Adobe Reader vs Win 8 Reader security-wise

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vincenzo, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I've been using the Windows 8 pdf Reader app instead of installing Adobe Reader. While Adobe Reader gets updated fairly frequently, it seems like there has only been one update to the Windows 8 Reader app. Does anyone know if Reader is vulnerable to the exploits that keep dogging Adobe Reader? Or do exploits need to be written specifically targeting Win 8 Reader? I've not read anything that indicates people have been targeting it yet.

Thanks

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

No the Windows 8 reader app is not vulnerable to those exploits, furthermore it is sandboxed using AppContainer.

Adobe reader has a lot more features than the Windows 8 reader, but a lot of those features are debatably useless to a majority of people. I'd recommend sticking with the Windows reader unless there is a feature you're missing.

Of note is that there's also an "Adobe Reader Touch" app for Windows 8, I have not personally tried it.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

OK thanks. I've just done some reading on AppContainer, that seems like a real improvement, if it works as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.