Adjusting duration of session on the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Seabord, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seabord

Seabord Registered Member

I was redirected to login all of a sudden while writing a post I did a bit of research for, and got the impression that maybe the login session is limited to 15 minutes? After relogin, it was not possible to refresh/return to my writing, all work had been lost.
    Of course, it would have been better to write the post externally first, but you know how it is, you start reading on the forum, then get involved with threads and are in the medium to write you own, and you go with it...
    What is the forum session default time limit?
    Is there a way to have the login session adjusted on request?
    I would like to be able to set it to 1 hour.
    Thanks

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The session timeout is 15 minutes, as you suspected. It's a global setting because of the complexity of all the forum functions that depend upon it, as such, individual users can not change that setting. 15 minutes is used because of the size of the forum. A global 1-hour session timeout value would be far too long given our activity level.

The way you prevent session timeout from impacting you is to simply log into the forum while leaving the "Remember Me" boxed checked (that is its default), which will save your login credentials (hashed values) in a browser cookie, and that will keep you logged in even if you exceed the session timeout. Whether you are inactive for 16 minutes or an hour and 16 minutes, you'll still be logged in when you submit your post.

3. Seabord

Seabord Registered Member

Thanks, interesting.
    1- If I close the forum window without logging out, the next time I load the forum site, will I find myself already logged in because of the cookie?
    2- If I do logout, then close the forum window , the next time I load the forum site, will I find myself already logged in because of the cookie?

Also please list the forum software version? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If you do not logged out, then you will still be logged in when you return to the forum. Cookies will hold your login credentials. If you do log out, then you will be logged out regardless. Logging out removes the credentials from the cookie. This is a version 3 version of vBulletin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.