Admin vs Standard User Accounts in Vista

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hangetsu, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Hi all,

I posted a similar question on DSLReports, but I'm getting conflicting answers. I'm hoping I could pick a few of your brains here instead.

My understanding is that Administrator accounts in Vista operate as Standard User accounts until asked to do something with elevated privileges (like install an application). If that's the case, is there still a NEED security-wise to create a separate Standard User account and run using that (other than maybe as a best-practices sort of process)?

Note: This Vista machine is used only by me, so there's no situation where one of my kids might log on as the Admin account.

Thanks in advance!

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I´ve been asking my self that too. Up to now I´ve been using the limited account instead of a "admin" account with UAC.
    As far as I can see the only difference is that you have to enter the password in the limited account whilst in UAC you just accept or deny the prompt.
    I have changed my account type back to "admin" It got a bit tedious to enter the password all the time (I have some monitoring software that requires elevated right in order to report correctly)

Here´s a article that explains UAC a little bit more.

3. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

@Hangetsu,

if I read your posts at DSLReports and here correctly, you use a 64-Bit Vista. I think you don´t need a limited user account. The standard user account is using admin-rights per default and will be protected per UAC. Stay with this, your Live OneCare, Windows-Defender and DEP. I did set up my Ultimate64 similar and I´m happy with this.

4. Hangetsu

I would, except OneCare has a bug/feature where it is resetting certain Internet Explorer settings back to default - Leaving it insecure.

I'm trialling the Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 product right now, and its working pretty well - I may pick up a couple copies.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

SEP 11 felt a little heavy on my system. I didn't mind the longer boot up time but the overall feel was a little sluggish to me.

Here is a little present if you decide to keep it :)

Attached Files:

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

7. Hangetsu

This link was excellent, thank you - It explains UAC and its place in Vista's security perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.