Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I do remember this. Also Gmail sniffing email contents for ads, I cannot believe anyone would use Gmail knowing this! Also it's been established Gmail 'checks' email content beyond ads, like that employee at Google that was stalking people via email content. Logic tells us - if they automate scanning that 'someone' can view those results as they will STILL be there.

Conflict of interest is huge. Tivo for example used to actually block commercials as they were playing, and they removed the feature. Now they sell monitored user actions to advertising companies. I remember Magnavox made a TV that muted commercials - they quickly stopped selling it. Most corporations seem to lack strong morals/ethics, and generally don't do what is in the interest of the individual, but rather what impacts their bottom line. That's the whole problem with this world, and it's why we have toxic food, poisoned water, and everything else that stinks.

I wish companies would start doing what is right, and realize this GAINS them customers, and sales. Lavabit shutting down is one example, and you can bet his next project will be massive because people respect his strong consumer stance. I shop at Costco because Costco backs me up, every time, offering a lifetime refund policy on 'junk' products. I spend $17,000.00 a year there because of that. Doing what right can pay off, trust me.

Smart people find ways to stop ads in everything. I haven't seen a commercial, or web ad in a LONG TIME to be honest. I haven't clicked on an advertisement in a decade. I'm not even sure why everyone wouldn't be this way - frankly. PS: Remember when Cable TV didn't have commercials? I do.. Logic was - people are paying for it, and therefore they don't need to sell ads.. Yup, the good ole' days in that respect - we paid for Cable, and didn't get commercials. It was glorious!

2. avatar

All this "Privacy" thing is very american. Products like Ghostery or Disconnect are very popular, but in US mostly. Don't know why, but other countries people are not concerned about their privacy so much.

As for me, I have a mixed feelings about it.

On the one side I know what data is stored and used for this targeting. More than 5 years ago I worked for one big RTB company. So I saw what it is - improving ad performance. For them - people are just numbers and nothing more.

On the other side when I see all these ads that use my search history on some third party website - it's a bit scary even for me.

It depends on what the majority of people consider right. As I see it majority is ok with what Google do. I don't say it's good or not -- it's just how it is now.

No I don't.:) Russian cable TV channels mostly do not have commercials (or have a very small amount comparing to over-the-air tv channels).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Just installed AG 5.9 on my Win7 x64 system and I noticed that the tray icon is yellow and not the usual mint-green color (see screenshot).

When I used v5.8 it was always green.

Does anyone know why?

UPDATE: I disabled Protection through the gui and then Enabled it - and that solved the issue. I'm going to leave my post just in case someone else encounters the same thing. BTW kudos to the developers. 5.9 is a great improvement and I finally have found a replacement for AM.

Attached Files:

4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Any conflicts with Emsisoft 8.1 ( Surf Protection)?

Adguard seems to be great ...

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Glad to hear it. They've made stunning improvements in 5.9, and it's an absolutely perfect replacement for Admuncher with no downside, only positives. I've uninstalled Admuncher, and moved on - officially - since 5.9 Adguard arrived.

As for incompatibilities, there should be none with any AV. Kaspersky has had issues with it in the past, but that can be overcome by enabling WFP filtration in Adguard. This will also allow Adguard to filter Windows8X apps, and other things.

Also, 5.9 supports user scripts;
    http://blog.adguard.com/en/?p=86

Attached Files:

6. Rules

Rules Registered Member

No problem here.

rules.

Attached Files:

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Does anyone know why this is happening?? any way to fix it? I am mainly concerned with the anonymox issue

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

My guess is Anonymox is like a proxy, and is overriding Adguards port level access in some way. Have you tried closing the browser, disabling adguard assistant in Adguard, then reloading the browser to see if it works?

Do you have the WFP filter within adguard enabled? Try with and without.

Also, I personally believe Teredo should always be disabled, it's a pretty big security risk. Go to Start, type CMD, then Ctrl-Shift-Enter to get into CMD with Admin privies, then enter; (one at a time until OK)

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
    netsh interface teredo set state disabled

If none of that resolves it, try posting the question here;
    http://forum.adguard.com/forumdisplay.php?30-General-questions

9. Overkill

yes it is an anonymizer...teredo i've disabled (thanks for the help) I have tried what you mentioned and still no luck

10. avatar

Looks like our certificate for HTTPS filtration was removed from (or was not installed into) your Firefox certificate storage.

This certificate is installed automatically when Adguard starts working. But it's very important that Firefox should be closed when we do this (that's why we prompt to close it during the installation).

So the easiest way to fix it:
    1. Close your browser.
    2. Disable protection in Adguard. Wait for a few seconds.
    3. Enable protection in Adguard on. Wait for 30-60 seconds.
    4. Open your browser. The problem should be solved.

If it does not help, please take a look at this article:
    http://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/21/10/the-connection-is-not-trusted

Sorry for the technical difficulties.

If you tell us when this error has appeared it will help a lot.
    Just after the installation? Or everything was good for some time? Maybe after some Firefox update?

Teredo is disabled automatically if you use WFP driver.
    Look here to know why: https://www.google.com/search?q=utorrent bsod

We've tried multiple solutions but if you install more than one WFP driver it becomes unpredictable. So we used this workaround.

If Teredo is critical for you - I suggest using TDI driver instead of WFP.

11. Overkill

Thanks I will try what you mentioned...any workaround regarding my addon anonymox? It simply will not work when adguard is installed

12. avatar

I cannot reproduce it - anonymoX works ok with Adguard.

So I think that it does not work for you either because of certificate problem or because of some other extension.

Could you give me a list of extensions you use?

13. Birdman

Possibly a bug in v5.9 - I disable "Adguard Assistant" but it randomly enables itself. This has happened a few times now. It refuses to stay disabled.

14. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Same, just reported this on their forums.

Edit: I discovered a temporary fix for this. (actually it may permanently disable AdAssistant - which I want permanently disabled anyway, but reversible)

Go to C:\ProgramData\Adguard\userscripts\adguard_assistant

When you enable adguard there are only 2 files in the directory. When you disable it, it places a temp.lock file in the directory which instructs adguard assistant to not run. Simply disable adguard assistant, and make temp.lock READ ONLY through right clicking, properties. Now it cannot be enabled by you, or the program.

Tada!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. avatar

Confirmed, thank you!

Fix will be available this week.

16. avatar

Good reverse engineering, Doc:)

17. Birdman

Another thing worth pointing out: sometimes flash videos do not play (black screen; clicking "play" icon does nothing) until AdGuard protection is disabled > then click to play video > then click to enable Adguard Protection again.

I've noticed this on Yahoo and on CNN when trying to play a video. Using latest version of Chrome browser. FYI.

18. Overkill

I am using the portable version of FF, it still gives me the certificate error and my extension still won't start after trying your suggestions

19. avatar

Have you changed profile files location?
    We scan standard locations like %APPDATA%, looking for certificates database.
    I guess it's your profile placed somewhere else and that causes certificate issues.

Could you give me a link to your portable FF distributive? I'll check it myself.

Or we could try teamviewer if you ok with it.

20. avatar

Sometimes we could "break" web sites, especially video players. They stop working because of some ad domain is blocked. We fix it asap, so just report it here or to our support.

--
    Fixed cnn.com.
    Didn't find this problem on Yahoo (tried tv.yahoo.com). Where should I look for it?

21. Birdman

Thanks for fixing CNN so quickly. I'm not exactly sure where on Yahoo I encountered this issue since it wasn't on their main page. If I come across it again, I'll let you know.

Also much props to you and your staff for v5.9. It's noticeably faster and smoother than v5.8. The sluggish boot time issue is completely gone. Looking forward to v6.0.

22. wmn

wmn Registered Member

@avatar

Hi,

will adguard have a french translation and french filter soon?

Thanks.

23. avatar

Yes, we'll add french translation in Adguard 6.0.
    French filter will be added also (maybe sooner than 6.0 release, we'll see).

24. avatar

First patch for this release is ready and available for update for all users.

Version 5.9.1080.5519

Changelog:

* Fixed parental control and browsing security block pages in Internet Explorer
    * Some minor fixes of userscripts
    * Parental Control now could be temporary enabled even if you use Standard license
    * Fixed Assistant versions synchronization in UI and in Extensions settings

25. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Whether or not the acceptable ads settings are on or off, I can't see any difference - it does a great job regardless.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.