Adobe Reader 9 Now Available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lucas1985, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I have both PDF-Xchange viewer and Adobe 8.12 installed. I always
    use PDF-Xchange but sometimes I am forced to use Adobe Reader.
    For example when doing efiling for tax returns, the site requires
    Adobe for filling out the form fields in the return. It simply won't
    work with PDF-Xchange (free).

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Over the weekend, Iposted queries at the web sites of a few PDF software vendors.

I got 2 responses, so far, today.
    In both cases I could not reply to the email without supplying a password to their mail server. That's nonesense! Other things being equal, I'll not dealing with a company that handles pre-sales questions in such a manner.

Worse yet:

1. The individual responding from docudesk (deskPDF) did not even address my questions. He sent an apparently canned message that did not address my questions. Wonder if he even read the message.

2. The individual from docu-track (PDF-XChange) neglected to answer all my questions.

Such poor pre-salessupport is not a good sign.

3. Howard Kaikow

Like Wow!!

I uninstalled MyHPGames.
    I had to reboot to ge trid of the desktop icon.

I did not know what was Sims Family Life (so I started the prog).
    It froze the notebook. I did a shut down, restart, notebook was still frozen.
    Had to use Task Manager to kill the process.

Why would HP include a GAME that does not work!!!!!o_O
    According to uninstall programs, the critter used 2.5GB in disk.
    And, according to Task Manager, the frozen prog was using 133MB!!
    Now that's a load of crapware!

DEfinitely want to ge trid of all the crapware in the Online SErvices direcory, whixch includes the ebay and MSN crap.

I'll take a look at the NotebookREview forum.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That's so funny, i got no words!

On topic, anyone tried xpdf? I would suggest Evince too, but it doesn't have a Windows port.
    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

They have a user forum that has always worked well for me. You have to register to be able to view it though...
    http://www.docu-track.com/forum3/

6. Howard Kaikow

Ayup, but if I cannot get a proper answer frem pre-sales, that's not good.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If you are reasonably conversant in Windows and REGEDIT I will respond to a PM if you have questions.

8. RAD

RAD Registered Member

On the advice given here, I dumped Adobloat and downloaded and installed FOXIT.
    God ! I can't believe the speed and simplicity of foxit compared to the behemoth dynosaur it replaces ! It seems to work perfectly in every aspect. Thanks !

9. AKAJohnDoe

I printed a PDF with PDF-XChange today and it printed correctly. :)

10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I can get PDF XChange to print correctly as well.

The issue I've been experiencing is that the paper size comes up as a size different than letter by default. Consequently, when I click the print icon, I can't just click "OK" the way I can with Foxit and could with Reader.

If I do that with PDF XChange, the document will print but the margins are screwed up; I have to click the printer icon, then click the printer properties button, and *then* click "OK". After that, the paper size (mysteriously) changes to "Letter" and the doc prints correctly.

I have no idea why the s/w is not picking up the correct setting initially, though.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Odd... We print several PDFs daily to 2 or 3 different kinds of printers and have not experienced anything like that. What brand/model of printer are you using?

12. prius04

I actually have two printers connected to the PC on which I am experiencing this issue. They're both Brother machines; one is an HL-5140 and the other is a MFC-7820N......latest firmware and drivers installed.

The odd thing is this issue doesn't appear to affect one of my other PCs that has an HP printer connected. Also, as I wrote earlier, I'm not experiencing this issue at all with other readers, like Adobe and Foxit. o_O

13. AKAJohnDoe

I did not have a printer connected when I spooled the PDF, but when I plugged a USB HP DeskJet in the document printed correctly.

14. prius04

Well, my problem seems to be limited to PDF XChange and printing with either one of my Brother printers. When I tried connecting two different USB HP Deskjets, the docs printed correctly....ditto WRT an HP Laserjet I connected later.

All of the docs print correctly when I use any other of the free PDF readers, though, and the docs even print correctly with my Brother printers AFTER I go through the 'printer properties routine'. Not a major deal but having to go through the extra mouse clicks is somewhat annoying.

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Almost sounds like a printer driver issue but truthfully, I have no idea. We print from PDF-XChange to network printers and attached printers. HPs, Epsons and Canons. Never had any issues to date...

16. Howard Kaikow

CORRECTION!!
    The password issue was caused by a recent change in my ISP's mail server.

17. prius04

Sure does.....something along those lines. But then it almost has to be the way PDF XChange is dealing with it.

For example, despite the fact that I have the paper size set to letter for my 7820N (and all other programs that have the ability to print recognize that setting), when I click the print icon in PDF XChange and select the 7820N, the paper size gets switched to JIS B4. Truly bizarre.

18. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I'd recommend skipping v9.0.0. It has crashed on too many pdf files. I've gone back to v8.1.2.

19. AKAJohnDoe

Interesting.

As I just uninstalled 8.1.12 and installed the scaled back version of 9 on 9/12/2008. Granted, I do not open a lot of PDF files, but have had no problems (yet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.