Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I noticed on healthcare.gov that AdGuard was the site certificate and I'm assuming this is the same company as I had AdGuard software installed. I uninstalled and AdGuard still shows as the site certificate but on other https sites it does not. Does anyone know if AdGuard is the site certificate company for healthcare.gov or is it still filtering traffic through AdGuard for some reason after uninstall?
    thanks

2. avatar

So Adguard was disabled already? What antivirus do you use?
    It may be that your antivirus also filters SSL and it has cached our cert

3. acr1965

This happened in two separate computers. I rebooted one and after reboot the correct was showing again. I've not rebooted the other computer yet.

4. avatar

Still looks like some sort of certificate cache. What antivirus and browser have you used on both computers?

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have to admit that waiting for new version of Ad Muncher couldn't be of more pleasure when Adguard took over the care for ads. Actually if I would like to use sarcasm I would have to express my thanks to Hurps Ltd. for their longlasting development of version 5. In fact it freed up a space to Adguard which took a reign over my browsers in the neverending crusade against ads, popups etc. Though, here is one inevitable consequence for Ad Muncher ... I don't wait for new version anymore because I don't need it. I have a replacement that does everything and even more and FREE. Hurps' case is a typical example of loosing of customers due to inability to keep up with the competition. A case study for a student of economic faculty. I'm sorry for Ad Muncher because it was one of my most favored applications. I'm even more sorry for Jeff who has been relentlessly doing his best to keep Ad Muncher alive and to defend Murray lately.

6. acr1965

The computer that rebooted to normal was Google Chrome and Pale Moon browsers and Eset Nod32 av. The other computer was the same browsers but Kaspersky av.

7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Ultimately I had to stop running Adguard.

It was taking up to a HALF GIG of ram, and the longer I ran it, the more ram it seemed to take. While people argue ram isn't all that important, as a gamer that plays heavy games, that sometimes use 75%+ of a systems ram, I argue it's crucial to have the most available of ram+cpu+diskaccess. I propose 'gamer mode' detection for Adguard, where it would detect full screen gaming type applications, and fire itself into a sort of low-resource, sleep mode until the game exists. That is if they can't get the ram usage in check.

Of course it failed to uninstall on one of my PC's, and won't allow me to re-install, so I have no clue how to fix that yet - it's been a recurring issue with it. I will check back on the next beta, and see how things are rolling. Using Adblock for now.

8. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am testing it since today and i am really happy. I just disabled HTTP SB to avoid conflicts. I might stick on this...
    Just 71K of RAM for me.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Interesting. On a machine I 'rarely' use, but has a 100% uptime (security system server), Adguard is only using about 80MB of ram.

On 'working' machines, it's spiked to well over 400mb+ of ram, every single one of them!

10. avatar

Could you please create a dump file (you can do it from Task Manager) and share it with me somehow?

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Will do.

On 4 machines it was spiked to 300-500mb of ram. On the security system server for the house, which never, ever, gets used for anything but that server, it was at the standard 70-90mb of ram. So something is going on. All 4 'used' machines it had spiked remarkably high. That's even after a reboot of the systems.

12. avatar

Just after reboot or after some time? Memory is definitely leaking somewhere, hope dump will help.

13. avatar

One moment I forgot. Dump MUST be created from x86 version of Task Manager (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe)

14. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I uninstalled via Advanced Uninstaller Pro. Ran CCleaner+CCenhancer, rebooted. Reinstalled with the latest installer, and the problem isn't happening anymore. Go figure. Now what do I do about the machine that shows Adguard not installed, but I cannot uninstall/reinstall it? Files are still there, etc. But it's not in program files anymore.

I will monitor the 5 machines here carefully, and create a dump if the ram spikes take place again.

15. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I put CleanMem Pro on all of my machines to keep the stray memory leaks and fragments down. So far it's actually keeping Adguard to a bare 'minimum', so I would say Adguard does have a memory leak somewhere. Adguard is using only 51mb of ram (both processes included) now with CleanMemPro running it's polling every 15 minutes. That's a remarkable savings over what it normally runs!

16. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I found CleanMemPro throttles the memory usage of AdGuard as well.....Brings it down to about 48mb on my setup W7 x86...Both processes

17. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Indeed. For the record;

-hxxp://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem-

Well worth the $4.99 licensing fee. I found it keeps my Blue Iris Security System Software from leaking ram, so I can keep my uptime. That and ProcessLasso essentially provide unlimited uptime, and remove memory leaks, and thread fragmenting.. Priceless.

Actually, it's keeping Adguard even lower now. Only about 32mb of ram total! So yeah, I would say Adguard has a few memory leaks.

Attached Files:

18. clubhouse1

I've set memclean to auto run on both processes if they exceed 50mbs.

19. pegas

pegas Registered Member

You can try its extension. It is very light in my Opera Chromium browser and doesn't slow down browsing at all.

20. avatar

Today we'll start Firefox extension alpha test. Doc is our beta-tester so he will have access to it.

21. avatar

I am sure that if it were leaks - this program could not free memory without breaking Adguard.
    So I bet the problem is memory fragmentation. Usual problem for .NET apps.

22. clubhouse1

Avatar, I'm using it within the perimeters I've mentioned, its still functioning for me, and I've used the element blocker since with no problems...To be honest I'm leaving as it is unless I do encounter any, I assume the updates won't be affected?

23. dogbite

Typo here. It was 71MB..

Sorry.

24. avatar

If this problem was common we would have found and fixed it during the beta-test stage.
    It's hard to say what cause that enormous memory usage in Doc's case without memory dump.

25. dogbite

Is google analytics blocked by default?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.