Adobe: no known malware has escaped Adobe Reader X sandbox

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I wonder how long it took them to throw ALL the Known millions of nasties at it, since day one right up to when they tested ?

I can't see them doing ALL that :p So what do we Actually believe ?

Kudos for making it better, took them looooooooong enough though :D

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's been this way for a while now. I believe they have a legitimately secure sandbox. It's definitely good enough for dealing with legacy malware.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Now if they can do this with the rest of their products I would be very pleased. As would everyone, I assume.

5. Hungry Man

Chrome can do it with Flash so I don't know why other browsers can't or why Adobe can't make it secure by default.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, for one thing, no other browser has the kind of sandbox Chrome does. For another, I'm not sure how Adobe could sandbox their plugin or Active-X control themselves and have it work. Other security enhancements are very welcome, but I think the sandbox idea, for Flash at least, can't be done.

7. Hungry Man

But Chrome does run it as a sandboxed process.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*Sigh* I continually forget that Flash itself is simply a player, and Flash files are nothing more than a format. So, you're probably right, they might possibly be able to have the player sandbox files. If so, that could be a tremendous security boost. Thinking about that, if it is actually correct, one wonders why they haven't done that yet.

9. Hungry Man

I honestly don't know. I guess because it would be incompatible with other browsers? Or it would take some tweaking?

Google does it though... and NPAPI is already in every browser.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Does Google simply force Flash to run in Chrome's sandbox, or does Google have it's own lab-tweaked Flash? If it's simply Flash inside another sandbox, like you and I would do with Sandboxie (albeit on a much more technical level perhaps), then we can still question if Adobe can sandbox files themselves, and, if so, why they haven't. If Google has it's own Flash "fork", I guess you'd call it, then it makes a bit more sense and gives Chrome a heck of a leg up.

11. Hungry Man

I believe Google modifies it but I may just be confused.

Not sure.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Google is your friend. :)

13. Hungry Man

All I know is this:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum...38&fid=0ceb35c556df52380004aa2c07a8fb0f&hl=en

Which naturally leads me to believe that they tweak it.

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not really, flash in IE runs within protected mode since IE7, so you can't say that Chrome's version is the only "customized" version. Obviously protected mode has been improved since then though.

Also, Adobe had help from Microsoft and their expertise with protected mode when designing v10.

15. Hungry Man

Has protected mode improved? I thought that it was just running at LowIL. I'm not saying Google is the only one to tweak it, just that they have seemingly changed something.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes it has improved in IE8 and IE9, along with many other factors relating to security, like ActiveX, etc. In IE10 it goes further by using the new sandboxing functions of Win8 (for the Metro version), beta/RC/release will reveal more about the desktop version ofcourse. It's quite possible possible we see a situation with Win8 that every app (such as reader) starts opting in to using the new sandboxing functions. Perhaps even plugins such as flash? Who knows.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.