Advice wanted

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dte, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dte

dte Registered Member

Hi all.

I'm a new nod32 user and going through the process of granting permission to thoses never ending programs that want access. Cane anyone tell me what "NDIS user mode I/O driver" is and is it safe to grant access.

Cheers

David

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi dte,

If I correctly remember that is the TCP/IP driver you are referring to. HTH

Cheers :)

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders David.

These links may be useful. Look at the answers at the bottom of the page too:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Broadband/Q_20919833.html
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Q_20306681.html

Nod32 is an anti-virus and while it does scan for malware in some network traffic, it is not an outbound firewall that controls what programs can connect.
    The process of granting permission to programs that want access is configuring an outbound firewall. Are you using Sygate firewall? Are you using wireless to connect? Are you using File and Printer Sharing? If so then it is probably just a needed component.

This firewall thread may be helpful also:
    Questions for beginners,.. Ask away

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

If you block NDIS user mode I/O driver, nothing that uses TCP/IP will be able to do anything, but you can configure very tightly controlled rules for it also if you wish since nothing can use TCP/IP without going through this driver unless it has it's own TCP/IP driver. On my PC I just have it permitted since that suites my need very well.
    Definately a firewall question though - NDIS user mode I/O driver is a windows component, nothing to do with NOD32. Sounds like Sygate firewall to me also - good choice really IMO.

Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  5. dte

dte Registered Member

Thank you all for your advise, you were most helpful.

Cheers

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.