After installation the file "trueimage.exe" not found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RknRusty, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RknRusty

RknRusty Registered Member

I installed the 15 day trial last month and copied my old HD contents over to my new drive, then un-installed Acronis. Now I've decided I want the backup capabilities, so I re-installed True Image Home, but the .exe file did not install.

I want to purchase the software, so if I pay the $49.95 and download the install file again, will it install the .exe file?
    What steps should I take?
    Thanks,
    Rusty

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RknRusty,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please describe the issue in more details? Do you receive any error messages or maybe trial period just ended? Even if you uninstalled the trial version you will not be able to install it again after 15 days.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. RknRusty

After the message says, "Installation is Complete" the shortcuts to Acronis True Image Home on the desktop and in the start menu are generic Windows icons. The shortcut's target is "C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImage.exe"
    When I navigate to that folder, there is no EXE file. The only file in that folder is timounter.dll.

So, if I download the purchased version, do you think it will install correctly?

Thanks for your response, Dmitry.

4. Acronis Support

Hello RknRusty,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Installing the full version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 should solve the issue. In case the issue persists I would recommend you contact us via Live Chat and receive solution immediately.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. RknRusty

Thanks, Dmitry. I suspected that was the answer, but I wanted to make sure before I spent the money.

Rusty

6. Acronis Support

7. RknRusty

I just went to Best Buy and purchased the boxed True Image Home 2009 and installed it. I still have the EXACT same problem. After installation is complete, the file: "C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImage.exe" does not exist. The only file in that folder is "timounter.dll" The shortcut icons are of course just Windows generic with no association. Could there be a missing registry entry from when I removed the earlier trial version? I can't think of any other problem it could be.
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Rusty

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Could this be a hidden file? Do you get an error message when you click on the startup link?

Stop your antivirus software, firewall, etc and do another install but choose repair rather than another install.

Be sure and insert your TI serial number if you have not done so.

9. RknRusty

Thanks Grover

I have my folder settings to show hidden files and folders. When I just now double checked, I unchecked "hide operating system files" but still don't see it in the C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome folder. The only file there is the timounter.dll.

I will turn off the NIS 2009 and try it. Earlier today when I tried the second time, it looked like it automatically chose repair and never stopped to give me a choice. I do remember that option with the old trial version though.

If it asks fo it, I will re-insert the serial number and see what happens.

I appreciate your quick response, and will keep you apprised. I'll be back at it this evening sometime (EDT). Got a big NCAA basketball game to worry about too.:D

10. GroverH

You have not indicated whether TrueImage is functional?

Perhaps this is a file permissions issue. Do you have other user names on your computer?

If TI functional, either mount or explore a backup archive. Perform a normal search function on the arcive or mounted image and see if the TrueImage.exe file is visible via the search function within the backup.

11. RknRusty

No, as soon as I click the shortcut, the "Missing Shortcut" popup starts searching for the file. It will keep searching till it gives up. If I click browse, then it goes directly to the folder where the exe file is supposed to be..

I've done a search all over the system and it's not there.

I'm the only user and I automatically log in as administrator. I do use "dropmyrights.exe" when I browse the internet or use Outlook to prevent accidentally downloading any nasties.

I'll get back and try installing with NIS disabled a little later on.

Rusty

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  12. RknRusty

I filed a question about this with Acronis Support, with a link to this thread, but they might take longer than I want to wait. I really need to get these backups running.

Okay, I disabled all NIS 2009 security: antivirus, anti spyware, advanced protection, smart firewall, and intrusion prevention. Then I re-installed True Image home. It gives no options for repair or install. It just says, "Installing/Re-installing True Image Home," and takes off by itself until it says, "Installation Complete." But after that, the shortcuts still have no trueimage.exe file at their target.

I have the old drive with the original Acronis trial installation on it, from which this system on my current new drive was borne. I could plug the old drive in and copy the exe file from there and put it in its proper place here on the new drive. Would that work?

Now I've noticed the other acronis shortcut for Rescue Media Builder in the Start menu is missing too. The folder: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\MediaBuilderHome" does not exist, and of course, neither does the file: mediabuilder.exe. I don't really care about that one though.

Also, there is no Acronis or True Image listed in Control Panel > Add/Remove Software. Is that because there is no exe file too?

13. GroverH

I would return to your Acronis registration page and download the latest copy from Acronis--even if it is the same as what you got from Best Buy.

I would also download their cleanup utility.
    Updated Cleanup utility
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/articles/958/

After downloading, I would run the cleanup utiility and then do a fresh install.
    Before re-installing the new download, I would disable the programs previously mentioned in your prior post. Your serial number will be required or should be added--if not required. There is an option to add registration numbers after installing.

14. RknRusty

Thanks Grover, that sounds like a good idea. I was editing my post while you were typing your latest reply, so I added another question you didn't see before you posted this.

15. RknRusty

Got the cleanup utility and am about to run it now.

16. RknRusty

I used the cleanup utility, which looks like it removed all folders. Then I downloaded the latest build and installed it with all the security systems turned off. Still have the same exact problem. :(

Do you think it would work if I connected the old clunker drive and copied the exe file off of it and pasted it into the TrueImage folder on this drive?

Edit: I took a look at the registry after running the cleanup utility again, and there are still 66 entries acronis. I did nothing about it, I just looked and noted it. I tried another re-install of the new build but no progress. Still the same old problem.

Maybe we can attack it again Friday. Good night.

17. GroverH

I'm running out of solutions for you. Copying the trial version exe will not help you.

Do you have a registry cleaner which you could run to get rid of the entries? Maybe cCleaner could help.

Just to confirm, you did register your software and the new download is from the downloads area of your own account? Downloading the trial version would not help you.

18. RknRusty

Yes I am registered, and the new download is from my account area.

I found out that copying the files didn't help, other than it gave me the correct shortcut icon. When I looked at the old drive, there were many more files and folders missing too.

I ran the cleanup utility before I called it quits last night, so now is a good time to let cCleaner look at the registry. I usually don't use the registry cleaner, but I'll set a restore point, plus I have a good EruNT backup from before I started all of this yesterday too.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I may end up returning it and shelling out 20 more bucks for Norton Ghost if they still make it. I've read bad things about the newest Norton backup and recovery software.
    Thanks,
    Rusty

19. RknRusty

I cleaned up the registry with CCleaner and found a few acronis entries, but still the same old thing. I can't be the only person that has had this happen. I'll wait for a reply from Acronis Support. They have a link to this thread.

20. GroverH

Rusty,
    I would return to Live Chat for the quickest response. Glad to see you using ERunt. I have my restore points turned off and an ERunt backup of the registry is created nightly.

My gut feel is that this is a security issues problem but it still could be an Acronis problem relating to your first trail install. Hope you get it resolved.

What is the status of your spare disk? Is this something that you could install in place of your currrent disk and see if the new TI will install?

21. RknRusty

The old disk had been making clicking noises, mostly for the first 20 minutes as it warmed up (I usually leave it in standby at night). I was afraid of a catastrophic failure, so I bought a new HD and used the trial version to copy it over to the new one. I was impressed; I never expected the copy to work so well. FWIW, I'm running XP SP3.

I could try installing it on the old disk, since it still works, but then what would that get me?

I might try uninstalling Norton and re-installing Acronis. I can try that this afternoon.

22. GroverH

Installing onto the other drive would serve no usefule purpose except to determine whether the problem is Acronis or on your computer. This would be a last ditch efforrt to pinpoint the cause. I do not believe Acronis to be the problem. I lean more toward a security restriction on your computer--but I am not sure.

Another option as a test would be to create a new user and let the new user install Acronis. If that is successful, then it points even more toward a secruty restriction under your old logon. I hope the removing Norton will be the solution.

23. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

24. RknRusty

I've already got the Norton Removal tool, so I will use it when I get back to it. Acronis trial worked fine on the old drive and is still on it, so I might try that. The security settings should be identical. First, I think the next move I make is to try installing again with Norton completely removed.

The weather is too nice to ignore right now though. I'll get back on it later this afternoon. It's gonna be 80° out there today! :cool:

25. RknRusty

IT'S WORKING NOW

I got online with the Acronis Live Chat and worked with Anshuman Shukla; actually he did most of the work.

He took control of my system and many of the things he did were repeats of what I had tried, but he had some more tricks. First he ran the Acronis Cleanup tool, and then the Windows Installer cleanup utility after installing DEVCON.EXE (all of which I did last night), but it seemed to do more for him. Not sure what was different. He got MSIZAP.EXE to work; I couldn't. Maybe that was some of the difference.

Then he spent nearly an hour manually deleting registry entries, and some other files that were listed on an Acronis manual uninstall web page, which I had also done last week, but I saw him clear out a couple more files than I had found. When he finished, I turned off all security and installed Acronis, and it worked perfectly.

He had to change administrator permissions to try and delete a couple of entries, and I forgot to ask if I should set them back, now that I'm up and running. I should investigate that.

That has to be the most helpful technical response I've ever gotten in my computer life, which dates back to DOS 5.0.

Thanks to Grover and Bruce for sticking with me and feeding me ideas as I hacked away at it.

Hmmm, I think I'll run a system backup now. I've been keeping my patchy manual backups in my bank box, maybe I'll look into a web service. And start saving up for a big ole external HD. :D :cool: :thumb: :argh: I'm a happy boy.
    Bye all,
    Rusty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.