Advice on my current setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mvdu, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

My new setup is in my sig. Should I add ThreatFire (classical HIPS)?

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Uhhhh NO <--- You have so much allready

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I love layered security, though. Just my style. :)

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

When you have Comodo and you answer correctly to the pop ups, you pretty much are bulletproof in 99% of the cases.

Defensewall gives high security without the pop ups...

Overall, without being expert, i would say that Comodo is more secure. If for not for other reason, for the simple execution prevention that covers all your hard disk. But with Defensewall, you don't need to be right when you answer the pop ups. In fact, most of the time you won't see pop ups. You only need to know what to run as untrusted and what as trusted. So it's easier to use.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

id say dump comodo memory firewall and keep everything else.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Do you use Comodo's D+ with DefenseWall, or just the firewall?

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

It is also the best approach, IMO.

8. firzen771

im just running comodo for testing purposes with D+, will be uninstalling it soon though, comodo is just not my thing, probably go back to pc tool firewall.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yes, it adds two extra things:
    1. Simplicity in use.
    2. Resource separation (this prevents malware from hijacking your passwords).

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Hi Ilya - would D+ and DefenseWall go together well, or would you recommend just using DefenseWall?

11. firzen771

well while testing the 2 together, they DO work together, but i find comodo's D+ too irritating, so i prefer not using the D+ part of it.

12. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

If you search for more or less popup free protection or not - is that of interest?

I ran the latest Comodo test with DW and got 260. Does it worry me? Not much - when I was infected last a couple of years ago I added DW and havent been infected since, but of course - that real life - not a leaktest.

I added free Threatfire with all boxes ticked to DW and after 9 protected TF popped its first question and I quarantined and the whole test seemed to crash.

I have encuraged others to do the test with TF at maximum, but noone seems interested. If I can put this test to a halt - which I can - with TF alone it doesnt seem to tough a test to me.

I used Comodo soon after it first came out, but it slowed me down and popedup to make me crazy - so thats not for me.

I have one payed proggie and thats DW - the others are free and I feel as well protected as the next guy.

I wouldnt stick with only one developer for my protection - if one gets vulnerable the others will help out.

To the OP - since you bought PrevXEdge you must believe in it and the Edge people say that this test is of limited interest since real malware dont behave as this test does. So they are confident.

I couldnt use Edge with my others, so I went back to ThreatFire.

Best Regards

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

You know, my recommendations this case is always the same- always use the combination you feel comfortable and safe with. Even only with D+, if you sure you can operate their popups right way, can gives you a reasonable protection.

14. 3xist

3xist Guest

In CIS Firewall you can change Comodo's Configuration to Proactive Security to make sure all D+ Settings are enabled. But the default is really just fine, less pop ups and more usable without sacrificing security, Compared to CFP 3.0x...

Comodo is working on ways to improve usability in the future, It's being studied right now.

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Hi - what is your score on the CLT using "optimal" D+, the middle level? I once tried this turning keylogger and screen protection on in addition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.