Adobe PDF upgrade free?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My son-in-law has Adobe Acrobat 5.0 on his computer. Neither of us can find a free upgrade of Adobe to V7.0. Is there such a site?
    If not is there a good free replacement PDF reader that works without a lot of problems in recognition?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. hadi

hadi Guest

3. sdfdg

sdfdg Guest

adobes installs junks ands displays ads, foxit (ive never tried) will it load pdfs in firefox?

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Can't answer that, never tried it, but if you want to use Acrobat Reader without all the plug-ins, junk, why not try Acrobat Reader SpeedUp....

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

Nifty little proggy which enables you to stop the vast majority of plug-ins from loading, etc. and yet retains the functionality of using it to read PDF files.

I've used it in the past, but I have the actual Adobe Acrobat program itself [not just the reader] with Distiller, etc. so I very rarely use Reader these days.

Mine is an old version 1.5, [new one 1.34] but it's still enabled and if I do open Reader, it opens in a few seconds, not like 20-40 it used to take sometimes.

See pic, notice the unchecked plugins which *don't* load, just those alone saving over 3500kb of loadup.

TAS

edit... hmm.. pic won't load.. will keep trying...

5. dog

dog Guest

In windows I perfer Foxit myself :) I can't answer the question about open PDFs from within FF with Foxit as I normally just DL the PDFs and view them later, But I assume if you change the actions in FF, it should load/start Foxit with the targeted PDF.

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

pic of ar speed up... would not load for some reason in original post.

Attached Files:

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. Evidently one can get the upgrade free, so I think he is "out of the woods."

Jerry

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

foxit wont load pdfs within firefox but it can be opened directly (first saved to a temp dir).
    http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2593/foxit9ws.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.