Advice re using Host File protection - do I need it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bahjan, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Hi,

I am a complete newbie regarding Host file protection. I have been looking at MVPS Hosts for an extra layer of protection. My question is this - do I need it, and is MVPS better or equivient to Winpartrol (which I am considering using) or Spybot immunisation?

Here's what I have installed antispyware wise at the at the moment:
    SpywareBlaster
    Superantispyware
    A-Squared Free

I also use Firefox 2.0 with Site Advisor and Roboform Free.

I appear to have no host file on my Windows 98se at the moment. I like the idea that MVPS might speed loading of some sites - firefox seems a bit sluggish on my machine - though given the advantages over IE 6.1, I am willing to be patient. Is MVPS Hosts only useful to users of IE?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Winpatrol would be a nice addition to your setup IMO. I have the plus version(Paid and worth every penny,realtime) but the free version is also very nice to have.(polling) Still both versions have some very nice features.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Host File protection acts by diverting you away from potentially dangerous sites. If you attempt to visit such a site you will be unable to go there, so long as that site is listed in your Hosts file of course. There's a good tutorial on the Hosts file here:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

The type of immunization you get with Spybot/SpywareBlaster is rather different, it simply places a long list of known bad sites in the 'Restricted' zone of IE. This means you can go to the bad sites but there is little they can do to harm you since dangerous functions (scripting, java, Active X etc) are not permitted for sites in the Restricted zone.

Winpatrol is more of a system monitor, checking numerous system variables at regular intervals, so you can keep track of any adverse changes that may occur.

I don't find a need for a large Hosts file, one objection being that it is no protection from sites not listed that may also harm you; the other being that it may (though I'm not certain) slow you down checking through all the addresses.

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

6. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Thanks to all. Makes interesting reading.....

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Spybot's immunize feature only helps if your running IE. It doesn't hurt to keep it though.

Spyware Blaster mainly helps protect IE and only protects Firefox from certain cookies. It can also backup a hosts file.

MVPS hosts file instructions is how I learned about hosts files. I can't give you any advice on how to do it on Windows 98. It will help protect you no matter what browser you use. There are other hosts file lists beside MVPS.

None of the above are a replacement for a real-time anti-spyware/malware programs. Your best protection with Firefox is using the NoScript extension ;) .

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

The Host file is a good way of blocking by directing back to your machine but also used in directing to the correct address.

Very good in blocking web contents, ads and cookies.

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Troubleshooting Your Hosts File
    As far as the hosts file on W98, you could create a little batch file that copied YOUR hosts file to the SYSTEM hosts file at each boot?

Code:
    copy /y c:\hosts.cya c:\windows\hosts
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.