Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. avatar

Yup, I'd like to thank @lupuskj for helping me to find this issue! God, I am happy that lurking here on Wilders actually helps us:) Unfortunately, we've found it just after release, we'd better test RC versions more thoroughly next time.

Release notes:
    Hotfix update for version 6.1.312.1629. The only change is fix for the bug #1569.
    • [Fixed] Adguard breaks connectivity when "Filter HTTPS connections" is disabled and Browsing security is enabled: #1569

As I recall, this is a bug of Unchecky.

Decomposing filter list into this kind of sub-groups is not very hard, really.

I mean we don't really need to decompose a filter, what we need is categorizing actual web requests using a dictionary with "Ad Network" <-> "Host name" pairs.

However, it won't be enough to implement beautiful FB comments placeholder. I am still thinking about it, how to have it in a "declarative" way instead of hard-coding specific cases.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Indeed Unchecky treats Adguard extensions as PUPs. I have logged this issue on the Unchecky bug tracker http://unchecky.userecho.com/ but the dev has not picked up on it yet.

4. guest

guest Guest

I think what you ask for is only for a small minority of people.
    What you are asking would be much closer to that acceptable ads/trackers feature of ABP.Adguard wouldn't get any money and it will be blamed as being sold to advertisers(although I get it what you are asking is opt in rather than opt out as in the case of ABP.)
    But you can do this stuff by yourself, creating your own filters. I think more advance users do that anyway.
    I think their focus should be bug fixing now and not introducing features. Bring the product to the stable level and then go on further. At the moment, it's like new features are introducing new issues coupled with the ones already pending for more than a year. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  5. paulderdash

I haven't had much joy with Adguard installs recently, the last update seemed to work after exiting VoodooShield completely, instead of the normal 'Disable / install mode' in that program. But that should be fixed with latest release of VS.
    Now I tried downloading 6.1.314.1628 because it still didn't show a new version was available, and installing over the top.
    However got 1618 errors, even after exiting VS.
    But, after first stopping the Adguard service, it worked - just in case someone else experiences the same issue.

6. avatar

@paulderdash as I understand, this is an issue of the VoodooShield program, right?

Would it be better for us to report it?

7. paulderdash

Maybe it is still an issue with VoodooShield, but it is meant to be fixed in their latest release.
    I have VS installed on my primary and secondary machine.
    On my primary machine, I had to stop the Adguard service first to prevent a 1618 error. (Previously actually exiting VS worked).
    On my secondary machine, I had no issues.
    It must be something unique to my setup(s), although others have also had intermittent issues, and no longer VS-related.
    Let's see how it goes, and if a pattern emerges.

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I just paid for and installed Adguard Premium. The Chrome Extension shows it as the unpaid version.

How do I fix this?

9. guest

guest Guest

there is nothing to fix , the version you bought doesn't add any extension, it is system wide, and is visible with the widget bottom right (see screenshot 1 )

the chrome extension is another thing (see screenshot 2) , it is free and if both are installed , the chrome extension will have the "Integration Mode" activated. Then its feature will be overridden by Adguard For Desktop, and it will be used as just a "turn on/off " button for the protection.

Attached Files:

10. guest

guest Guest

I think he is talking about the extension showing info about the desktop version(u know that settings page absolute last option)

11. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

How do you get the Extension for Chrome into the Integration Mode. I have the paid version and just installed the Chrome Extension. Their site states:

"How does Adguard extension work in integration mode with Adguard for Windows or Mac OS X?

— Extension icon color changes to blue;

— Extension doesn’t filter pages any more - now this function lays completely on desktop program;

— Extension settings are ignored; instead, desktop program’s settings are used."

Nothing shows up as Integration Mode and the Icon on Chrome and the Desktop is still green and the same as before the Full Version.

13. guest

guest Guest

it is automatic when you load a page. nothing to do.

Attached Files:

14. anon

anon Registered Member

— Extension icon color changes to blue;

Same here with Adguard paid version and Adguard AdBlocker browser extension for Edge

Attached Files:

15. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Can I ask why are you guys using bot the desktop and extension for your browser? Doesn't the main desktop app cover your browsers as well? I am confused.

" Extension doesn’t filter pages any more - now this function lays completely on desktop program;

Extension settings are ignored; instead, desktop program’s settings are used."

Attached Files:

16. anon

anon Registered Member

because=

17. VancouverBC

VancouverBC Guest

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't online here for a couple days...

I couldn't get the 1603 solved, no matter what, so I clean installed Win10 again from scratch, and then it would work.

18. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Re the Edge extension, I feel the months should be capitalised, e.g. 'Version 1.1.10.13. Updated 24 february 2017 at 09:30.'.

19. @avatar

I think I have found a bug.

When browsing to Nu.NL with the DNS filter, Spyware Filter and Peter'sLow filter enabled, I can't see videoplaza.tv being blocked in the filtering log. Problem is that (with Flash installed in Chrome), the Adguard browser extension does block videoplaza.tv. When adding a @@videoplaza.tv^ exception rule the video content is displayed.

P.S. I (maybe just) noticed that Peter Low's list is now also available, great thanks

Regards Kees

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

@avatar

AdGuard on-screen, lower-corner icon no longer appearing. This behavior is very recent.

Have done a clean reinstall but NADA. The program appears to be working, as it triggers "please turn-off your ad blocker" requests on sites that do that, and left-clicking shows adguard - enable/disable.

Same using FF/Chrome/Opera

Can't find any setting for making the icon appear in the GUI.

Is this because the WOT extension has been disbled by defaulto_O

v. 6.1.314.1628

WIN 10 AU 64X

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  21. avatar

Yep, indeed, thank you! Though I can't fix it right now as oneskyapp.com seems to be partly down due to AWS outage.

Are you sure the log is empty? I see the problematic blocked request there: http://nl-sanoma.cdn.videoplaza.tv/crossdomain.xml

I guess we'd better remove `videoplaza.tv` from the DNS filter or too many video players would be broken.

@hawki
    Could it be that it is this issue?

22. anon

anon Registered Member

Update:

23. Why would you block content delivery networks like Akamai and Cloudfront or media content distributors like Videoplaza.tv or Uplynk? The reason I always preferred your spyware filter over easylist is because your fikter has most dead wood (websites out of business) and over suspicious privacy (web experience reducing) entries removed (and as a result is half the size of easylist privacy).

Needless to say I use your DNS filter now in stead of Easylist (original adblock). For the average user in the end of the day the web-experience is what counts most. Balanced (seamless) filtering is better than big bulky block lists. Keep up the good work :thumb:

Regards Kees

24. paulderdash

@hawki Do you mean the Adguard Assistant extension?
    If you use Unchecky, that may be the reason, as it treats the Adguard extensions as PUPs and removes them.
    Apologies if I am misunderstanding.

25. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Great! Thanks for looking into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.