords could be in there. I cannot trust their word anymore. Why are they not open and just submit a clear text string (over SSL of course) for the user to see exactly what information is being submitted?

25. b2carey_siber

b2carey_siber Registered Member

All,

I understand some of the frustration from the users, but I would like to clarify a few things, answer some of your FAQs from these posts, and to allow you to see Siber Systems' point of view.

Do You have to Upgrade?

No. RoboForm 6 is still available and your are not forced to upgrade at all. Just install the latest version of RoboForm 6 and you can continue to use it forever.

Why did Siber trick me into upgrading?

That was completely unintentional. When we soft-launched RoboForm 7 a few weeks ago we were still working on messaging throughout the site. If anyone has ever managed a big website before they understand that it is often impossible to get everything right the first time. In this case we realized that we did not have enough messaging that Version 7 was a paid upgrade before the update. We have since added additional messaging and will continue to improve the messaging even further. The last thing we want to do is trick people, although we completely understand how you feel if you have already gone through this process.

Why did you decide to charge for this upgrade?

The world has significantly changed since we first released our password manager in 1999. There are new operating systems, there are new browsers, there are new mobile devices and all these things keep changing on a regular basis. Further, website keep getting increasingly more secure and complex. It has become increasingly more expensive to keep up with these ever-changing technologies.

Nowadays we consider password management to be very similar to security products in that we need to be constantly monitoring operating systems, mobile devices, browsers, websites etc. in order to keep up with the rapidly changing world. It's a lot more expensive to keep-up today than it was yesterday.

In addition, user behavior has changed. In the past we typically saw one or two users with RoboForm on one computer. One license...one computer...no problem. In today's world we see one user have multiple computers and devices. This is why we created RoboForm Everywhere...in our mind, at $19.95 per year for unlimited computers and devices, RoboForm Everywhere was created to be more convenient and less expensive for our users. Because we want to encourage everyone to try it, we priced it at $9.95 for the first year.

Users are struggling with these technology changes as well. In the past few years we have seen the number of non-bug related support tickets increase 3-fold and we continue to answer each and every email and phone call (albeit we're a bit slower to respond right now :)

What is the Upgrade Pricing?

Our normal pricing for RoboForm Desktop 7 is $29.95 per license. If you purchased RoboForm after September 1, 2010 then you get a free upgrade to RoboForm Desktop, or a free year of RoboForm Everywhere. If you purchased before September 1, 2010, then you get a $10.00 discount on your upgrade license.

What is our goal?

We're not a bunch of bad guys. We didn't devise a plan to try and trick our users. Anyone who truly knows us, understands that we go well out of our way to make everyone we can happy.

All we want is to find a way to continue to bring you a quality product at an affordable and reasonable price.

Unfortunately we've had some missteps with our communications, but we're improving our communication every day.

What if I'm still not satisfied?

We want to make everyone happy. If you feel we are still not justified in charging for upgrades please contact us at the emails below. Perhaps we can find a way to make you happy and keep you as a customer for life.

Simon Davis - sdavis(at)roboform.com
    Bill Carey - b2carey(at)roboform.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.