Advice on Firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kathyhl, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

TAS, I did take it back a couple times, which just led me to believe it could possibly be some hardware I had hooked up to it, so I have slowly been adding the hardware back over the past week, even bought a new keyboard I don't think I really needed, but it's always nice to have a back up ;) .

So strange that you should mention the power adapter, my husband mentioned the same thing about everything being plugged into the power protector, with the exception of the box, that's plugged directly into the wall socket. It's been in the back of my mind, but I haven't done anything about it yet because I couldn't justify why only certain things I do cause the errors now. The re-install of Win98 and deletion of quite a few programs I don't use, have smoothed out the errors somewhat, but certainly haven't stopped them, and they still happen in the same areas. I click on my windows explorer icon on my desktop as I work in there a lot, and get errors, when I click on my start button, then settings, to go to control panel, I get errors, and I get errors opening or closing my e-mail client. But as I say, they certainly aren't happening as much as before. Now I just hold my breath whenever I do one of the three things above (for real, I've caught myself !) and wait to see what happens.

Bottom line though is sometimes we never know why a PC does what it does or why, so tomorrow all my leads get unplugged and moved to a brand new multiple power point adapter :D

Thanks so much for your advice. How awesome would that be if all my errors were to just up and quit after this :eek: :D

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If there are bugs in the PC, then the computer would run poorly at the shop and at home.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, Kathy im not an expert, but thankfully i spend enough time here to pick up afew things. this post is concerning if you may have a trojan-malware
    you can download this It detects more than 74000 viruses as well as hidden spy software, illegal dialers, illegal sniffers, keyloggers and other things that may be of concern :eek: and i checked and you can use it on windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP when its downloaded double-click it, wait afew seconds, then as well as all the boxes already checked, i always check the drive box too, dont know if thats the right thing to do , its just what i do. also if you can disable your anti-virus while you're doing it all the better, remembering to reenable it afterward

also you can do an online trojan scan at http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
    just click on scan my computer for trojans

4. Kathyhl

That's pretty much what I thought Nod32_9, so I still leaned a little to that side, but not much.
    Iceni60, I am going to be downloading that and running it in a few days, but first I need to check to see how my PC is working.

CHECK THIS OUT EVERYONE! I decided to do a thorough Avast Scan, which I hadn't done yet, and darned if it didn't find three virus. One was Win32: Kuang 2, and the others were both Win95: Matyas. Kuang was fixed, but I could only quarenteen the last two. I turned off the PC for a few minutes, turned it back on, had a black out problem, so re-started it, went to the areas that sometimes give me errors and got none. That doesn't mean much at this time, as the errors are now coming randomly, but these three virii couldn't be found by Trend Micro, or Norton, which I had for quite some time, so I'm pretty impressed they were found. I looked them up and this is what they say:

It is a primitive nonmemory resident parasitic virus. It searches PE EXE files in the current directory, then writes itself to the end of the file. While spreading the virus uses direct calls to Windows kernel by using hardcoded addresses. These addresses are valid only to Win98 standard edition. As a result the virus is not able to spread under other Win32 versions, being run under non-Win98 the virus causes standard "error in application" message.

The virus does not manifest itself in any way. It contains the text string:

Mátyás Corvinus kezdett...

I'm most definitely still going to be switching out my leads tomorrow, but thought this might be of interest to not only me.

Thanks Everyone!! :)

5. mandy821

mandy821 Registered Member

Hi! ;)

Ironically, I have been using the same strip box connector for 14 years, migrating from 386 boxes to the current XP box and have never had one iota of a problem with it. It even has a soldering iron burn on the front face; it didn't work worth a darn for a stand for the hot gun.

It sets right on the floor in all the dust bunnys and still works everyday. If you are getting weird errors at home, I would recommend that you see where your cables lay against each other and make sure none of them are near your speakers as the magnets in the speakers will place all sorts of erroneous data errors on your system. One of my monitors went up in smoke and I am using an older AOC Spectrum that does not have the better EMI/RFI shielding that newer ones have and when I turn up the stereo, the computer gets lub lines on the face........Just to show you that EMI/RFI radiation can be a problem sometimes. Computers by and large shed(isolate) most interference, but getting certain products too close can cause weird problems.

Make sure you don't have any CB or HAM radio transmitters in close proximity as those will drive a computer CRAZY!

Even an old calculator has all sorts of RFI (radio frequency interference) coming out of it when turned on; we used to use cheap walmart calculators to test car radio antennas for quality by running the calculator close to the antenna with the car radio receiver on and listened for a squealing sound.

I am still using Norton System Works 2002 on this XP box and just re-activate the Virus portion of the software once a year. I thought I had a problem with it, but it turned out to be in the registry.....and yes, I used WinDoctor to cure the registry problems......

I used to own the Pro version of the firewall software you use, but dumped it because it was just to "fragile" and unstable!

I am still using a three year old copy of Tiny Software Firewall and not only is it easy to maintain, but has an affinity for total cooperation with other Windows based softare.

Sincerely,

Mandy821

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Kathy

Good to see that you found some virusses (and removed them ;) :) ), since you found these there could be more, and it would in IMHO be good to do two things, first i would use some of the online-scanners they are effective and easy, there is links in my signature, use Panda, Housecall and F-Secure, the will ask you to download a component, after this just follow the instructions it will probably take 10-15 minutes pr scanner.

Next i think it would be a goo idea to download and install a trial of TDS-3 (trojan-scanner) from DiamondCS, they have their own forums right here on Wilders Security Forums, and they are very helpfull.You can download from Here , it is important that you update the signaturefiles (radius) Here , remember to check everything under "scancontrol" and "configuration",use "full system scan" found under "system testing" in controlpanel. It's a very slow (but thorough) scanner so be patient (probably 25+ minutes). Good luck Kathy. :)

BTW. I have a colleague who would always tease me with my computer-safety paranoia, until one evening she called (unfortunately not for a date ;) ) , her computer was acting weird, i told her to do pretty much the same things as i have suggested to you, she found 250+(a record perhaps?)virusses, trojans and other stuff. She has never teased me since that day. ;) :D

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Some W98 Hewlett Pack PCs have random lock-up/fault issues. What is the model number of this PC? You may also have a bad stick of RAM, which can often result in random errors.

If I was in your shoes/heels, then I would reformat the hard drive using the fdisk/mbr command, and reload W98SE (connect only the mouse and keyboard to the PC). Go to MSCONFIG\STARTUP tab and remove all check marks (to maximize system resources and RAM during PC boot...cause you only have 128MB). Next step is to install ZA 2.6 and Avast Home.

Now hook up the modem (avoid USB). Do not attach any other devices to the PC. Do not install any other software/hardware. Do not set up your email account, yet. Use the PC for a few days. Write down ALL the error codes and warnings.

ZA2.6 and Avast Home 4.1 are 100% compatible with W98. If you cannot achieve a stable platform with this configuration, then the cause may be you, the RAM module, the power supply, the modem, the hard drive, and/or the motherboard (listed in order of decreasing probability). Add one program or hardware if the PC is stable. Retest system for a few days.

Don't click on unsolicited emails or surf the dark side of the internet!

8. Kathyhl

Nod, model # SE 4.10.2222A - is that what you're looking for? I don't have the disc to this Windows Version as when I had it made for me, the tech "forgot" to give it to me, and I was heading to L.A. for surgery, so I never even thought about it until a few years later. After I got the PC home after this reinstall, I hooked up nothing except the mouse, no errors, then keyboard, 1 error, bought new keyboard, still had random errors, and now after hooking up the speakers, printer, scanner and external back-up, still have random errors, but fewer. I was suppose to switch out all the leads today, but haven't done it yet, and that is the next thing I want to do. I have Avast Home 4.1, it's great, but still have a couple weeks on my Z/A pro, so if the errors don't stop altogether, I have already D/L ZA2.6, and will install it then. I also don't open e-mail If I don't know who it's from, and even though I have accidently found myself in a site I didn't expect, that doesn't usually happen much at all. (but you'd be surprised what sites you get just looking for PSP tubes. I put in Fairy tubes once and couldn't get out of the site it took me to fast enough :eek: )

Thanks Don, I am glad Avast was able to find something nothing else did. Btw, I do use Housecall, and I had it check my entire PC yesterday morning, but it said I was clean, so maybe what Avast found wouldn't really have harmed me anyway, I don't know. I also did buy TDS-3, and was pretty excited because of everything I wanted to do with it, unfortunately some things just don't work for some people. I used it for quite some time, and all the people I talked to about it were great, and I know it's probably an awesome program, but for some reason it was one of the programs that caused me some problems before my reinstall, so I no longer have it. (I got rid of quite a few of my programs after the reinstall) I'm with you on computer saftey, I don't think we can ever have enough, but I'm beginning to think that some of my problems before the reinstall were compatibility based, especially since I'm still running with Win98. There are things I read about and want to try, but when I get to the site, it's not compatible with Win98. I knew this was going to happen, just didn't want to think about it. I can't expect technology to continue with leaps and bounds, and still have it work when I'm not changing with the technology.
    Thanks for your post mandy821, I will most definitely check on some things you have said, but enough people now have told me about my power adapter that I'm really anxious to get that changed. I'm really not that close to anything that you have mentioned, however, the closest thing to me is my microwave, which is maybe 5 feet behind me.

After the reinstall, getting rid of programs, and doing so much that people have mentioned here, I am so happy to have my errors down to a bare minimum. I really doubt I would have gotten this far at all if it weren't for this Wilders Forum and all the kind hearted people here willing to work with so many novices like me.

Thank you all so much for your time and patience. If everyone was as nice as the people in here, I probably wouldn't be retired yet ;)

Kathy :)

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

Good Golly......this thread has turned into a real whopper....nice to see so many coming to your aid Kathy.

Kathy you are speeding down a deadend street......an you are presented with a choice.....you can continue down that deadend street an get nowhere......or, you can turn around and begin over at the beginning.
    Kathy deadend streets are places to turn around on......an not to stagnate on.

Under normal circumstances the advice you are receiving would be great stuff....however, your's is not a normal situation......an frankly your actions and lack of actions is making your situation worse. FE: why on earth pay for extra time to use a program that simply does not work properly...not for you or anyone......Kathy thats kind of silly.......
    Your computer has problems.....installing even more programs on a corrupt system will most likely add more problems.....thats like filling the gas tank on a car that has no engine.....you go nowhere........yes, you need certain programs.......one at a time.........nothing I see you doing will repair your computer....nothing at all. Your way just isn't working Kathy....time for a change..............NOD offered good advice....others did as well.......now Kathy its on you to follow the advice........an stop wasting your time
    Already this thread is way off course.....not intentionally...........it began as a firewall question.........an yet you stubbornly kept the same firewall knowing it does not work properly.......sorry Kathy but thats just not using good common sense..........
    After being recently flamed by a couple of real losers imo....I am reluctant to offer anyone here any computer advice at anytime now or the future........so as not to disrupt the forum........so this thread was more than I intended............nevertheless you are a nice person an deserve help........that will be left to the forum to give.........all I am saying is: Stick to repairing your computer......stay focused on THAT problem!!!
    Perhaps NOD will understand this........your computer has repair programs build in Kathy.....but you don't appear to have used them.....now its up to others to explain how that is done............
    What are you doing using REGCLEANER.......Kathy you don't have the experience to properly use a program as powerful as regcleaner....no offense.
    My suggestion is simple......take one step at a time.....just as you were advised by NOD an others........an take those steps now not at the end of the year.......
    This is posted with your best interest in mind Kathy......there is no desire in my heart to offend you........hopefully you know this.

Perhaps someone could explain to Kathy how to drop into safe mode and so a scandisc.
    Perhaps someone could explain to Kathy how to have her computer look for corrupt files......

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Most Hewlett Packards with W98 will have a 4 digit number (ex. 6630 or 8670) followed by a letter like C for US, and A for Asia/Pacific. You need to post the mfr AND this 4 digit number (commonly located at the front or back label of the PC).

All HP PCs come with custom recovery CDs that will restore the PC to factory condition. If the tech created a W98 recovery CD for you, then you may not have the most appropriate drivers installed in the computer. This can result in errors.

The best advice is still to reformat the hard drive and reload Windows. You've probably reloaded many programs since, and W98 can leave a lot junks in the hard drive after an uninstall. A clean start will eliminate many unknown variables, allowing you to zero in on the most appropriate solution. I doubt that removing/reloading various programs will fix your problems. Make sure you follow the steps outlined in my last post.

The fact that you were okay with just the mouse tells me that you may have corrupted Windows. Just write down everything you see on the back label affixed to the PC and we should be able to decipher the model number.

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NOD

If she does not have her re-store disc........her computer should have <setup.exe> unless the Tech removed it.......but she will need the correct number......
    Nice of you to give of your time helping Kathy.......wishing you well NOD.......got to get myself out of here now.......things to do.

Regards

12. Kathyhl

well goodness TheSnowGuy, I actually did think I was making just a little headway, but I'm far from having the experience you have, so I know you are probably right on all accounts. I think I'm just looking at the fact that I could hardly even use the PC before I had Win98 reinstalled and unloaded programs that always went down when I had the errors, and now the errors I'm getting are quite a bit fewer and a little further between, albeit still there. And btw, I took no offense at anything you said, constructive critisism can move even the most stubborn and uneducated, and I'm the first to admit I'm not that knowledgeable in all the workings of a computer. I've learned quite a bit over the years I've had one, but only recently since I've had the time now, have I actually started to try and understand why and how some things work.

NOD, I'm sorry, I cannot find any numbers on my PC anywhere, no labels. This originally started out as a Packard Bell Win95, years ago, I then took it in 4 years ago to upgrade, got a tower, and the tech turned my C: drive into what's now my D: drive, with a brand new Win98 on the C:. It ran great up until a little over 6 months or so ago when I started getting errors. The errors got worse, and as TheSnowGuy has realized, I probably used programs I downloaded to try to fix the errors without having the knowledge enough to use some of the programs, thus only making it worse. I will be uninstalling Z/A 5 and installing Z/A 2.6.

The only disc I do have for this PC is the recovery disc, and it's only labeled Win98 SE, therefore I can't reload Win98 again, and frankly, if I have to pay the tech again, I might be better off just going out and buying an XP and actually start keeping up with the technology that's coming out now. I had already externally backed up the programs I wanted to keep that I didn't have on discs before I initially took in the PC, so in fact I am ready in that area.

When I took the PC in I mentioned to the tech that another tech told me it sounded like corrupted windows, which actually was the case.
    The tech reinstalled 98 knowing the corruption problem existed, it then worked flawlessly there, but still receiving a few errors here. I've copied and pasted everything you said, and when my husband gets home from work, I'm going to go over everything with him.

Thank you so much for all your help and the time you have spent explaining things to me. A light may not always come on the second I read something I'm not all that familiar with, but just keeping what you have written, and me going back on it and asking other questions, helps me more than you know.

Have a great evening

:)

13. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

KATHY

rest assured that under no circumstances would I knowingly offend you....an was most grateful that you understood this. Yes I much admire your courage to attempt repairs yourself.......an yes you can do many repairs if you remained focused......I have full faith in your ability.
    From jump street it appears that a bad job was done by the tech....an you have suffered since . Everything you need to re-format your computer is right there...but un-fortunately you don't know where or how to locate it....(most people don't Kathy)....
    My concern is you being misled to install programs that can't and never will resolve your computer problems.....but instead make matters worse.....also, its pointless to waste your money on a tech if nothing is actually being done to improve the situation........you are being caught up in a circle.....which is why I was so blunt Kathy. Frankly I doubt that you need a new computer just yet......
    I will try coming back to this post again......in the mean time....go to system information.......problem devices....see what it says.....
    do a complete scandisc..use the proper setting.......definitely you need to have your system check itself for corrupt files..........an ask for someone to explain how to do this......this alone may resolve some issues.
    Kathy you are doing real good.....you just need for someone here to step up to the plate and help you.........
    Do the scandisc in safemode..its stronger in that mode....will also re-suggest that you install MAXMEM.....it will help out to some extent in regards to the memory issue..........
    Kathy I'll drop by again

14. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

GO TO:

programs, accessories....system tools....system information...components....problem devices............

see what if anything is listed there.......if anything listed report it here......(nothing should be listed in Problem Devices)

15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Ahhh, a bastard Pack Bell. It probably started out as a 100-200MHz PC with 32MB SIMM. In theory, it is possible to upgrade the PC. Hobbyists do it all the time. The problem is that you must spend quite a bit of time and $ to do it right. And you may still face compatibility issues in the future. In the end, it's always better and CHEAPER to buy a new PC if more RAMs and a bigger hard drive don't satisfy your needs. Most clowns at the PC shop won't tell you this cause they want your $.

The tech could install inferior hardware. Plus some vintage 95 components may not function properly with W9.x/WNT. Your PC is probably worth less than $30. And you cannot fix these problems on your own. There are too many unknown variables in this bastard to work with. Time to move on. You could purchase a used PC (800 to 1000MHz range) on Ebay for about $150. And it may come preloaded with a clean copy of W2000 or WXP.

Another option is to purchase a new PC for $400. I'd recommend a cheap Emachine without monitor. This is a good choice if you don't plan to edit video and play games in the next few years.

16. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

KATHY SAID:

***The only disc I do have for this PC is the recovery disc, and it's only labeled Win98 SE, *****

Kathy have you tryed the win98se disco_O?? If not..you should. An if the computer accepts win98se.....then perhaps some "free up-grading" can be done right on the internet. Since you have not posted since yesterday I am wondering if you have given up........or lost interest. Until that is known...no point in my continuing....this is really draging out......so perhaps its best that others help you now......an I will just continue to wish you the very best...........

Sincerely

17. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NOD32

just thought to tell you that I respect your efforts to help Kathy....an will be wishing you much success. Due to the amount of time this has already consumed and will continue to do....its just not any longer advisable for me to continue posting......perhaps you can help Kathy eventually.....or some others may decide to jump in..........good luck to all.....seeya

18. Kathyhl

Hi, I have read all the posts and want to thank everyone so much for helping me. I have copied and pasted so much from here into a folder I created for pc information. I had a few free days to be able to do as much as I could from what everyone said here, and turned on the pc a few hours ago to start checking some things, however, I've just found out that I need to head out of town tomorrow morning and won't be back for a few days, and I didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring them, so I did want to take a few minutes to write this. TheSnowGuy, I would never intentionally ignore you or anyone else, and btw, I did go into the area you told me and it said "There are no devices with problems on this machine". I then copied what came up first, which was this:
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IZ /II /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 0:02:04:45
    Normal mode
    On "KATHY" as ""

AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    128MB RAM
    69% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11030MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 11030MB of 14638MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 13922MB of 14638MB (FAT32)

Doesn't really tell you much, unless there's something with the upgrade that is of interest.

I still am having only a few random errors, NOTHING like what I had before the Win reinstall, deletion of programs, and actually doing a couple things people have mentioned in here. I know that's not 100%, but you can't imagine how good it makes me feel

Thank you all so much, I'm not done doing things I have copied down from here, but unfortunately for the next few days I will be out of town. Also, I will not be using programs I don't fully understand :rolleyes: I will try and come back in here before I leave, but if I don't,

You all have a great week and weekend! :)

19. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

Have a very safe and happy trip.....wear a smile and say hello to all you know.

An nope....I wasn't thinking that you were ignorring me........was more thinking that your problems should have been fixed days ago...an wondering why more advice isn't being posted relating to your corrupt system......
    its a very good sign that there are no problem devices......if fact, your puter may possibly last some time yet......if you decide to keep it.........its on the small side...but so what.....if it does the job.....thats enough.........of course NOD is correct on the prices he posted on used computers.....even new computers are fairly cheap..........personally I prefer older computers for now.

when you return from your trip.....IF I am still around.....the topic can be picked up where you left off...........an Kathy don't kick yourself.....many things you are not suppose to know......an alot of people try programs that they should never try.......an many ruin their computers needlessly........the size and age of your computer means it needs some TLC......using programs made for that generation of computers is wiser than installing programs not ment for older, slower computers...........

tsg

20. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Kathy

There is a very good chance that I wont be around when you return.......an although I have no desire or intention of helping anyone repair a computer problem.....in your case....for oldtyme sake....will make this minor effort: Follow instructions to a "T"

1) download a WINDOWS ME bootdisk from here:
    http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe

after doing so make a winME floppy boot disc (winME boot disc works on win9:cool: ....ok, now shut down your computer.......
    1) re-start your computer using the winME start-up disc

2) use the arrow key on you keyboard to select:
    "start computer without cd rom support" and then press "ENTER"

3) at the "prompt" type "SCANREG/FIX" ...an then press "ENTER"

4) after the "scanreg" is complete: re-start your computer

** the registry scan utility finds and removes corrupt registry entries and system files. Those files are then replaced with a working copy of the file or files. (note: I do not promise that the "scanreg/fix" command will work on your computer....yours is an older computer) but if it does not work try this next:

follow instructions 1 & 2......at "3" type "scandisk" an allow a scan

ok Kathy, having done the above...now download ..
    Spider v1.16 from:

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/index.html

*spider is for computers like yours...use it to clean...simply un-zip the download then open the folder thats now on your desktop...an run spider....no install.....to remove simply delete the folder. (running spider will cause your computer to re-boot.....nothing to be concerned about...normal behavior to delete index dat file

* Now go to windows explorer...open it an go to c:/programs.......open that...then find and delete every folder that has the name of a program that YOU KNOW YOU HAVE REMOVED/UN_INSTALLED from your computer/ if you do not understand...don't do this....

Kathy..don't over heat the CPU...allow it to cool during the above steps......

in your last post it showed that you had 69% resourses free....it would be better for your pc if it were 80% free.....Kathy you eith have to much in start-up..or running...or you are using resourse hogs......so now download and install this:

MAXMEM
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

For the moment this will do....an yes Kathy, I suggested the winME boot disc for a particular reason....however, I wont go into details...much to tiring and boring............

SeeYa,, whenever

21. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NOTE:

The instructions given to Kathy are for her computer and not intended for newer computers.....nor are the programs

22. Kathyhl

Thank you TheSnowGuy, you've really gone way out of your way to help me, and as you said in an earlier post, this did just start out as being a firewall question, as that is where I had originially wanted to start. And to that end, some very nice helpful people in here directed me to Z/A 2.6, which is now on my pc. Maybe I should have started a new post in a more appropriate area when I started getting into other things, that was my fault, I didn't. But thank you for all your help.

I want to thank everyone that had input and the patience to continue to help me. NOD, you had some great advice, some that made me smile quite a few times, ie;
    "Ahhh, a bastard Pack Bell", so you probably know the few problems I encountered trying to buy parts and finding only Pack Bell could help me, talk about having a corner on the market!

What a great place this is, you people in Wilders here are pretty awesome ;)

Everyone have a great week and weekend :D

Kathy

23. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Some folks are really attached to their old PCs and will spend an unreasonable amount of $ to keep it going. I see a PC as a tool, not a pet. You're NOT going to achieve a stable PC platform with the Pack Bell. Logic dictates a new PC. Time is $. The fact that you cannot reload windows on your own tells me that you're not capable of repairing windows. And taking the PC to a shop will cost more $ than the PC is worth.

I also don't have a good vibe when it comes to those techs. Why install a second hard drives when you have so much free space in the first one? Again, this is NOT a power PC. The use of a hard drive partitioning tool would be more cost efficient.

A modern PC comes with recovery CDs. Reboot with disc 1 and it will restore your PC to factory condition. This is a great tool for novice users. No need to spend more $ for someone to reload windows for you.

Time to cut your losses and move on.

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Nod_32 9,
    My PCs are more like pets to me then tools. I never even thought about it that way. Hmmmm. I do not have any pets (live ones) but you are correct in what you are saying. I agree with you. After all even pets die or have to be put down. It's just the way it is. ;)

25. fannymites

fannymites Guest

I know I'm a bit late in the day here but I just wanted to clear up this area of confusion. Avast can be set to automatically scan your emails and in the case of some email programs it will even set it up automatically, this is what happened with your email. It changes your your email settings so it can scan them and (if you want it too) place a message at the end of emails to let recipients know it is virus free.
    You should go to the start menu, select avast! then email wizard to re-setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.