Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. avatar

2. avatar

Yep, you're right, Adguard.exe executes update in case of a manual check, not downloads it.

Ok, I've finally examined the code. The only case where adguard.exe contacts the server on its own is when you send a message to support.

I don't really see anything else, even tried to forbid the network access for Adguard.exe process and nothing came up. What's on your side?

3. guest

guest Guest

I would still say that Adguard.exe in 'no case' is responsible for executing, checking or downloading; atleast that's how it is in my system.
    Me contacting support? You really think so after what happened? Just to clarify, no I didn't use the support feature.
    Again, it looks like just me as no one else complained, so let's leave it at that. ;)

4. avatar

I might've overlooked something, it'd be easier to figure if you tell me which IP address does it try to contact.

5. guest

guest Guest

As told earlier on github, I not help with the program development anymore. Some guy here asked a question and I just said to him/her that he/she was asking the wrong question, that's all.

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Is this box checked on your system?

ScreenHunter_57 Apr. 18 12.38.jpg

7. guest

guest Guest

nope

8. guest

guest Guest

Saw your post again and just realised they need some English translators as well. Unless they are trying to rectify Armstrong's mistake :p

9. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

How many times a day do the filters get updated. It looks like it is maybe 1 or 2 times a day.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. avatar

Depends on the "filters update period" setting, you can even set it to 1 hour.

12. avatar

Two new beta versions bring a new AG Assistant and also a serious extensions module rework.

However, it brings quite a few new bugs as well:(

13. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

@guest

We already talked a bit in the 'wrong' thread about AdGuard because I saw/read your signature. For others to follow the discussion.

Yes and no, When a product changes this without your knowledge I see this very critical. You not know which fallbacks are used and if it not comes with other security in-complications, since the HTTPS filtering works right in front of your OS. Which overall means not even your Browser is affected by this.

I recommend everyone to NOT use HTTPS filter in AdGuard until they years old problems are fixed (this is not a bojkot it's more a warning/recommendation) which are visible for everyone on their GitHub repo. The problem is that for a 60 dollars product I expect such urgent things to be fixed asap and not 1+ year later. There are also wrong statements on GitHub about certain things, TLS 1.3 is already in use since Nov 2016 and not for cloudflare domains/websites. It's not a draft anymore like mentioned here.

This shows again that a product which claims to secure your PC/Smartphone also comes with great risks. The thing here is again that such stuff happened, the thing is that it needs to be fixed more faster.

Imho AdGuard needs a lot of more man-power to solve things faster.

14. Dragon1952

Is anybody going to turn off the https filter in adguard now after reading this.

15. guest

guest Guest

not at all, especially for just tls1.3 that is not offering much improvements over 1.2.
    i use adguard to block ads not securing my traffic , i have i other tools for that.

16. CHEFKOCH

When https filtering is on then every traffic goes over the AdGuard certificate (which is been installed during the setup process in case you enabled it). So it's still a risk if there are bugs, and it's not only TLS. There are other bugs which are urgent. I'm not saying it's a bad product but the filtering option should be off (for now) and the certificate uninstalled asap.

17. boredog

If you uncheck to filter HTTPS connections , why would you have to uninstall the cert?

RCC shows 3.

Attached Files:

18. CHEFKOCH

RCC only shows one. Seems you had some troubles last times. You should manually uninstall it via certmgr.msc. And re-install the cert via adguard options.

Because AdGuard is bugged .. that's the reason.

19. Dragon1952

Privacy Badger chrome extension always seems to block .... local.adguard.com ...... Is this because i am running adguard for windows at the same time....Is this a problem !!!! https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=177433.0
    Re: Question on local.adguard.com.Why tracking blocked by default by Privacy Badger?
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

Hi!

Adguard dev here, I am happy to answer your questions.

"local.adguard.com" is a placeholder domain. In fact all connections to "local.adguard.com" are handled locally on your computer.
    This domain is used to serve static content injected by Adguard (mostly CSS stylesheets for hiding ads).

flops.ru is a hosting we use, all our servers are hosted there. Also some are proxified by cloudflare.com.
    Anyways, there are no remote connections to local.adguard.com.

It would be better to unblock this domain as you need that static content for better ad blocking.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  20. boredog

Thank you:)

Still show 3 in cert.msc

Attached Files:

21. CHEFKOCH

local.adguard.com should be excluded my uBlock/uMatrix and Privacybadger. Otherwise it makes no sense to use the tools/AdGuard.

Remove all of them and re-install (if you want) via AdGuard options. If you use Thunderbird you also need to remove cert8.db.

22. guest

guest Guest

Had it turned off way before ;)
    I agree with Chef here, Adguard's HTTPS filtering is a PITA, a security nightmare.

Has there been problem before with its certificate thing? Yes, there has been.
    Is there a problem as of now? Yes, there is.
    Will there be problem in future? Based on the trend, maybe.

Ever tried to install Adguard without enabling https filtering when the initial configuration option comeup? It will still install the certificate anyway.

It is just like the AV's shady https filtering that's all over the net. At the end of the day, it is MITM.

It's not just the TLS version downgrade, uptil recently they were allowing revoked certificate sites through Adguard, although the browser in their default state would not allow them. That's why it is said above that it lowers your security even below the default provided.

The local.adguard.com in addition to script loading, also sets up cookies on your system.

Their EULA limits their liability to only 50$ that's even less than their product price. :p

23. Dragon1952

Let me know when, and if the day comes, that it is ok to turn the https filter back on again.

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Why does AdGuard constantly (every other second) write/ read to/from my HDD even when I do not have a browser openo_O What's it doin ??

During the past 24 hours it has the fourth highest cumlative I/Os on my PC. 29,000+ cumlative I/Os.

The only processes that exceed it are an online multi-player game, explorer, (the game and explorer don't exceed AdGuard by much) and Emsisoft IS service.

In the past I usually kept my PC on 24/7. Now I shut it down cuz of the constant I/Os by AdGuard -- it never stops and my HDD is constantly in use cuz of AdGuard.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  25. guest

guest Guest

what version?
    If you use desktop version maybe some feature does some background job, did enabled stealth mode ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.