Advice please.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Doc Serenity, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I just caught ABC news' piece on the cyber attacks from China. Didn't listen all that closely but generally it seems that most of the problems we deal with are coming from China. US Government is aware of this.
    It's expected to get worse.
    So here's what I'd like to hear about.
    Other than leaktest scores, which of the firewalls are the more stable and user friendly?
    Same goes for HIPS.
    I'm currently using Windows firewall in XP Pro w/sp2 and Prosecurity.
    I've looked at the Castlecops comparisons of HIPS programs but I can't afford an interpretor.
    So I'm looking for strong programs that are very stable that do well with the leaktests and are user friendly.
    Hope you can help with this one.
    I don't have much but would not like to have some creep access my accts etc..
    Regards to all.
    Doc

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Doc,

You made no mention of an Anti-Virus. Are you using one? If not, -get one and install it.

I have Outpost Pro FW on my desktops and Comodo on my laptop. Of the two, I prefer Outpost.

NOD32 as AV

SSM as HIPS <-- takes a little while to get set up. Or, you can always run it in learning mode, but that doesn't provide the strongest rule-set. But I see you have Pro-Security, so keep it.

D/L an Anti-Malware app for on-demand scans: SuperAnti-Spyware, ewido, a-squared.

The most valued app on all of my boxes is FD-ISR. Get infected, just copy / update SnapShot and it's gone and you're back in business in a matter of minutes. With FD-ISR and my security apps, I'm bulletproof.

...screamer

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

4. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by that, but Prosecurity should have you covered in that department.

5. Doc Serenity

All-thanks for your replies.
    Screamer-I use Avira Personal Premium set to high.
    Also have Superantispyware free and a2 free for on demand.
    I'll take a look at ISR.

19Monty64-That's similar to what I was referring to. It's a problem that needs to be dealt with globally. I'm just looking to do what I can to protect my wife and me.

Nubiatech-it was a 'tongue in cheek' shot at my own ignorance of computer tech. If I understood all of that chart I'd be making a few extra bucks.

Regards.

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

What I was getting at, was that the "news" has a way of inciting paranoia, and thereby causing some to overload on security. Installing new security apps. for testing purposes is one thing, but doing so because of the "hype" can interfere with you and your wife's enjoyment of the computer. Just my 2c....

7. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Doc Serenity :)

o_O

Government, Institutions, Enterprises systems are the target of these pirates. (Chinese or american or from any part of the world...).

You're not the target, right? You're PC is not a zombie PC used as relay for their attack, right?

So, keep calm.

The same and well known security advices apply for this like for any other security threats over Internet. The most important: the Safe-Hex, an other name for the common sense...

Best regards,

:)

8. Doc Serenity

19Monty64 and Climenole,
    Thanks.
    I agree the 'news' is usually given by breathless talking heads that frequently nauseate me.
    And yes, I agree that the governments and big business are the general targets.
    I was just interested in finding out about possibly more stable and strong firewall and hips.
    Simply put, I may be an insignificant little fish in the sea, but I want to be able to hang on to what I've got in case somebody somewhere comes knocking.
    Regards.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just slap a cheap NAT router on there for inbound protection, no software firewall needed, then if you feel the need, install a HIPS, and use a safe browser, Firefox or Opera etc.. And of course a good AV, which I think you already have. Then you should be good to go.... just be intelligent about what you do online too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.