AI Roboform 7.1.0 - Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AvinashR, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Never said I'm testing 7 and never will unless I upgrade. Point is, $50 more than I am willing to pay at this time is enough of an obstacle to induce me to consider many credible alternatives including free ones for which there is no lack of advocates here at Wilders. Times have indeed changed, for many of us, but on both edges of the sword.

2. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

Man, you've got to love these marketing tricks...
    On the comparison page, it says you pay the 30 bucks just this once. So, any average Joe who doesn't look close enough will think Hey, I'm gonna pay 30$ once for this great password manager? Deal!
    What he's surely going to miss or misunderstand is the "Free Major Upgrades" part. He doesn't realize that if you guys release version 8 next year, he just paid 30$ for... 6 months. Heck, even Lastpass offers a better deal...
    Of course, the above example is somewhat of an exaggeration to prove a point, because you probably won't be releasing version 8 in a few months, but the facts remain the same:
    - You CANNOT expect people to pay $50 (or more) to use a program for 4 or 5 months (because that's what you’re asking from any person who purchased Roboform in August, July, June etc 2010) and let's not get into talking how most users thought they were buying a lifetime license...
    - If this happened with version 7, it means it will surely happen with the next major version... (that is, people paying almost twice as much for Roboform)
    - You CANNOT expect MOST people to adopt this Everywhere concept. I'm sure a lot of people use Roboform on their workstation/laptop and a license or two will suffice; a yearly subscription surely doesn't justify itself... (In my personal opinion, you guys still don’t have what it takes to compete with Lastpass from the yearly subscription point of view, but that’s just my take on this)
    Later today I’ll also post a more polished version of this post as a reply to your comment/my article on Softpedia, since a lot of people had their say there too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I am using Version 6.10 and it is working just fine for me. Until I absolutely have to upgrade I wont - although I will keep an eye on http://www.bitsdujour.com/ as Roboform often has 50% off deals there. If your current system works -why sweat. If you don't upgrade your browser to a new major release you'll probably be fine

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You are acting that personally you are not management and just marketing. And, you are showing a rift within the management. The beta testing of version 7 was going on for almost a year and you had enough time to make marketing decision and let your customers know according.

The reason you have left it so soft is because based on customer's reaction, you can change things a little a time to pacify. This is very dangerous, will leave everyone unhappy and might damage your reputation beyond repair.

So, here are my suggestions and need to be implemented as soon as possible.

1. Owners of RoboForm Desktop version 6 should be given free lifetime upgrades, this is not only your legal liability but also your moral responsibility.

Anyone, who upgraded to version 7 under duress like myself, their money should be refunded. I had no choice but to upgrade as there is no plugin for the latest Firefox version 4b7 for the RoboForm Desktop version 6 users. But this only provided to RoboForm Desktop version 7 users. So, in a month or two when the latest version 4 of Firefox is released, the RoboForm Desktop version 6 users will be left high and dry.

2. Anyone who decided to use your cloud service, you are welcome to charge what the market bears. You are under no legal or moral liability, to provide this service free to anyone.

3. People who started with RoboForm Desktop version 7, they should be given free lifetime upgrades too. However, in future if you want to sell your RoboForm Desktop version to new customers without giving them free lifetime upgrades, then you are entitled to do so. But you are under moral responsibility not to change your policy overnight. AnyDVD gave six months warning to their future customers, that if they purchase within the six months warning period, they are still entitled to free lifetime upgrades. After that the company will no longer sell free lifetime upgrades to future customers.

This is my 2 cents. And, if you are not management, you are the one doing the damage control and in the end the stuff flows downhill. If I was you, I will take out my CV and start dusting it off. Or, should I say resume!

Sorry, to be this harsh!

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I did the upgrade not realizing there was a fee and now I read this thread and what a disappointment from Siber Systems! And it still is very buggy with Chrome. I will revert back to v6.10 and keep using it or switch to something else.

6. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

So if your browser has a critical security hole in it, your not going to update it :blink:

I bought my license mid October. I emailed Roboform yesterday. Today I was amazed, as I had a reply, saying to download version 7 and activate it with my original order number. So they have allowed me a free upgrade. To say, I am pleased about this, is a massive understatement.
    I don't think R.F thought this through very well, It's not been handled very well. Many people will automatically upgrade from 6 to 7, not realising it reverts to the free version. Whether they will need to contact R.F or not, is not clear.

7. SiberSystems

SiberSystems Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Please note we are emailing users early next week either on Monday or Tuesday to inform them of the free upgrade policy and provide an automated method for upgrading the license.

8. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Years ago, when I first started to try to really learn something about security and the web, I bought a lifetime license from RF.
    A little more than 2 years ago I got rid of my old pc and built a new one for my wife.
    Rather than rip off RF by just using my old license on the new pc I paid again for a lifetime license.
    I felt that I was doing the next right thing despite living on a fixed income.
    I don't see me even being able to afford to do this again. Not even sure I want to anymore.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Hugger

9. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Does that mean you are changing the policy and people who purchased Roboform 6 Pro Lifetime will get a free upgrade?

10. silver0066

What is your policy in a situation where I buy a new computer and retire the one where I have purchased a v7 Pro license?

11. aladdin

Excellent question, though I will slightly re-word it.

Does that mean you are complying with the policy and people who purchased Roboform 6 Pro Lifetime will get a free upgrade?

Do you trust their word anymore. They will promise you everything to sell you the version 7 now. And, in future they will not keep their promise!

Best regards,

KOR!

12. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

There are no problems upgrading computer or moving license but you might have to check FAQ

Q: I lost my RoboForm Pro status because of Windows reinstall. How do I get it back?
    A: Use our Pro Activator. It will ask you for your Name and Order ID or E-mail or Zip/Post Code. Upon finding you in the database the system will perform activation of RoboForm Pro on your computer.

Pro Activator is the page you activate on http://www.roboform.com/php/pums/pums_usrlogfrm.php?lang=en If no go you send them a msg. with required info and they reset code. They use a ticket system, very professional and with few problems for customers :)

13. aladdin

And, which version your are talking about. Version 6 or 7?

14. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Both. As of today there are no mention of changes regarding reset of licenses, not according to the FAQ at least.

15. aladdin

So, you were provided a free upgrade to version 7 from version 6 as per their free lifetime upgrade policy?

16. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

No but if I lose codes, have to reregister Roboform because of new computer/Windows that should not be a problem. Is answer to Silver0066 question, "What is your policy in a situation where I buy a new computer and retire the one where I have purchased a v7 Pro license?" Not really related to upgrade policy. I guess they could add something like max. 2 resets or account is closed for ever just to annoy people - better not give them any ideas.

17. aladdin

When they sold version 6, they promised everyone free lifetime upgrades. Can they be trusted now regarding anything or any policy matters?

18. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Time will tell but I don't believe keep using version 6 is a valid solution for all - even if they say it will be made compatible with latest browsers. Do they btw.? First of all it blows compared to 7 and secondly I wonder about their interest ;) I think there will be a "no one forces you to use Firefox 4 or IE9" situation sooner than later.

Anyway there are different complaints about same issue. Some want year old licenses to be free for ever, includes version 8, 9 etc. and others like me want a more gracious policy for those with 6.x licenses. Free 7 upgrade going back min. 1 year. Effective damage control since most in that segment will find change very strange if not questionable. For older licenses I think joy over better program put out most of the fire.

19. aladdin

I have purchased 2 licenses for version 6. I have paid them for 2 licenses for version 7. What I resent the way they are going about it. They have lost all their credibility.

Kind regards,

KOR!

BTW, free upgrades were not promised for version 6 only. But rather lifetime free upgrades, which means any new versions.

20. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Yes it is amateur work for sure. Also why I have not and will not pay for upgrade. Make current licenses pretty much useless but too bad. When I noticed they kept selling 6.x licenses while not having a clear upgrade policy Roboform lost it with me. Version 7 and new feature list has been under way for many months. Transition is too strict for some customers besides being poorly communicated.

21. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Bought my first license in 2003 lifetime renew and updates. In oct. of this year 2010 I bought another license. When I renewed to ver. 7 , I was charged for both on my credit card. Is this correct? I like the product but don't want ripped off either.

22. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Apparently you were screwed:

Q: I recently purchased v6 and I would like to upgrade to RoboForm 7. Do I have to purchase another license?
    A: For a limited time, we are offering customers who purchased v6 Pro on or after September 1, 2010 the opportunity to upgrade to those licenses to RoboForm 7 free of charge. Contact Support to claim your free upgrade.

But I guess last sentence mean you must contact Roboform and claim upgrade. Perhaps not implemented in ordering system.

23. silver0066

It doesn't matter now. I switched to LastPass and like it much better. Plus, I will never trust or buy anything from SiberSystems again. ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
  24. aladdin

I have been using XMarks to sync bookmarks between computers and browsers. It also syncs passwords stored in the browsers too. I didn't use this feature due to security reasons.

Now, LastPass has acquired XMarks, so the combination of both LastPass and XMarks most probably will become the choice for many RoboForm users.

Kind regards,

KOR!

25. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I also did an upgrade not knowing it wasn't a free upgrade, I bought both Roboform and GoodSync and use Roboforum online to keep my info.

v.7.1 didn't even come with a link on the toolbar to sync with GoodSync, it used its own built-in synchronization. I had to manually configure it to use GoodSync. After test drive, I realized there was no benefit to upgrade to v.7.1 since v.6.10 and GoodSync worked very well together and was already configured. And since I have already bought both of them, there is no need to pay more money for what I don't need. So I'm back to v.6.10 and GoodSync. I will continue to use them until I have to change, but I will never buy another product from Siber System again...

Lastpass looks very interesting- http://lastpass.com/features_compare.php (no limitations in free version just ads), I just dread moving everything over to it but since I have GoodSync, I can access my info very easy.

Thanks.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.