After PRISM, still using Gmail/outlook??

Discussion in 'polls' started by dogbite, Sep 18, 2013.

?

Away from Gmail/Outlook after PRISM?

1. Yes, 100%. I do not use any US giant's webmail any longer

15 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. I carry on using it

56 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. I keep using but not as main one

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sure, if you think that amount of privacy is worth sacrificing entire services. It's non-existent for me when big brother already has the private info I'm willing to put on Gmail/Outlook.

You never said what you're using, which I bet only truly works with end-to-end encryption. Not exactly universal or accessible for e-mail purposes.

The above quote is sure better than your last sarcastic/dismissive remark. Still idealistic though.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yes after PRISM I have abandoned Gmail and anything Google and Microsoft. And while I have no illusion that I can have my privacy, I can at least vote with my money and make it as hard as possible for NSA to aquire my information. They will have to higher a lawyer in Norway to get my email inobox contents :)
    As of right now I am in a transition process of completely becoming google free. I have aquired an offshore email address at runbox. Im paying these guys $20 a year. So I assume thats $20 a year less google is getting from selling my private data to the highest bidder. I have also switched out of Windows into Linux and i will never upgrade or buy another Windows system unless I have no choice because it's bundled. I have invested $10 into Linux community by buying one of their Linux Distro CDs and I also invested into Steam online gaming $30.
    So that's at least $50 that went directly to the competition. Im voting with my money.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

After the scandal, it actually makes more sense to use them than before.
    And nothing has really changed except public opinion, so ...
    Mrk

4. mattdocs12345

How so?

5. Mrkvonic

Because now everyone is aware of the problem.
    It's like extra security after a bank robbery or terrorist act.
    There to be seen, but doesn't change anything.

So if they had prism, now people are against it, and they may be forced to stop it or whatnot. So it's the best time to use online cloud email services really.

Mrk

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I continue to use it as I suspected they were doing this all along so nothing changes where I am concerned.

7. mattdocs12345

You got a point there but I would rather not keep my money in a bank that knew it was getting robbed and did nothing about it.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

But in this case, almost if not all e-mail providers are vulnerable to these things. :rolleyes:

9. mattdocs12345

True but some attempt to fight the robbery while others open their door wide open and welcome the robbers with pat on the back, coffee and doughnuts.

10. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

:thumb:

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

So spitting into the wind is the tactic? My choice is no email, tin hat or snail mail ... really? Govt. listeners are focused on keywords, recruiting websites and morons who use FB and Twitter to voice unsavory political views. Today most of the hard core T's are using code words which make this type of spying useless. If you think that your mundane life is of any interest to these spying agencies then you are a Millenium or you are paranoid. To expect privacy on the internet is lunacy. We want it to remain unregulated, so the good, the bad and the ugly participate. That means everybody no matter their intentions.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I considered for a moment or two to skip gmail, but it is nice to have everything "under one roof" so to speak. My Nexus 4, mail, calendar, google drive and so on. It is very convinient. And free (except google drive)

I have decided that I dont care if anyone can do a profile of me. I block all ads anyway and have done so for years so they never bother me. (I literally get a shock when I use other peoples computers on the web :) )
    I cannot see the threat to me tbh.. I dont think I am such intresting person that NSA or other governments would have any use of knowing what I do on the net. Of course if a dictatorship seizes power and they want to oppress the average joe, I´m in deep sh*t :D They will have everything about everybody served on a tray...

But when I decide to do some crime or I want to go dark I wont use it of course :cool: but then I won't use any electronic stuff at all anyway

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  13. Mrkvonic

It's not about something being a threat, it's about control.
    Always has been, since the first human picked a club and told the rest: bow.
    Mrk

14. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Same.

15. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Little or no change. Try to live life as worry free as possible.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If you're using email for "sensitive" things, you're doing it wrong. Email was never designed with privacy in mind.

So yes, I continue using it.

17. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Yep, Gmail since 2005

18. mattdocs12345

Sure but it doesn't mean that you have to support their business model.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

But we all do. People use Google and MS products all the time. I use a Windows Phone and gotta have a MS account to use the features fully. So I use my old Outlook account. Also Skydrive is convenient to use as it's integrated with so many MS products now. NSA gets info from major companies anyways by hook or by crook. No matter how much voice is raised, all these awareness and protest against NSA programs like PRISM is just temporary. These programs will continue in one form or another hiding away from limelight until another whistle blower like Snowden produces revelations about the programs. Services from Google, MS and likewise companies will continue to have mass appeal around the world. The privacy of people using the internet will be in the hands of the NSA. And the bottom line.

20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I don't care about the PRISM.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use Gmail, Yahoo mail and Outlook. PRISM hasn't changed anything for me. It's really simple: if you want something to stay private, don't put it on internet, computer or any other electronic device...

hqsec

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You mean don't put it anywhere outside you head (for now). Electronic devices are more secure (at least in a more convenient way) than most written solutions anyways.

23. new2security

new2security Registered Member

If not by NSA, my gov't (Sweden) is looking at my emails, so I don't really care anymore. :)

24. mattdocs12345

25. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Perhaps time to go back to snail mail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.