Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yeah my thoughts as well. Not sure why I need an extension with the AG app is doing everything that I need.

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Also not quite sure what the AdGuard extension offers on top of the AdGuard itself ... maybe someone can enlighten us?

Maybe just easy disablement for currently browsed sites.

I have AdGuard Assistant extension also enabled within the application, but, unless it is due to some other reason, that 'floating icon' has disappeared with a recent AdGuard version, perhaps disabled because of the the browser extension? @avatar did indicate, either on the forum or to me personally via email support, that the extension in 'integration mode' was preferred.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  3. 142395

142395 Guest

Other than aforementioned reason for filter developer, it makes sense for those who didn't enable HTTPS filtering for whatever reason. Otherwise I can't think of any added value, only @avatar will know.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

It works on sites where the AG Assistant doesn't appear.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Today is one month since I installed AdGuard for Windows. Good time to toss out some statistics.
    Yes, it's all quite anecdotal. The imaged stats represent one person's use.
    A second computer, also with AdGuard for Windows, records about 25% of the 82K - 41K counter.
    - Any theories on why the blocked trackers are almost exactly 50% of the blocked ads? -
    That percentage has been very constant for this past month.
    AdGuard 1 month stats.jpg

6. plat

plat Registered Member

paulderdash: I still have the little green shield on every web page. :doubt: It's integrated with the extension, which is showing as blue, like it's supposed to. Also have Adguard Assistant enabled. When I found it was missing, there was an error message on the user interface. So, I reinstalled and re-activated the software and it's back now. It's supposed to be there all the time, right?

adguard.PNG

7. paulderdash

Yeah, I'm just missing the little green AdGuard Assistant shield recently. (red-arrowed there). No great shakes ... I do also have the blue extension icon.

Just wondering where it went. Just tried reinstalling Extensions>AdGuard Assistant>Settings>Reinstall but it doesn't seem to have brought it back.

Also can't find the previous settings for small vs large, and placement.

8. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

They are at the little green AdGuard Assistant shield the one you are missing :(

9. paulderdash

:argh: Of course, I remember now!

10. Freki123

Maybe try for a few sites if enabling "filter https protocol" while disabling "do not filter website with EV certificate" brings the shield back? (If you trust them).
    I got sites where there was no shield because of EV certificate or was it https? No other idea otherwise sorry.

11. paulderdash

Those are my current settings. Will play around, else try @plat1098 #2731.

Else just disable it - as I said, no big deal really.

12. 142395

142395 Guest

Just a FYI. It appears AdGuard Filter team have entered vacation, so reported problems such as missed ads or incorrect blocking may not be addressed soon.

Sorry, it was my misinterpretation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2020
  13. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks for the info. It seems, however, that their filters are still updated on a regular basis.

14. 142395

142395 Guest

You're right, at least BlazDT is still working. It's just my observation their speed of addressing issues have slowed down these 1-2 days. Usually they're very quick, it's definitely their virtue.

15. paulderdash

I find I often get Secure Connection Failed: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR while browsing on Firefox (on Wilders site, for instance).

Completely disabling AdGuard Desktop protection, via right-click taskbar icon, seems to resolve the problem.

Probably because it filters traffic through it's own servers?

Can anyone suggest a particular setting I could try disabling, rather than all protection, to resolve this? (I do have Browsing and most Stealth Mode protections enabled).

Edit: Solved, I think. Added wilderssecurity.com as an Exclusion under Settings>Network>HTTPS Filtering>Filter HTTPS Protocol.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

17. paulderdash

Haven't touched any SSL settings in Firefox ... that link above does state: 'or have other software that intercepts the connection and acts like a man-in-the-middle' which is what AdGuard does (and is one of its criticisms) so it could be AdGuard.

I have not experienced the issue on the Wilders site since my exclusion (though I had it now on the superuser site :D:rolleyes: ) - but it may be too early to tell ...

Usually, when it happens, if I try a site 2 or 3 times it loads, so I am not sure that it's a cipher issue ... it's almost seems more like a timeout issue, and I have a feeling the extra filtering is the culprit.

Disabling EAM has no effect, and creating a new Firefox profile would only be my last resort.

18. imdb

imdb Registered Member

https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solving-problems/connection-not-trusted

19. paulderdash

20. Freki123

Only thing I can add is I read this forum here alot using adguard paid and I have nearly zero problems with FF while ticking lots of adguards extra boxes. And we have the same https and EV settings. Nearly because ever week++ or so I have to refresh F5 a webpage which got an error message (never bothered to read which exactly)
    Could an dns proxy cause such things also?

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

when i was testing ag, i had the same issue. after manually importing the certificate as described in ag's support article, it was ok.

22. imdb

imdb Registered Member

it could. but it could be related to custom ag lists/settings too.

23. Brummelchen

In case of Emsisoft (not limited to those) you should disable ssl inspection for firefox.
    you have a ssl chain in system:
    web > eam > adguard > firefox

adguard (paid, premium) has its own dns service, but it can be disabled - recommended when using another one.

24. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

EAM doesn't do any SSL scanning.

25. Brummelchen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.