adobe flash problem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I use flash a lot and need it to play Facebook games.

I had been using adobe flash player on firefox up to day without any problems.Today I got an update for flash(update manager) I applied it and now can not use adobe flash player.I get the flash player is outdated and disabled for your own safety message.When I click on update (within firefox) it sends me to a page and wants me to enable canonical partner repository.I enabled it but after downloading and trying to install I get the not authenticated message.I still have the flash player installed from the ''non free''repository but it wants to remove and install flash from the canonical partner repository.I do not know what to do.Thanks in advance.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Firefox 10.0.1

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cet. are you using x64 Flash. I have LTS as well and didn't get any flash update today.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

I got an update to v. 11.1 today for the 64bit version from the Oneiric partner repo. So far no problems.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Remove the non-free flashplayer, in Synaptic. If you have canonical partner repo enabled you should see this when running update manager.

adobe flash.png

Best to uninstall those two packages from canonical shown above if you had problems, then reinstall, in Synaptic.

The latest version is 11.1.102.62

5. cet

cet Registered Member

I am using 32 bit.I clicked on update from firefox and choose adobe from there and enabled the canonical partner repo.It removed the old ones and installed the latest adobe flash and it is working now.I did not disable the ''non free''repository.I hope I get the updates.Adobe is working fine now.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The way I install Adobe flash player is in my user Firefox profile (~username/.mozilla).

First, I download the tar.gz of latest Adobe flash player from: get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ , gunzip it to a .tar file, and then extract the libflashplayeso and usr directory.

Then I rename the libflashplayer.so file to its version number, e.g. libflashplayer-11.1.102.62.so , and then move (mv command) it to ~username/.mozilla/plugins.

In the .mozilla/plugins directoy, I remove (rm) the symboic link (libflashplayer.so) to the previous release, and create a new symbolic link to the new version, and finally remove the previous version.

Afterwords, each day I save my .mozilla profile on hard drive (from my LiveUSB Envionment) so that I can restore it when I boot up the following day. The way I handle the usr directory is to install its components with an initialization script I use to restore my user environment from the previous day (i.e. it is saved in a special directoy on hard disk before the live USB environment is powered down for the day.

Note: The is a single user minimal install of the Adobe Flash Player into the Firefox user profile.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.