adware question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Unsure, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsure

Unsure Guest

Adware seems to work quite good but there are 2 items that always show up after I leave the net. I check the updates daily and wonder why the following always appear..

IWON----------regkey

tracker Co------flie------data minor

I would think if it caught once it shouldn't show up anymore. Am I not understanding what the purpose of this program is supposed to do? I also have Spyware Guard and Spy Blaster installed.

thanks

2. Nick

Nick Registered Member

You need to adjust some of your security settings. If you have not already done so, read this by Tony Klein. You already have some of what he mentions, but there is alot of useful info there.

Ad-Aware only cleans items after they have entered your system. It does nothing to prevent reinfection.

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I think it's important to mention that you need to state the exact programs you are talking about. Adware is not Ad-aware and are you talking about spyware blaster or something else? This is important information that people need in order to provide you with the best possible solutions. :(

4. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Unsure, I'm assuming your post is referring to Adaware, which is a freeware program (unless you buy the upgrade, which I've done, BTW). It will catch most (but not all) adware/malware crap your box picks up when you surf. If you see "Tracking cookie - Data Miner" listed in the Adaware scan, these are simply cookies that many websites place on your drive and they're always safe to delete. If there are other things, such as registry changes, either check Adaware help or do a google on the listed phrase to be sure if you want to delete it or not (tweaking your registry haphazardly can create some real headaches). If you're not sure about what to delete, post a question here or on another security forum. Folks are always willing to help. You might want to add another spyware prog such as Spybot S&D or Spywareblaster or.....? in order to supplement Adaware. I've found it a good idea to have a couple malware proggies. What one misses, the other usually detects. Also, be sure to tighten up you browser's security settings as Nick said in his post (especially if you're using IE as I do). BTW, in case you missed his link (I hate the way YaBB barely highlights reworded links - his was the word "this") this is the actual url:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051

Markus Jansson also has some good information on his website here:

http://www.markusjansson.net/esecuring.html

Best of luck in safe computing! :D

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

That's a good point about Ad-Aware vs adaware. I think I'll start calling it Ad-Aware 6 from now on to avoid confusion.

FYI Ad-Aware 6 is this

6. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.