Adobe gave Microsoft flash source code?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/0...ernet-explorer-10-will-ship-with-adobe-flash/

Seems like a last ditch effort to save the flash platform for another few years.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What choice is there really? While some will cry foul about efforts to save Flash, the ugly truth is that the web as a whole isn't ready for anything else. I didn't read the whole thing very thoroughly, but hopefully what we have here is an attempt to not only kill the need to download the plugin, but perhaps to sandbox it too?

I actually like the idea myself. Again, you might as well, as Flash isn't going anywhere until website designers say it will.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

As far as I can tell the actual code will be integrated with IE, not just an addon, as addons will still be banned. I guess they have the potential to re-write large quantities of it to make it more efficient and secure, here's hoping for a good old on/off toggle switch though. ^^

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I hope they do a good job of it, IE needs to go forward, not backwards as far as security goes. You bring up a good point about being able to switch it off. Maybe they'll do it like they did with Active X in IE 9, or maybe they'll have their own "Click to Play". I don't think (haven't fired up IE in a while) that the TPLs are configurable enough to easily block certain things, like say ABP is.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.