Additional Protection Needed

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Blackcat, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

At the present time I have a software firewall, an AntiVirus program and a spyware program on my laptop. I am considering WormGuard as an extra protective layer.

My AV program is KAV 4 with the script checker installed and running. Would wormguard therefore offer me any more protection than KAV? When on the internet, you can see the flashing icon of KAV's script checker, checking each page.

I have just downloaded the trial version of WormGuard but I would be interested in any comments on the above. In particular, whether WormGuard can offer protection which I still need.

2. muf

muf Guest

I run both KAV4(with scriptchecker) and WG 3.1 an my system and i have had a couple of occasions that WG has alerted me to a suspicious file where KAV ignored it. I have as yet not had WG confirm a worm detection that KAV missed, but i only bought WG two weeks ago so its a little early to say.

One thing i will say is that because WG is a hook and not memory resident, at least it doesn't take up system resource and its there running in the background and may just grab that 'new' lethal worm that other software misses. Only on the day that it does that will you know that the $30 was money well spent.

muf

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Muf. I was going to uninstall KAV scriptchecker but I will now run the 2 together. Can these programs give false positives as AV programs do?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Blackcat, WG3 does not use a database or lists to check for nasties it uses other methods as described here: http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/
    I had an email from a friend whilst he was visiting Indonesia, in the email hes describes getting a "virus infection" WG picked it up and gave me the choice of previewing, deleting etc. Once previewed and obviously not infected I was able to allow the emal through.
    So having the ability find such text & to be able to preview the problems is one of WG's strong points in my opinion.

HTH Pilli

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Blackcat

Yes, what Pilli says. :)

WG most certainly will provide a fantastic layer of protection to your other apps.

In addition, you can have it block VBS, etc. in the "Blocked Editor's List" [if you already haven't done so] which will stop another major cause of infection via scripting.

Cheers.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I've bothj on my system as well and never saw the KAV SS popup, while WG saved my life several times. I love the possibility to view a file's source in the save mode to be able to decide to run or delete, etc, not to forget the blocking against intrusion from nasties from websites, etc etc.
    Jason is working in the version 4 and promised to make WG4 visible with a systray icon, to do lots more.
    Tassie shows us already the alternative alerts editing in the actual version :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.