ADinf32 3.03 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, but I don't really care. Sandboxie, sandboxes anything that comes down the pipe from the internet and when the internet app is closed the sandbox is emptied. The others alert me to anything trying to run I don't know about, so knowledge of each and every change in close to 300000 files just isn't a worry for me.

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Peter2150,
    You are fully entitled to your opinion; no doubt about that.

Anyway, don't expect me to post further on this topic :blink:

3. Peter2150

I didn't mean it to sound quite that harsh, but watching for changed files, means something has already happened, if there is a change. With Sandboxie, the problem is caught before it gets to that stage, and is easily removed.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

There are situations, for example a BSOD, where you NTFS filesystem appears to be fine whereas some files have mysteriously been transformed to zero-length files. I think ADInf 32 can catch that. So it's not only for detecting unwanted changes in normal use, where you can rely on sandboxie.

5. Peter2150

Yes, but at what length of time. I beta test quite a bit of kernel level software, so BSOD's are not a stranger to me. Generally if a file is damaged it's a system file, which may render the OS unbootable. That's when FDISR comes into play, I just use it and it sets the system back right.

For the random occasional BSOD, I've never seen file damage. Confirmed by an occasional run of chkdsk.

Don't get me wrong, I used to use software similiar to this a long time a go. Just today in many cases I think it's time is past.

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

It is not of use for me in case bsod, since settings all the files in the windows back takes just around 2 minutes using a quick imaging software,though this software , can be used for purposes other than recovery(like finding changed files for making soft portable).

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree. He is getting somewhat negative & contrarian in many of his recent posts. I usually avoid those threads.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

That wasn't my intention neither, Pete.
    Let's agree to disagree, OK? :)
    You don't see a purpose for such a program and I do see a purpose. Well, that's OK, isn't it? ;)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Warning for those of you who might have already downloaded the 3.03 upgrade:

The README! text file (in ad32_303.zip) has been changed to give better instructions!

So in case you did download ad32_303.zip already, download it again and read that file!

10. Peter2150

Totally, and who knows, at some point, I may change my mind. That has happened.

Pete

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I found something and had contact with Dmitry Mostovoy about it.

More soon...

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

OK,

Files in ad32_303.zip had still version-number 3.02 (or if you like, 3.2); that is now corrected into 3.03 (or, if you like, 3.3).
    So now ADinf32 should show you now the new version number.
    I could post a screenshot showing the differences compared to the download from recently (using Karen's DirPrinter and BeyondCompare). Let me know if you want me to do that.

About that change in the README! file in ad32_303.zip :
    I cannot point you enough to the importance of that new guideline !!! Read it, please!

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It is true that AdInf only detects potential problems AFTER the fact. AFAIK, that same statement is true for any and all Integrity Checkers (IC).

Even so, an IC plus back-up tapes are MAJOR *last-chance* bulwarks for any Network Admin who wants to keep his job if the fit hits the shan.

An IC can spot stealthy stuff that gets past all other defenses. Having spotted a rift, the back-up tapes can save the day.

Of course, "professional ICs" for (say) Windows do NOT run under Windows, but under some other OS -- so that they cannot be deceived by some of the latest stealth techniques that may have taken over the Windows file system. That is, those ICs examine Windows files but use another (non-Windows) OS to do so.

On the other hand, "home-user ICs" (such as AdInf and TinyWatcher) DO run under the Windows OS. Therefore, there is a small possibility that certain stealth techniques can fool them.

Like ALL ICs, AdInf can be configured as to what it does & does not monitor. An IC that monitors ALL files would be more trouble than it's worth because the normal daily usage of a computer inevitably results in myriads of benign but essential file changes.

The particular IC that I use does a scan on my first boot-up each day. It is configured to only scan my KEY files (nothing like 300000 of them!) where any unexpected changes are potentially significant. This scan only takes a few seconds.

My other security includes SBIE, Prevx, & Avira. Even so, my IC does spot *surprises* once in a while. So far those surprises have always been benign stuff that I had (indirectly) allowed & should have expected. It's sorta like my smoke alarms -- I've never had a fire yet, but I still make sure to keep the alarm system armed & working.

In my opinion, an on-demand IC -- used together with a systematic back-up routine -- can provide a significant extra layer of protection. . . . .
    + "Useful protection" for home users
    + "Essential protection" for major networks.

14. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Finally I had the time to upgrade my ADinf32 Pro 3.02 to 3.03 on my XP Home SP3.
    And I did run a scan with it: no problems here :)

I didn't want to take any chances (it is too important for me), and I did buy a new licence.

Now about that important guideline for upgrading in the file README! in ad32_303.zip :
    I'm glad that it was recently changed because the original guideline was wrong.
    However I did it in another way.
    It says:
    The way I did it:
    I downloaded ad32_303.zip
    I unzipped it to a (temporarily, if you wish) location.
    In that location I renamed the file adinf32.exe to the name of the file in my adinf folder with that "strange" name.
    And then I copied the files of that 'temporarily' folder to my adinf folder.
    (And then I copied my new licence file to that folder).

So:
    In your adinf folder there should be NO adinf32.exe file.
    THE adinf executable file in your adinf folder is the one with that strange name!

I hope this might help a little bit.

Attached Files:

15. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Actually it also works fine if you just rename the links created with the 3.02 version (desktop and start menu ones) to point to adinf32.exe. The only thing you risk is to have adinf32 disabled by a few viruses, but I have an AV for this.

16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

For your info:

The 3.03 upgrade is now not only for Russian and English but also for German language.

The site gives now, under ADinf32 Specifications, the supported Windows versions:
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows NT
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows 2003

(I guess that the 64-bit versions are not supported ...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.