after format acronis security zone partition, my Pc cannot boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gnwd, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnwd

gnwd Registered Member

win2k, true image 9.0.

after i formated the security zone partition to fat32, then I reboot my win2k os, but now, it promptly stoped after the bios information finished

not any msgs prompted me here...

I have neither floppy drive installed nor the cdrom installed.
    but can boot from an usb flash disk.

what can i do?

master disk:
    partition information:
    ====================
    1. ntfs (win2k os)
    2. extended partition
    ----3. ntfs (userdata)
    ----4. ntfs (program) ---- I have installed the "true image" here and boot my win2k from the master disk.

slave disk:
    partition information:
    ===================
    1. ntfs
    2. the acronis security zone.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gnwd,

A bit of a stab in the dark but my guess is that when you originally created the Secure Zone (SZ) you also accepted the default option to activate the Startup Recovery Mananger (SRM). Doing so modifies the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the system disk to enable the "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manage" feature. It also checks for the presence of the SZ each time the system boots and, if not found, causes the boot process to hang. By formatting your slave drive you probably removed the SZ, hence the reason your system fails to boot.

The SRM can be removed by booting into the Recovery Console from a Windows installation CD and issuing the command fixmbr or downloading the Acronis mbrautowrite.exe utility detailed in the Sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>. However, as you have neither a floppy disk or CD-ROM, this won't be possible but you do say you can boot from an USB flash drive. Well, hopefully, you previously created the Acronis bootable rescue media onto the flash drive and tested it!! If so, use it to boot into the recovery mode and recreate the SZ with an activated SRM. This should enable you to successfully boot your system. If you don't want to keep the SZ then remove it via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard. Doing so will also remove the SRM and return the MBR to normal.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

3. gnwd

gnwd Registered Member

In the first place, I should express my gratitude for all you (Menorcaman) wrote.
    After many times of attempt at rescuing my systems, I was ready to give it away. But at exactly that moment, I found a small change unattended before.
    It was: the access mode of master drive displayed as LRG not LBA. This was really strange to me since I had never change it in bios settings. ( I think it should be LBA mode)

Anyhow, after I turned the access mode back to LBA from LRG(large), the system could boot again!

o_O o_O o_O

4. gnwd

gnwd Registered Member

BTW, I had reset the mbr to standard win98 mbr before I found the access mode problem.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello again gnwd,

Spooky! I wonder what caused your BIOS to change to LRG in the first place? Certainly not True Image, that's for sure!!

Anyway, I'm pleased that you managed to sort out the problem.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.