AdShield

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by spy1, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi :D

My wish list (at the moment) for the next version of AdShield:

1) OPERA/NETSCAPE, myIE compatible

2) Auto-update search feature for new version of AdShield and its block list

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Further info from Doug Lee (AdShields' developer):

"Hi Pete,

I just wanted to let you know that Mike Burgess's site is back online and has been moved to http://mywebpages.comcast.net/winhelp2002/hosts.htm.  The links to his block list are in the middle of the page.

Also forgot to mention a couple of things that may be of interest to security buffs.  The program does NOT modify the windows hosts file or IE’s security zones/settings.  In fact it doesn’t modify any IE settings but I recommend turning off the display of script messages because poorly coded ad scripts often generate errors when they try to manipulate suppressed pop ups.  Thanks again for all your help.

All the best,

Doug"

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Strange - I could have sworn Canada was skilled in the diplomatic arts...   :oops:

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Ah Checkout mon frere! No offense to you (well not too much any way) but your rather large signature does get a tad tiring to behold after an extended period of time. Perhaps scaling the dimensions down to something a little less 'bold' might serve to ease this unfortunate occurance.

I see this has already been done!

Mon Dieu! Vous êtes si futé Checkout vieux copain!

au revoir.

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Yesterday, nothing better to do, I trawled the Net looking for utilities, and discovered a small program called WinXp TpI - Telepathic Interface.  Thus, able to see your miserable whingeing coming in advance, I rendered my sig down to the level where it wouldn't absolutely ruin your web experience here anymore.

Unfortunately, I had to uninstall it.  It was written by a small partnership called Gibson & Greene, and in the end, the software wasn't even compatible with itself.

Hey! Less of the vieux if you don't mind!

6. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

@WE Sim:
    for Opera and Netscape, I use WebWasher from http://www.webwasher.com/en/products/wwash/download.htm

It works as a local proxy, so it works with any browser. Filters adds by size, url, popups or scripts. Also removes referrers and has a cookie filter. It adds itself to the context menues of ie and netscape, where you can add an url to the filter list.

7. SpyBlocker

SpyBlocker Registered Member

Adsheild is neat but offers no real security.  It's unable to block the privacy invading stuff you don't normally see like cookies and scripts.  And furthormore, it's blocking technique is questionable at best.  The program mainly relies on the user to add to the blank adshield block list.  Which means you've already downloaded the advertisement and it's already collected information from you.  I would use this product only in combination with some real security software.

Try and block this with adsheild:
    www.zdnet.com/prism/7/SSEL=2000000&SSCH=1&SSNS=2000000&SSPR=&SSTP=&SSTO=&SSCN=&SSCAT=&SSSRC=

NOTE: This will go to a page not found due to it's loading outside it's parent html.

edit: url tags implied in the url mentioned above in order to make it work - Forum Admin.

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

still great for ditching pictures I don't want to see next time I go to a site no matter how you look at it.

9. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Yes i find AdShield is a great complement to SPYBLOCKER in that regards.

10. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!  :(

Just found out that the block list for AdShield is no longer available at UIUC. Anyone knows any reason?

If this is true, could wilders.org host it?

Thanks

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

From the link above. Pete

12. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

I use and support this program, As pointed out by Spyblocker, it's not considered a security program, But for banners, I think it does a great job. I wont use the pre made list, which seems great, I like to add my own, some ads I like to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.