Advice Request for Wireless Router Please!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by NewtonsApple98, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I can, since my Router has an inbuild modem:)

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No it doesn't - it is not built into the router. That piece of hardware that you are calling a router is really two separate devices in one case - the router and the modem. So it is the modem that is serving as the "Internet gateway" between the Internet (your ISP) and your network. And the router is your network device that is connecting your network (everything on your side of the modem) to the gateway device.

If you can connect more than one computer to your "router" then you really have a 3 in 1 device. A router, modem, and an Ethernet switch. If you can connect via wireless, then you also have in that same box another discrete device, a WAP - a wireless access point.

Understand that marketing weenies have made a mess of the correct technical terminologies here. For example, as I mentioned earlier, technically speaking there is no such thing as a wireless router. It is just a WAP and a router integrated in the same box. But marketing weenies use the term wireless router because that makes sense to the layperson. But to a technician or engineer looking at the schematics, they are totally separate, but connected devices.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I can do all of that, as I already said.
    Plus it includes IP Telephony as well.

4. Bill_Bright

Sounds like you are good to go.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That's technically not correct, the terms are not being used correctly. You of all people..usually stickler for details and technicalities...example...home routers really being a router, access point, built in 4 port switch, all wrapped up in one device...you take the time to explain that to people, yet blunder on a bigger difference...the differences between a router, modem, and how the term gateway fits in?

In todays terms, the modem bridges the incoming broadband that you have to ethernet, it does not route at all, period, nothing close. If you plug your computer directly into a cable modem, and your PC obtains a public IP address..that modem is not your gateway, you're running without a gateway since your PC is on a public IP address. (technically a block of public IPs that your ISP purchased..but that's a different matter). That moto surfboard is not a gateway. Nor is it a router. It's not routing packets. It's passing packets across two different topologies.

Now flip to DSL, these days ISP shipping combo modem/routers..and yes those can be called a gateway because it is...importantly, a combo modem/router, in one little black or silver box. They usually arrive with the router/firewall mode enabled, and your computer obtains a private class C IP address, such as 192.168.254.100. Your computer may be the only PC in your house, but you're technically on your own network. And the is the important point that's zooming over you by a few feet. That little combo modem/router uses a technology called NAT, and importantly, "routes" your PCs traffic out to the public IP addres that the little mini built in router is obtaining on it's hidden built in WAN/Red interface...and out across the modem up to your ISPs backbone and out onto the internet.

A gateway has to be a router, it connects two networks. By definition a modem does not connect two networks, it puts your computer onto A network....but your computer pulls an IP address directly from THAT network, your computer is NOT on its OWN network. You need to have a ROUTER separate your computer and put it on its own network to do that, thus the need for a gateway, since a gateway connects two networks.

You're believing what, in your own words, the "marketing weenies" are telling people.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

And of I went;)

You see, I bought a Router with all in it so I would just need to have ONE single Box sitting on my desk, instead of having Two or even more Boxes.

7. Bill_Bright

I give up, and saddened that YeOldStonecat felt it necessary to launch a personal character attack in an attempt to make a point. :(

Do NOT misquote, twist my words around, imply or suggest I said something I did not! I never said, implied or suggested a modem routes anything! :mad: Nor did I ever say a router cannot be a gateway device. I said repeatedly that in home networks, the modem serves as the Internet gateway device and I stand by that. In a home network you do not connect to the Internet (or your ISP) by router alone. You must still have a modem.

I also said that you were right, that a modem, as in modulator/demodulator, is not a gateway in itself. But I also said that we are talking home networks here, not corporate level networks. And, again, in home networks the modem serves as the gateway device. Without the modem, you are not going to connect to the Internet. Networking Glossary, definition of "Gateway":
    I will say this again, then I am done with this conversation. In home networks, the modem acts as the Internet gateway device that connects you (or your network - even if a network of one computer) to the Internet. You do not need a separate router or combo device to connect to the Internet. But you do need a modem - which I note, is all millions of users are using today. The gateway, while I agree is typically a router in most large or corporate networks, but it does not have to be a router. It does not even have to be a hardware device. In fact, gateway is a generic term for a network system that can be implemented totally in hardware, totally in software, or a combination of hardware and software. It can be a router, it can be a PC. But for "residential gateways" the gateway device used most often to connect the "home" network to the Internet is the Cable or DSL "modem".

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Since the original questions have been asked and answered, and the thread as devolved into a termonology dispute, we'll close it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.