AGNIS for NIS 2002 Withdrawn

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eric L. Howes, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AGNIS for Norton Internet Security 2002 v. 4.0 has been withdrawn. It has been determined that the standard AGNIS block list for NIS *is* compatible with NIS 2002 v. 4.0. It should be used instead of the custom block list for NIS 2002 that was previously available on this page:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#AGNIS4

NIS 2002 v. 4.0 users should uninstall the version of AGNIS for NIS 2002 block list that was previously available from that page. The download page listed above has detailed uninstallation instructions as well as an uninstaller package.

The uninstaller package includes all the files you need to uninstall the AGNIS for NIS 2002 ad block list. To uninstall the AGNIS for NIS 2002 block list you can either uninstall it manually or use the UNINST.BAT batch file utility that is included with the uninstaller package. A copy of the uninstallation instructions from the download page is included in the uninstaller package.

Once you have uninstalled that obsolete block list, you can install the standard AGNIS block list, which is compatible with NIS 2002 v. 4.0.

If you installed AGNIS for NIS 2002, please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. I finally decided to download a trial version of NIS 2002 4.0 myself from Symantec's web site (on a dialup connection, mind you) and install it to doublecheck compatibility. Once I installed it and nosed around, I quickly realized that there was no need for a custom NIS 2002 block list. Subsequent testing with the standard AGNIS block list confirmed this conclusion. (I was previously relying on several NIS 2002 users to provide me with block list info. Let me stress, though, that the errors with AGNIS for NIS 2002 are MY FAULT ALONE.)

If you have questions about this uninstallation package (or the standard AGNIS block list), please don't hesitate to email me at:

eburger68@yahoo.com

All the best,

Eric L. Howes

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Eric - Thanks for the heads'-up!

Everyone makes mistakes - the ones that are quickly admitted to and corrected are the ones most easily forgiven, understood and forgotten.

Please keep up the good work! We need you out here! Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.